“A beautiful view with good food, what more could you want?”
Review of Belle Vue Tavern

Belle Vue Tavern
Ranked #30 of 203 Restaurants in Ramsgate
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Cliff top Shepherd Neame Tenanted Pub with large patio overlooking Pegwell Bay. Reservations are strongly recommended as this establishment gets extremely busy, especially during the Summer months
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I thought I had written a review in June when I first came here but unfortunately I had forgotten to upload the photos at the time. In June we visited the Belle Vue to see if it would be a suitable venue for 15 people to have a meal for my mum's 70th. We had a delicious lunch with good service at that time, and mum booked it for July. Yesterday, we came with the group for her birthday lunch. I arrived early and asked Shirley and Tony if they wouldn't mind me decorating the table, no problems. I set up a tab at the bar and we checked everything was in order. Everything was ready, we just had to meet and greet as people arrived. Shirley and the girls at the bar were very welcoming and helpful. The guests enjoyed a drink outside with the glorious view, better than try to socialise in a restaurant or inside a pub somewhere else.

We had booked a table upstairs. Staff are friendly and efficient and took starters' orders quickly. Starters on Sunday are things like Breaded garlic mushroom, melon, soup and delicious fish cakes, mains are a good roast with side veggies or as 3 of us on the table were vegetarian there is always something like vegetable wellington or goat's cheese tart plus there are always fish options. Desserts: pavlova, chocolate gateau, ice cream etc. The food is good and I am sure that if there really isn't something upstairs on the main menu you could have something from the bar or BBQ.

On Saturday, there are options such as whitebait, fish and chips, liver & bacon and also vegetarian. I think that it is a great choice for all! Portion sizes are also good, service is prompt and you are not pushed to vacate the table if you wish to stay and chat a while.

The atmosphere was friendly and you're not pushed as you are in some restaurants to buy more alcohol, but the waitresses/bar are always there if you need a refill.

Outside, there is a BBQ for families, I haven't tried that but it all looked very well arranged. What is lovely about this tavern is there are nooks and crannies inside the pub where you can sit in privacy and comfort, outside is a vast area where couples of any age or groups can enjoy a get together or quiet drink. Equally you can eat inside or outside.

Shirley, Tony and the girls are very cheerful. I really appreciated coming to a place where the staff are friendly and not grumpy, simply wonderful. Will definitely go again, I have lived in Broadstairs and it really makes a pleasant change to go somewhere different with such a lot to offer. We will try it one evening or lunchtime during the holidays.

I am quite fussy, I couldn't find anything to dislike here. I didn't use the toilet but others did and said it was 10/10, everywhere else is sparkly and clean.

Thank you to you all for making this day such a success!

Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Have been to this lovely pub before and decided to go last Sunday. As before I found the staff pleasant and helpful, so I am surprised to read some of the comments on here as they have never been rude. The BBQ was good, a tasty Cajun chicken sub and great views looking over the bay.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stumbled on this pub. Super cliff top location overlooking Pegwell Bay with a large terrace. I'm a Shepherd Neame fan and they have their full range available and in good condition. Didn't try the food.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Having been to the Belle Vue many times on weekdays and thoroughly enjoyed the extensive 'bar menu' whilst sitting on their stunning veranda, I was disappointed to go on a Sudy to be told you can either sit insde and have roast or sit outside and have BBQ
We were assured by the bar-person serving us that it wasnt just any old boring BBQ but with lots of tasty choices
To me tasty choices means things like kebabs, slouvaki maybe, home-made burgers, bbq'd joints etc so the selection of shop bought beef-burger, veggie burger, chicken burger or a steakwich didn't really tantalise
However, we were there so thought we would give it a go. Sadly even the usual 'ciabatta style' bread was replaced with mass roduced burger buns and hot dog rolls; we all felt that our meals lacked the flavour and standards we had got used to receiving in this establishment. There were no options to add any ind of side and, whilst the small amount of salad garnish was appreciated, I have no idea what was with the tortilla crisps?
If you're a food pub going to do a BBQ then my advice would be make it slightly more adventurous and tasty than your avery burger/hot-dog/veg choice in a bun
Sadly will not be rushing back here to eat
As an aside, what is it wiith blokes insisting on removing their t-shirts on hot sunny days...please, if you must do it, buff up!!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Judging by other reviews it seems that I'm not the only one who thinks the staff are grumpy and rude! The location of this pub/restaurant is excellent and on a beautiful summers day you can't beat having a drink on the decking outside overlooking the sea with the sun beating down. We called into this pub on the way home from a day out (7/7/13) to watch the sun going down. We went outside with our drinks, I took a sip of my wine, a Syrah apparently, and it was revolting. I took it back to the bar to change it and was refused, being told that if it was up to him he would change it but he wasn't the boss so that is what I had ordered and he couldn't do anything about it and anyway i had drunk some out of it!! i said that yes i'd had a couple of sips and he then bent down to examine the measure line on the glass!!! On trying to reason that i had misheard which wines were on offer (i thought he said Shiraz) the barman said did I expect him to give me £5.60, (the cost of a glass)then he told me he'd meet me half way if I paid him another £2.80 he'd change it! I then tried to appeal to his better nature to do me a favour and make my experience of this lovely little pub better, he refused, I thanked him for his "help" and he turned his back on me!!!! Obviously this was my fault for not trying the wine before I purchased it but I was completely miffed about the attitude of this staff member. I thoroughly enjoyed the sun going down with my glass of vinegar...NOT!!!!!! However, I will not be put off from going to this pub, but my advice is do try the wines before ordering as you will get no redress if you are unhappy. Staff seriously need training in customer service.

1  Thank PITSKent