“Great Place!”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hadn't been for a while and just dashed in for quick lunch from the £5 menu, as I prefer to have nice surroundings. I had fish and chips, and it was perfectly fine. Service as good as ever and they are DOG FRIENDLY which is very important to me as I like to take my very tiny dog with me - he's a lot less trouble than a screaming brat. Can always recommend Age and Sons...

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We booked a table for 2 for 7.00 on a Friday night. We didn't know the area terribly well (on holiday nearby) and it was a little difficult to find. There is no on-street parking nearby and the restaurant is upstairs, so this would not be suitable for someone with limited mobility. The staff greeted us in a very pleasant manner and we were shown to our table straight away. The tables in the upstairs dining room are very close together, so when it is full, there isn't much room for the waiters to move around (this might explain the reported spillages in other reviews) but they were beautifully laid with fine linens. Each table also had an open salt and pepper dish, but no spoons, so I was a little put off using them at the thought of other people's fingers having been in them. I was disappointed at the very small number of dishes on the menu. There was really nothing that grabbed me, so I went for a safe option of salmon with a salad nicoise. This did look lovely when it arrived, but the salmon was almost raw - I don't like fish overcooked, but this was barely sealed on the outside and still dark and cold on the inside. My friend ordered steak which was cooked to his liking and well presented. The dessert was very good though - a Paris Brest with amazing morello cherries, which was really delicious. My decaf coffee was not great though - I think it might have been instant. The waiting staff were mixed - and we had three different guys serving us throughout the meal, which was a little disconcerting. One admitted that he'd 'only worked here for 3 hours' and he didn't know about things on the menu or whether they had decaf coffee. One was quite pleasant and helpful, but the other did sort of 'look down his nose' at us - I think that someone who was a little less confident in themselves might have found him intimidating. I thought the prices for the food would have been very good if the meal had been properly cooked - they weren't terribly busy for a Friday evening and so there wasn't really any excuse. I don't think we'd go out of our way to go there again - it's a shame because someone has obviously spent a lot of time, effort and money on the look of this place - they now need to get the really important stuff right.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

The portions are tiny. which would have been okay if they had been well cooked, it is an expensive looking place and it was supposed to be a treat, so you expect to pay a bit more. However the batter on the fish was so thick - perhaps in an effort to make it appear bigger, that the part closest to the fish was still totally liquid and raw and the fish itself only semi cooked. It was returned to the kitchen but no offer made to reduce the bill or replace it only the plus side the coffee was good and the tartar sauce was excellent.

If you fancy nouvelle cuisine portions for a full sized price - give Age & Sons a try - it is quite a nice building and it had plenty of space even when other places were packed out, generally a bit of a clue really. If on the other hand you want a nice piece of fish, the Sunrise is only round the corner and if there aren't any seats you can always get a takeaway and go eat by the harbour and get a real seaside experience.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very poor service we waited over 40 minutes between first and second courses; indifferent food - I ordered a fish curry - this was a lump of fish, some plain rice, a lump of spinach or some unidentifiable green veg and then a splash of some kind of curry sauce on the side - horrible! It was poor value. We expected far better.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

This restaurant may not have the views of those on Westcliffe but the food quality is definitely superior and the wine list is good too( try the excellent house red at only £15 a bottle). The set menus are great value. The service is good. A contender for the best restaurant in Ramsgate.