“Home from home”

Royal Harbour Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Ramsgate
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Second time my wife and I stayed at this hotel and will definately return again.
The room we had was on the back overlooking the lush courtyard garden,this room was larger than the seafront room we had last time. The beds are so comfy with feather pillows and clean.
The breakfast is fresh cooked to order and there is also a wide choice of cereals,fruit,juices,honey comb ,cakes smoked salmon, cold meats cheeses etc and free newspapers. The free cheese board after 9pm is a nice touch which my wife and I enjoyed with a nice glass of wine from the honesty bar. Love the snug room at the back comfy settee flat screen tv computer loads of books and double doors which led onto the beautiful courtyard garden . Staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel is very tastefully decorated and it is like you are in a time warp with the gramophone records old fashioned radios and many historic paintings it is certainly not a typical bland modern hotel, it makes the place feel warm and comforting and I imagine the log fires in winter add to that feeling.
The only minus point is the stairs we were on the 3rd floor and there is a 4th floor but there is no lift so this may present a problem to less mobile guests.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back although they do not have a seaview are larger. Request low floor if you have dif...

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Friendly and professional welcome. Room tastefully decorated with a seaside theme, four poster bed, lovely little balcony with a view of the harbour. Chocolates on the pillow and good choice of tea and coffees in room. Very clean. Complimentary cheese board in the evening. Amazing choice of old vinyl records to play in the lounge. Excellent cooked breakfast with plenty of continental style options. Ideally located for the town with restaurants even closer. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: It's worth paying the extra for a sea view
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the first time last year and was very impressed with it, so much so we have just returned home from spending another weekend there,the bedrooms are very nice the beds are so comfy with proper feather pillows and lovely and clean,the hotel is so welcoming its like going home to visit your nan wonderful, David and Jill who run it are so friendly and cannott do enough for you,(just like all the staff there), breakfast is fantasticthe choice is amazing,fantastic views over the harbour,its also close to all the good resturants and town, I cannot give this hotel enough praise,fantastic place to stay so much so before we said our goodbyes we booked to go back again later in the year, once you have been ther once you will want to go back time and time again, Well done to everybody at The Royal Harbour Hotel.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife and I had a short break in Ramsgate where we stayed at the Royal Harbour Hotel. The location was perfect giving us lovely views over the harbour which at night looked wonderful. Also within about 200 metres of the Royal Harbour were several restaurants all with outside tables overlooking the harbour. We had a meal in the Bon Appetite that represented great value. We started with muscles, followed by cod. I suffer from a gluten intolerance which the chef dealt with easily. Also worth a try is the Churchill Public House. Turn right out of the hotel. The food here was incredibly good value and well prepared.

Turning to the Hotel we were greeted as old friends by the staff. Nothing was too much of a problem for them. Without being over intrusive they frequently checked if we wanted anything or was there anything they could do for us. Larger hotel chains would find it very hard to match the standard of service at the Royal.

Our room was clean thoroughly each day as was the whole hotel. Each evening a complimentary cheeseboard was available with an excellent range of cheeses on offer. Breakfast was a delight. The range of food was very good and for those who like a full fry up this was available. As I said above I suffer from a gluten intolerance which was handle well by the kitchen.

In summary I cannot recommend the Royal Harbour highly enough. It is so pleasing to stay at an hotel which is not part of a bland chain. While some guests may find some of the art work on display rather eclectic I found this to reflect a welcomed personal touch.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2013

This is a hotel with character, and is what it says in the blurb, amazing views, nice staff and fantastic furnishings in the main hotel which makes the hotel comfortable and interesting. A pleasant small court yard garden and in easy walking distance of eateries. i would return.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I booked this at the very last minute having had a frantic day driving round Kent GP practices to drop off info on our NOUS ultrasound service, I was tired and extremely irritable. Beautiful entrance hall, wonderful lounge with an honesty bar and a hidden garden, again with its own honesty bar. If you imagine what you used to think a hotel was in your tiny minds when you were children, this is it! This hotel is perfect, 20 rooms crammed into 2 conjoined buildings sounds too much, it isn't , the hotel was full and I didn't know anyone else was there until breakfast! If you can't manage stairs, ask to be on the first floor. The rooms are beautifully decorated with high quality linen. Bottles of water in the room and the usual team asking stuff. All the public areas are delightfully adorned with various artwork, some modern, some not. But the effect that is created is one of tranquility and calm. Just what I needed. I didn't have a sea view, but the view from my breakfast table was just that. Home cooked ham, cheese, a fridge full of bowls of freshly prepared fruit salad, bowls of strawberries, raspberries and a heated box for the pastries. See you don't need a vast platter of bacon and crap sausages, ,you could have cooked if you wanted it, and it was done for you. The best bit however was the entire honeycomb for guests to take a slice of. I have much more work down here and will definitely be back, it also isn't that far from Dover or Ashford if you wanted to break a cross channel journey up. Kids would love it as I mentioned before.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs or can't do them ask for a low floor, parking is limited too, my ro...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Lovely hotel with stunning views from some of the bedrooms. (make sure you book the sv room if that's what you want).

Firstly I'll explain my low score, then I'll highlight the fabulous points.

I've given this a score of 3 instead of a 5 because the room I'd been allocated stank of dirty nappies. I was shown to the room and as the door was opened the smell hit me. I know it also hit the nose of the member of staff (he mentioned it later on), but despite the hotel being quite empty, he did not mention the smell, or ask if I was ok with the smell, or suggest a change of room.

So I opened the French windows to see if the smell would clear, but it didn't.
So I walked down the 3 flights of stairs (might be a problem for some people) and mentioned the smell. He said he was just writing a report about the smell. And immediately I thought "well why didn't you mention it in the room?".

I was moved to the room next door, which had a strong smell of cleaning products.
Having walked a very long coastal walk that day I opened the French windows and lounged on the bed to read a book. As I lay there for about 20 minutes, a dirty nappy smell started to rise in this room too.

So I went downstairs again to request another room. I was told that there had been a plumbing issues with the 2 bathrooms in these rooms....I wasn't impressed.

So I was now left with the choice of a room with no sea view, or a tiny single room with no French windows.(ALL 3 rooms I saw were TINY)

The rooms are numbers 15 and 16. Check they've fixed the plumbing before you turn up on a busy Saturday night!

OK, so now for the good stuff.

Delicious full English breakfast cooked to order plus huge range of cereals, fresh fruit, yogurts, bread etc. Piping hot endless pots of tea/coffee.

Free extensive cheeseboard at 9:30pm every evening.

Comfortable beds.
Modern clean décor.
Sparkling clean bathroom.
Lots of hot water.
Free toiletries.

I'd praise the staff, except for the fact that they treated my like I either had no sense of smell, or they hoped I wasn't brave enough to complain about the room. BAD.

It wasn't mentioned when I checked out, and no discount was offered to compensate for having to move to 3 rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank MagicDawn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramsgate
Travelodge Ramsgate Seafront
#2 of 10 in Ramsgate
Burlington Hotel
Burlington Hotel
#1 of 10 in Folkestone

Been to Royal Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!