“One of my favourite places”
Review of Marmalade - CLOSED

Marmalade
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Love the atmosphere here.. Great food and drinks.. Staff make you feel welcome. Lovely little sun trap in garden.. And a real fire inside.. What more could you want :)

1  Thank salhasto

Reviewed June 23, 2013

We were in the area for the airshow on Saturday and we walked past the Marmalade Cafe mid-afternoon looking for somewhere to get a decent sandwich as we were dining later on. We decided to go in and immediately we should have realised things wouldn't be up to much as we were the only ones in there apart from a loud American! We ordered a pot of tea for two and two cappuccinos and four sandwiches (one tuna and mayo, one "marmalade honey roast ham" and two cheese and pickle). The drinks arrived, the tea was okay but the cappuccinos were awful! The sandwiches arrived one at a time over a period of about 20 minutes and were accompanied by side salads covered in pepper!! After another 15 minutes a basket of sad looking (and horrible tasting) crisps arrived. During our time there we watched one member of staff cleaning the shelves in the cafe and then start cleaning the mirror above the fire... Surely this is a job that should be done before opening or after closing?? Another couple of customers came in and ordered scones or cake I believe. One of the staff took a cake stand off the shelves she had been cleaning and proceeded to wipe around the cake stand with her hand, I presume to get rid of any dust, and the started putting cakes on it! It felt generally dirty... The table we had felt greasy and dirty and when I looked at the cake stands on the counter, with the glass/plastic covers, they could have done with a very good clean. For £5 for a sandwich I would expect a lot better quality bread and ham, I certainly wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend it... If I could give less than a 1 I would!

3  Thank Rachael J
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Gorgeous decor, and good for tea and cake, but a rather frustrating lunchtime experience.

A request for olives as an appetiser resulted in a free but weird offering of three sweet biscuits.

The home-made salmon and horseradish quiche was delicious but the salad was a bit tired and skimpy. If there had been some salad potatoes alongside, that would have made a decent lunch, but the only remedy was to have dessert - pancakes - and one plate was served about 10 minutes after the first.

We were told they were rushed off their feet - but the place appeared to be empty. So overall it was a rather frustrating experience.

But - the decor and furnishings are delightful, and we had the price of our drinks knocked off the bill - without asking - because of the delays.

A good place for tea and cake, but maybe not for lunch.

2  Thank Ffoodie
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I took my Mum to Ramsgate today for a trip down memory lane. We were lured in by the promise of smoked bacon and stilton tart, but unfortunately there was only one piece left. Rather than argue we went for the brocolli and stilton soup - it was wonderful. Served with a great wedge of scrummy bread, a pot of butter and the soup was hot! The coffee was good too with a homemade biscuit on the side. The waitress was lovely and I'm very sad that I live to far away to visit regularly! Wish I hadn't been so full so that I could have tried the cake!!!!

1  Thank Marian H
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had wonderful coffee here today on delightful retro china. The attention to detail,furnishings and artefacts are second to none.Marmalade deserves to thrive.