“An Oasis in a desert of Mediocrity”

Alexandra Ristorante Italiano
Ranked #29 of 199 Restaurants in Ramsgate
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Alexandra Ristorante Italiano, Pizza, Pasta, Vino established since 1987, overlooking the picturesque Royal Harbour Ramsgate and Yacht Marina, the only Royal Harbour in the United Kingdom. We are the only Italian restaurant with Italian origin in Ramsgate and offering a wide choice authentic Italian pizza and pasta including locally sourced meat, fish and vegetarian specialities. Free on the road parking after 6.00pm and 24hr Pay & Display public car park. Easy access for disables, everything is on the ground floor.
England
“An Oasis in a desert of Mediocrity”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

This Italian restaurant has been owned and managed by the same Italian lady since 1987. During that time she has had to cope with any number of problems including structural issues with the restaurant building itself. She is still there going strong!

My wife and I have been eating at the Alexandra since its earliest days and, sadly, both we and the owner have aged considerably since that time. Our children used to love to eat here and we always try to visit whenever we are in the area. An opportunity arose last Sunday lunchtime (early August 2014) and we popped in for a drink and a pizza. What I have always liked about this restaurant is the quality of the food and the cleanliness of the restaurant itself. Ramsgate is hardly a premium area for restaurants and we tend to be careful about where we eat.

Since out last visit the exterior scaffolding has disappeared from the building and you can now sit outside to enjoy the delights of watching the world go by. The inside of the restaurant is also in good order. We had a Romana Pizza this time around and you really could taste the anchovies; the pizza base was thin and the rim crispy............just how I like it.

If you like good pasta and pizza give it a go. I'll be surprised if do not enjoy the experience.

The kitchen of this restaurant is graded 5 by the UK Food Standards Agency.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank ygor705

London
“Rude waitress owner!”
Reviewed July 31, 2014

I agree with comments with regards to waitress/owner. The food was ok, but feel with the location & elegant building, with the right service this could be a pleasant little Italian gem. How ever the older lady looks like she isn't particular happy to be there!!!

3 Thank Sparklest
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Ah, such a shame...”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

This is the second time I had been to this place - both times with the same friend, and dogs. We sat at the same table today as last week, and the waiter went to get us a sunshade - it's hot in Thanet! Out issued the dear lady who apparently owns the place. So, she told us to move, waiter brought over a sunshade and was told to take it away again - we asked her why, as we had sat there but the week before and no mention was made of moving. 'Fire Escape' she hissed, raising herself up like a cobra to baby bunnies, 'And you will be more comfortable over there' This was blatently a lie, as the tables were placed there when we arrived, and we had sat there before. Besides, I like to decide where I will be comfortable, not some serpent in brown garb.We did move, and she disappeared, serving people who had arrived well after us first. VERY SURLY AND UNFRIENDLY SERVICE - food was pleasant enough, although I had to ask for black pepper, had I asked for anything else, I think she might have exploded, unless, of course, she could charge you for it. I don't care how good the food is - people are paying you, and you behave with decorum, dear lady, or they will not return. I will not go again and as I am a local I will cetainly make sure I tell my friends about this place - plenty of other much nicer restaurants on the harbour and in town. It's a pity, because even though I don't care for pizza, these were quite good and the location is great - however, it's not the only place on the sea front which sells decent food. ( Also they do not allow dogs inside - WHY NOT? My dog is cleaner and quieter than any child)

5 Thank Moll_Black
AlexandraRistorante, Manager at Alexandra Ristorante Italiano, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
The door is a fire exit for our building, the residential flats and 34 bedroom hotel adjacent, fact. As such, it has to be kept free from obstruction at all times, this was not only for others safety but also your own, although it's clear now that a swinging door to the head may even do you some good. Get it straight, the sunshade was brought over in order for you to move away and keep the passage clear, you failed to do so which is why you were offered another table to sit at.

How tripadvisor has deemed this review inoffensive is a mystery, seeing as it's a virtual copy of your previous one that was removed, even with the addition of comparing children to animals. This is not Crufts, we are not here to judge which dog is suitable for entry, so apply the same policy to all. We are on the hand a family restaurant and do our utmost to accommodate children, proudly so.

John
the waiter / management
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Did not fail on expectations excellent”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

We expected a lot as the reviews were all very good for this restaurant and we were not let down. A quick check at their online menu gave us an idea of prices and variety of food - we were glad to see that we could have either Itallian or locally sourced specials which caters for everyone's tastes. One thing we couldn't ascertain was if they had a children's menu and if they catered for them or tolerated them. I knew they helped host the recent Easter egg hunt and were very doting on my little man so I knew they were fond of children - however after sitting down it became obvious that they were not accustomed to serving a separate menu, however they did have booster chairs to sit children in - so I was a bit confused, was it family friendly or was it an adult establishment? I asked for a side plate for him so he could share as luckily he has a small appetite. We were offered a straw with his apple juice glass bottle and swiftly after two close encounters asked for a glass. Young man was very pleased with the garlic pizza bread. And I was very pleased the very fresh olives for our nibbles to start. The owner over saw the service nicely and she made sure that when cutlery was laid that they laid the child's on my side so I could opt to give him my cutlery if I wished. A nice touch. The staff were attentive and easy to get a hold of. When we entered the restaurant was almost empty after we ordered mains it was full yet the service nor the food was compromised. We really enjoyed our food and we had nibbles 2 main pizza's (which were very filling) and two deserts and a coffee, 2 wines and two apple juices for about £50. All in all a nice pleasant meal with fresh tasty food 3 courses for 2 1/2 people not budget not over priced just right for a treat out.

London
“Authentically Italian with a harbour view”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Lunchtime on Friday and the place was empty, which concerned me a little, but Mrs P had made up her mind. It was bright and sunny but a little breezy so we sat inside. Only one front of house staff, a lady with an Italian accent who we took for the owner

We both ordered pasta – spaghetti Bolognese for Mrs P. and penne arrabiata for me, two glasses house red and some fizzy water.

The lady came back from the kitchen to tell me that the arrabiata sauce would be hot and would I prefer to change my order. ‘Hot as you like,’ I replied, never ever having a hot arrabiata in any restaurant.

Simple meal, but by golly, they were absolutely delicious. Mrs P. said her sauce was one of the best she’s ever had; my arrabiata was definitely the best I have. Thick favoursome tomato sauce with black olives and a noticeable chilli kick.

I’m always dubious of buying wine by the glass as you don’t know how fresh it will be, but this house wine was yummy, a very good choice by the house.

We had views over the harbour and also dishes later diners were having outside – including an attractive plate of char-grilled vegetables.

Giving praise for the Bolognese sauce, the lady named the farm where they buy their meat from and told us they use steak for the Bolognese.

I had but one regret and that was we were passing through. Next time we’re in Ramsgate we want to have dinner there and try the rest of the menu.

• Visited June 2014