“Big hotel chains take note!”

Royal Harbour Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Ramsgate
SY11
“Big hotel chains take note!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

I booked this at the very last minute having had a frantic day driving round Kent GP practices to drop off info on our NOUS ultrasound service, I was tired and extremely irritable. Beautiful entrance hall, wonderful lounge with an honesty bar and a hidden garden, again with its own honesty bar. If you imagine what you used to think a hotel was in your tiny minds when you were children, this is it! This hotel is perfect, 20 rooms crammed into 2 conjoined buildings sounds too much, it isn't , the hotel was full and I didn't know anyone else was there until breakfast! If you can't manage stairs, ask to be on the first floor. The rooms are beautifully decorated with high quality linen. Bottles of water in the room and the usual team asking stuff. All the public areas are delightfully adorned with various artwork, some modern, some not. But the effect that is created is one of tranquility and calm. Just what I needed. I didn't have a sea view, but the view from my breakfast table was just that. Home cooked ham, cheese, a fridge full of bowls of freshly prepared fruit salad, bowls of strawberries, raspberries and a heated box for the pastries. See you don't need a vast platter of bacon and crap sausages, ,you could have cooked if you wanted it, and it was done for you. The best bit however was the entire honeycomb for guests to take a slice of. I have much more work down here and will definitely be back, it also isn't that far from Dover or Ashford if you wanted to break a cross channel journey up. Kids would love it as I mentioned before.

Room Tip: If you don't like stairs or can't do them ask for a low floor, parking is limited too, my ro...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Lovely hotel with stunning views from some of the bedrooms. (make sure you book the sv room if that's what you want).

Firstly I'll explain my low score, then I'll highlight the fabulous points.

I've given this a score of 3 instead of a 5 because the room I'd been allocated stank of dirty nappies. I was shown to the room and as the door was opened the smell hit me. I know it also hit the nose of the member of staff (he mentioned it later on), but despite the hotel being quite empty, he did not mention the smell, or ask if I was ok with the smell, or suggest a change of room.

So I opened the French windows to see if the smell would clear, but it didn't.
So I walked down the 3 flights of stairs (might be a problem for some people) and mentioned the smell. He said he was just writing a report about the smell. And immediately I thought "well why didn't you mention it in the room?".

I was moved to the room next door, which had a strong smell of cleaning products.
Having walked a very long coastal walk that day I opened the French windows and lounged on the bed to read a book. As I lay there for about 20 minutes, a dirty nappy smell started to rise in this room too.

So I went downstairs again to request another room. I was told that there had been a plumbing issues with the 2 bathrooms in these rooms....I wasn't impressed.

So I was now left with the choice of a room with no sea view, or a tiny single room with no French windows.(ALL 3 rooms I saw were TINY)

The rooms are numbers 15 and 16. Check they've fixed the plumbing before you turn up on a busy Saturday night!

OK, so now for the good stuff.

Delicious full English breakfast cooked to order plus huge range of cereals, fresh fruit, yogurts, bread etc. Piping hot endless pots of tea/coffee.

Free extensive cheeseboard at 9:30pm every evening.

Comfortable beds.
Modern clean décor.
Sparkling clean bathroom.
Lots of hot water.
Free toiletries.

I'd praise the staff, except for the fact that they treated my like I either had no sense of smell, or they hoped I wasn't brave enough to complain about the room. BAD.

It wasn't mentioned when I checked out, and no discount was offered to compensate for having to move to 3 rooms.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MagicDawn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Great location & sea view. Very friendly staff. Nice breakfast which set us up nicely for the day. It was a great base for exploring the town and attending the south east airshow. Would return if back in Ramsgate.

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We had a great experience staying there. The staff are friendly, the rooms are very clean and the immaculate state of the vintage furnishes took my attention.
We stayed in a full moon night and our room had a sea view, it was breathtaking looking at the moon shining the see from bed.
Really recommend staying there, shame I couldn't stay more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Epsom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is a quirky little place with amazingly happy, helpful & welcoming staff. Great views & location. The breakfast is also delicious & a brilliant & varied selection to suit everyone. I would happily recommend to others & return to stay there.

Room Tip: Re children's activities... They supply buckets & spades & fishing nets for the kids (to...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Birchington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

A real gem, beautifully decorated excellent service, extra touches make the difference; candles in sitting room, cheese plate in the evening, chocolate and weather forcast left in room every evening.
A great place to stay.

Room Tip: If you have a choice you will be lucky as it seems to be fully booked all the time.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Unfortunately i had to cut my stay short due to a family emergency. During a very stressful time the staff at the Royal Harbour Hotel Ramsgate made it a easy on me as possible, they organised flights, a taxi to the train station and even train times. I can not praise them high enough. I would strongly recomend a stay at the hotel to appreciate the service they provide. Thanks to all the staff. Kind regards. Mark Pettersson. County Wicklow, Ireland.

• Stayed June 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ramsgate
Albion House Ramsgate Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kingsgate
Burlington Hotel
Burlington Hotel
#1 of 10 in Folkestone

Been to Royal Harbour Hotel? Share your experiences!