“Terrible”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
leicester
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2011

Avoid this restuarant at all costs, over priced poorly cooked food. My starter of King Prawsn in Garlic - how can anyone serve empty over cooked booked prawn shells at nearly £8 and get away with it? The wine was barely cool, the rest of it was mediocre and the waitresses willing but didn't know the food or what they are about! But nice to be with the family - together in adversity

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank jcmdiver

Harlow, Essex
“An unexpected suprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2011

Having seen some of the negative reviews on this place we where not sure it was a good choice, but it turned out to be a very nice surprise. We where looking for a quick meal and an early night after a long journey so just went to the first place we came to.
We where the only people dinning in the restaurant. Downstairs the bar was busy and the outside tables where full. The service was excellent, the food good and the views over the marina where great.Cant fault it for the price of £25 per head with booze.

• Visited August 2011
2 Thank mrfoodanddrink063
london
“A lovely experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2011

We are quite local to Ramsgate but would probably not have visited this restaurant if we hadn't won a meal voucher in a charity raffle. However we are so glad we got the opportunity to sample it. It is situated in quite a lively strip but has such beautiful views over Ramsgate Harbour. Not sure I would like to be there late at night when the bars would be buzzing and noisy with young people but at the time of the evening we were there, between 7.00pm - 9. 30pm, it was quiet both inside the restaurant and outside.
The service, contrary to some other comments on here, was excellent from start to finish.
The restaurant was clean and modern with spectacular views from the first floor with large windows overlooking the harbour which changed as the sun set to a beautiful, twinkling vista. The staff were friendly and attentive.
The food was excellent. We ordered some olives while we pondered the menu, which was quite extensive, and drank some very good and moderately priced wine. I started with taramasalata with very hot pitta bread which was too much for me to finish. My partner had calamari which, although fresh and hot, left him wanting more.
We both chose to have kleftico as a main - even though we hate choosing the same dish usually. However the waiter recommended it saying it was freshly out of the oven.
He was so right - it was delicious with the lamb falling off the bone. It was so large I couldn't finish it. It came with rice and a large Greek salad however I asked to substitute the rice for saute potatoes and they obliged readily - and the potatoes, again more than I could eat, were lovely cooked with Rosemary. We were unable to manage a desert so cannot comment but I imagine it would be in the same vein. The whole bill including a bottle of wine and a beer came to £53 which thought was very reasonable - especially considering the portion sizes.
We would definitely visit this restaurant again.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank rooLondon
Watford
“Better Than The Old Cavallino!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

Visited the new Vista bar and restaurant last weekend and I must say its fantastic. I got value for money food here, half the price of what I would have to pay at home (Watford) and better quality here. I used to stop in the owners old place Cavallino but Vista has outdone it completely! We sat upstairs in the window and what a view - fantastic! I had a fantastic Bruchetta and T-Bone steak as main. Loved every bit of it. This is a place we will make a point of coming to eat in again in the near future, its by far the best venue in Ramsgate. We finished our food and went down to the bar to find it had transformed itself into a real classy evening venue, we were able to sit outside listening to the music with drinks and even had a little boogie with the wife! We didn't end up leaving till 1.30am!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank watford_timothy
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Ruined Cavallino's”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2011

Cavallino's was my favorite restaurant for years. The fire destroyed the 1st one and when when I discovered the second on was moving, my whole family booked a table for opening night which coincided with our wedding anniversay.

After waiting for 45 minutes for our drinks and someone to take our order, we were getting a little grumpy but the prospect of their outstanding food kept us there.

Our tale struggled to get any attention from the staff but a table of 10 girls on a 'Hen Do' had 4/5 waiters hanging by their table all night.

Food ordered, we then waited almost 2 hours for our food, a lot of which was sent back. Under cooked chicken, cold veg etc. My Medium rare steak was cooked to perfection though.

After sending some dishes back 3 times, one of our party spoke to the hostess. The hostess acussed her of shouting at her (which she was not, a common ploy to shut someone up in the restaurant).

We had been there for over 4 hours, struggled to get any service and were still waiting for a sweet menu. We gave up, settled the bill and left.

It was such a disappointment, I have never been treated so badly by a restaurant and I am yet to go back. I used to love Cavallino's but after that night, I have been put off.

I might go and try again because Cavallino's had the best food in Ramsgate by far..... I hope it was just opening night problems although the rudeness of the staff is unforgivable.

I would not recommend Vista until I have tried them again and the above issues resolved.

• Visited August 2010