“Unwelcome addition to a meal spoilt the experience”
Review of Age & Sons - CLOSED

Age & Sons
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were looking forward to lunch at Age and Sons as it has one of the best reputations in Thanet, but the experience was mixed. We had the set 2 course lunch and the quality of the food was good. The starter of leaves and mozzarella was good with one exception which I will mention at the end. My wife and 2 children has the mushroom risotto which I also tried and thought tasted great with good flavours. One word of warning both the girls didn't like it so much as they are used to a cheaper but more creamy sauce. I had the curried fish which was well cooked and really nice. I went for main and starter and so had a creme brulee which I though was not quite set and had quite a runny consistency, but still tasted great. My main concern with the meal, and my wife did not tell me the full story till we had left as she knew I would have made more of a fuss, was the large blue bottle she found in her salad leaves. She politely stood up, pointed it out to the waitress and was given a replacement dish with a polite apology. My gripe is that was it was still added to the bill, which I would not have paid had I known. Every business makes mistakes and it is how they are dealt with that separates the really good ones from the average ones. Others may disagree but a polite apology is insufficient to deal with a large blue bottle in a salad that should have been spotted before service, so I'm afraid we will probably not be back, such a shame.

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We enjoyed a clotted cream tea at Age and Sons. It is not that easy to find (behind the Cafes) on the street behind Travelodge. We are a family with all sorts of special needs and requirements dietary and otherwise and they went out of their way to accommodate us. The tea was lovely. We sat inside but then moved out to the courtyard as the sun came out and our youngest wanted to run around. The custom made gluten free cakes they did for us were perfect. Slightly more scones than we could eat. The people were welcoming and helpful.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

The misses and i ate here for breakfast. It took well over 45 mins for the food to come out when it did it was not up to much. Sausages wasn't even cooked they was still pink in the middle. When we complained the chef didn't care and the food was brought back to us with nothing said. Over priced rubbish.

Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

Called in for a breakfast snack while waiting for shops to open, ordered a bacon sandwich as shops opening in five minutes. After twenty minutes I asked if I had been forgotten, to be told it won't be a min its in the oven!! When it did arrive it consisted of the nastiest bit of fatty bacon I have ever had the misfortune to see slapped between two pieces of skinny bacon shaped toast... REALLY.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We booked 6 months ago - but were rather expecting the restaurant to be half empty in these challenging times as it is on the expensive side for the area. We were mistaken - as when we arrived it was already buzzing!
Very attractive setting with formally set tables with a variety of (unmatched) bone china crockery which was a novelty.
Pleasant staff with a french sommelier and an extensive wine list, covering a range of prices
Overall it was an enjoyable evening but there were a few points which are worth noting:
- it was very hot, even with the windows open.
- it was also extremely noisy as a result of a live band performing in the pub on the opposite side of the alleyway (only a few feet away) which detracted from the atmosphere
- we had a very long wait for our dinner, particularly between the first and second courses. The waitress apologised (twice) even though we hadn't complained and said it was due to the fact they had a large party in that night
- the crab cappucino was not enjoyed by those who ordered it
- the 2 steak orders were muddled (and the medium rare order was more medium)
- the "rack of lamb" was effectively 2 lamb chops!
- when the waitress served the bread she lent across us instead of walking round to the next person
These may sound like picky points - but the restaurant clearly aspires to be of a top class standard and a few little changes could easily improve this.