“If you like luxury you won't like this.” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Spencer Court Hotel
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Ramsgate
Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“If you like luxury you won't like this.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014 via mobile

When walking through the door it felt like stepping back to a recession hit 60's B&B. If your a fan of anything remotely luxury you might (will) want to avoid it. It's sad interior has an instant effect on you and it has that over cooked cauliflower smell that I remember from my Nan's house. We stayed in the penthouse/attic room that looked as if it used to be the bedroom of a strange child. We only had a sink in the room and had to climb down a set of borrowers stairs to use a communal bathroom equipped with a borrowers sized shower. Despite all this I actually quite liked the desolate charm on display, and although I wouldn't want to stay there for any more than one night I thought it was suffice. I can't say the same for my wife however. She was less than impressed shall we say. There was no curfew and we had a decent quiet nights kip with a hearty full English in the morning. I probably wouldn't stay here again but with a generous amount of love this ramshackle spot could actually be a decent little gem. Saying that it was fully booked both nights we were there so who am I to say.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank scizzahz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Maidenhead
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed two nights in a twin on suite room in this establishment. The positive part of this stay was a friendly manageress who was charming and took time to talk to us and tell us about local parking and sightseeing. The TV worked and was modern. The lounge was OK and made a pleasant break from the room.
sadly we did not have a good stay. The bedding was dingy. The mattresses were ancient and very uncomfortable. The room was dirty, as was the cramped on suite, complete with other peoples hair and grime. The carpets were worn and filthy and there was a whole in the wallpaper above my bed. The reading lamp did not work and there was no hairdryer. The room furniture looked as if it came from a municipal tip and there was no chair to sit on. The breakfast room was dark and dingy with sticky plastic mats and grubby cups and cutlery. Not worth the price and unbelievable that it has 3 star rating... do something, please, to improve what could be a nice hotell as the location is great.

Room Tip: I could not recommend this place in its present state...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helene H

Travelers are raving about these Ramsgate hotels

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

after a cock up with original planned stay somewhere i found this lat minute and at £35 a room with a hearty full english chucked in cant grumble, the lady seemed to graft to make stay pleasent, room was fair size and had all required ie shower , hot drink making facilities freeview tv. although decor etc a bit old its what makes these guest houses/bnb's what they are so not an issue for me, only short walk into ramsgate centre makes location decent too as does the free parking outside , likelyhood will use again if need to stay in area

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank thechelskiranger
Warminster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2014

I don't know where these bad reviews came from, but I had a good stay! I only stayed for 1 night, but would definitely come again.

The staff were very friendly, polite and helpful, and went out of their way to help me on more than 1 occasion. Room was a very reasonable price, and included a tasty cooked breakfast.

Facilities were good, with a spacious room & a pleasant view. Everything I could have needed was available and worked well.

Location is fantastic, right near the waterfront and the main high-street, and not too far from the train station.

Overall 5*

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank BJCoppin
Gillingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

I booked a double room with balcony through booking.com with the view of enjoying wine on the balcony, as advertised and arrived with my husband on Saturday for a relaxing weekend in Ramsgate to be told on arrival that a single room had been reserved for us and that I had made a mistake. Also that a room with balcony could not be pre-booked and that they would determine which room they provide us with. We left on amicable terms to find accommodation elsewhere.
The following day I received an email from Spencer court hotel to apologise that they couldn't offer the room required and that I would not be charged however the hotel then informed booking.com that I was a 'no-show', and that I had asked for a double room on only on arrival. I was notified that I may now be charged for the double room which they claimed I did not book.. Once I contacted booking.com to sort this out they were able to confirm that I did book a double room with balcony and apologised for the way I was treated by the hotel say the hotel had not been honest with them. I was extremely disappointed that the hotel could firstly make such an error and then insulted that they would blame me for it!

Room Tip: I would recommend looking elsewhere before approaching this hotel. We were lucky to find an alternat...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank helen h
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

We were recommended to stay in this Bed and Breakfast accommodation by a friend because it was good value for money and very "English". The location is superb and our room had a sea view across this beautiful square with manicured lawn and Tennis courts,very romantic setting, Wifi was free

I was shocked to find out that Van Gogh the legendary Dutch Painter lived a couple of doors away in one of the elegant regency town houses making up the square!

The Guest House was clean and comfortable and the Manager lady was so welcoming I felt like home. The hot prepared to order, breakfast was grand, The B & B can do with some refurbishment, but for the amount I paid I would come back again and again.This establishment has a personal touch.

Room Tip: ask for sea view rooms if available
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gary w
Malaga, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Perhaps as its the end of the season there is some excuse, but the hotel is a bit well worn and could do with a revamp. However our room was clean and comfortable and had a nice outlook over the gardens and tennis courts to the front and a sea view in the distance. The bed was comfortable and there were tea making facilities etc. We had an little en-suite shower room, the TV worked well but the advertised wifi did not reach our room which was very inconvenient, but worked in the lounge downstairs. The full English breakfast was very good. Overall for £50 it was not bad value, the lady running it was friendly and we were lucky to park only a few yards away as the road was full apart from the space we found.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple