Stonelees Golf Centre
More attraction details
Owner description: Whether you're a total beginner, an improving golfer, or an expert looking for a test, there's a golf course for you at Stonelees Golf Centre, located in Ramsgate on the beautiful Kent coast.Some golf courses boast that they are seriously challenging. That's fine for the expert but no fun for the beginner. Some courses are short with no serious difficulty. That's fine for the beginner but boring for the better golfer. Stonelees is the golf centre that solves this problem by offering a golf course for the beginner, a golf course for the "average" or improving player, and a golf course for the low-handicapper.Stonelees is one of the few golf centres anywhere that offers three distinct golf courses, with each one becoming more difficult.We have a Par 3 course, an Executive course, and the full-length Heights Course which means that you can enjoy a game at Stonelees, whatever your standard.
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Great course with awesome facilities. Good range of courses as well as great driving range. All at good pricing.

Bar area and shop also excellent. Highly recommended.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Wakeym

Kent
“Wow!”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I used to play stonelees a few times a year before I moved away. After coming back over Christmas to visit family I thought I would have a few holes with my father in law. Not having been there for at least 5 years I could hardly recognise the place. What was in essence a smallish clubhouse with a bar restaurant and shop squashed into one small place is now a fabulous spacious area. They have a huge american golf discount store and the bar and restaurant is now spread over the previous part of the clubhouse allowing for more room.

The second noticeable thing was the long course. It was now fully complete! And what a course it is! Having had so much rain we expected the course to be wet. The fairways were wet under foot in areas but winter rules meant we could pick and place so it wasn’t too much of a problem. The greens were fantastic, I was so shocked and surprised with the condition of them, you couldn’t fault them. I will defiantly to try come back down this way in the summer to experience it in what I imagine will be tip top condition.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank Dale S
Ashford, United Kingdom
“wonderfull club”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

i played at this club last week for the first time and after all the rain we have had i was very impressed with its condition .The driving range is very well layed out and spacious .I also found the staff polite and helpfull .There is also a golf equipment shop there which looked very well stocked.We had our lunch there as the club house also serves food which was well presented and good value for the money.Although we only played the heights course the other two course that are there did also look in great condition .On the whole then if fancy playing or even taking up the game stonelees is the place to try.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank claire t
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Played golf at Stoneless today and had a great experience down there, the courses are lovely and the service is great, the facility's are really good and the staff made my day so much more enjoyable. All 9 hole course's are kept in such good condition and we sat in the club house after and had some lunch, it was a really nice dining experience. All on all we had a great day at Stoneless Golf Centre and i strongly advise if your looking for somewhere to play Stoneless is a great option.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Jake F
Canterbury, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Ridiculous Club”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

A golf club that aims itself at being accessible, yet has some of the most pretentious and snobby members I have ever had the displeasure of meeting.

On my first trip in around June I played with one friend. We are both competent golfers with handicaps of 12 and 14. I am also considered as a very long hitter of a golf ball, averaging drives of 290 yards. On our approach to the first tee on the heights course, we were greeted with two elderly gentlemen. One of these gentlemen could hardly walk. Both preceded to hit drivers from the tee, neither travelled more than 100 yards. The first hole is only 311 yards long and as such in the summer could well be reachable by myself. These gentlemen both managed to take more than 10 shots each to even reach the green. Upon completing the first hole, we found these gentlemen on the second tee, yet to take their shots. We politely requested if we could play through, especially as the second hole had a green I could reach with a fairway wood. The response from these gentlemen was that they were members and had no responsibilities to let non members play ahead of them. I would never play at a golf club that condoned this behaviour, so rang the reception and requested that the course marshall attended. When the marshall arrived, his response to us was "if you don't like it, don't play at our golf club." He then stayed on the second tee with us whilst I illustrated that the members were simply not golfers and were completely incapable of playing to a suitable standard. After waiting 20 minutes for completing the hole, the marshall said he saw nothing wrong with the way they were playing.

When we finally made it to the two par 5's, both my playing partner and I were extremely frustrated. On the first par five, there is a water hazard around 200 yards from the tee, for many this won't even come into play. For the two members, after placing two tee shots short of the hazard, both then managed to place shots into the hazard, followed by their dropped shots and for one of the gentlemen a third shot into the hazard! I had decided that it was safe for both of us to tee off, as we would comfortably clear the two gentlemen. Which we did. We both then walked off down the fairway to our balls and carried on playing. We had managed to complete the two par fives before the two members had completed the first. When we reached the 8th tee, we were greeted by the marshall who tried to tell us that we had broken the rules of golf! Outraged, we sucked it up, appologised to the clearly stupid and ignorant marshall before completing our round. We had then managed to drink a pint each in the bar, order and eat a burger and chips (all of which were actually quite good.) and get up ready to leave before the members arrived back into the clubhouse.

Despite swearing that I would never return to the course, I was offered a free round by a friend who had been given vouchers to play here. This was on 2nd January 2013. We expected the course to be wet, maybe having to lift, clean and place on some fairways. What we were greeted with was perfectly playable greens and nothing short of lakes on the fairways. It was a struggle to actually even find the balls on the fairway. It wasn't limited to certain parts of the fairways either, on two of the nine holes, the entire fairways were flooded with 3 inch deep water. One of the holes that appeared playable from the tee, turned out to be so bad that when I attended my plugged ball, the nearest point of relief was over 100 yards behind where my ball actually landed.

I play golf all year and understand occasionally soft and wet conditions during winter. What I don't accept is that when you aren't warned at the club house that it is incredibly wet on the course, to the point where the majority of other courses would have closed. When I walked off the course, I had mud inside my shoes. The courses should have been closed. When I complained to the reception, the response was "well, it is winter.. Its not going to roll around out there!"

What finally tipped me over the edge was when I went into the american golf store on site. After having a look around at the clubs, I realised that there were actually more left handed clubs on sale than right, incredibly unusual. When a member of staff approached to see if we were OK, I said yes, but asked as to why there were more left handed clubs than right when the majority of people play right handed. His response was that there are a number of left handed members at the club and they tried to cater for them! Apparantly to such an extent that right handed golfers can't buy equipment?

Simply ridiculous outfit being run by people who clearly have no idea how to run a golf club or proper business. Visiting the Pentland Golf courses would be a much better idea, or if a more accessible course is what you require, Manston Golf centre has a better course with better facilities and far friendlier staff.

Visited June 2012
5 Thank Luke R
Stonelees, Manager at Stonelees Golf Centre, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Luke R

Thank you for submitting your review.

We strive to maintain an excellent level of customer service and so naturally are very concerned when we don't achieve this. We are sorry that you had a negative experience at Stonelees.

We are very sorry you were not happy with the service from our marshal. The marshals are an extension of our customer service team and so we shall be looking further into this.

If it is possible, could you give us a rough estimate of the time of day and day of the week when you played the Heights in June, then we will be able to speak to the marshal in question.

Regarding your visit on 2nd January. Again, we are very sorry that you did not get warned about the wetness of the course. From your picture (and from the fact that there were no vouchers redeemed for the Heights on 2nd Jan), we assume that you played the Par 3, which is our lowest lying course. We had been advising customers to play the top half twice as the bottom half (where your picture was taken) was quite wet. This area was also marked off. Again, we are very sorry that you were not told about this arrangement, this should not have happened.

Moving on to American Golf, we are not sure how it came about that there were more left handed clubs than right, as this has never been the case previously and certainly isn't the case now.

We reiterate that customer service really is of the highest importance to us and we will be acting upon your comments to ensure this does not happen again.