“Excelent food, great atmosphere.”

Blakes of Dover Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 176 Restaurants in Dover
Cuisines: European, International
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: hotel,Bistro also down stairs cellar bar with selection of ales and ciders and a selection of malt whisky's
Reviewed November 23, 2013

After visiting Dover castle this was a great place to get a bite to eat and a pint of real ale. The people are friendly, and that's not just the staff. I would highly recommend this place

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We wandered in here at the end of our weekend in Dover because we had passed it the day before and it looked cozy, plus I had read some great reviews on here.

We were the only ones there (about 5:30pm) and the man serving was very accommodating when we told him we only had an hour. We were seated at the window and ordered fish and chips and lasagne. The food came quickly and my lasagne was fairly large and came with a salad and chips. My partner didn't like the fact that there was a pool of grease floating on top of the cheese (I'm guessing the meat isn't pre-cooked and drained) but to be honest it was cold outside and I welcomed the extra bit of fat! :) I found it to be tasty and the salad and chips were also good.

When they brought out the fish and chips I thought it was just a normal fish and chips (albeit a bit large) until my partner cut into it and it turned out it was pure fish. In my experience, there is usually a piece of fish inside a large friend bit but this was solid fish! I swear there must have been a pound of beautiful white fish inside and my partner said it was very good (I don't eat cooked fish so didn't try it). He was very happy with the meal and he can be hard to please with food!

We decided instead of rushing off to catch a train we'd hang around for an extra 40 minutes and have a stout for 'dessert'. They serve Murphy's, not Guinness, which is fine as we quite enjoy both. We then just relaxed and chatted as more people began to arrive until it was time to go.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place and I'd look forward to going back in I'm in Dover again!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We happened across Blake's and were delighted that they had a table for two. Excellent food and very generous portions.

Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Food and service fantastc I had the most amazing fish and my husband traditional liver and bacon for four of us four large glasses of wine four main meals two coffees two sweets just under eighty pounds and if you go down into the cellar bar and out into garden its amazing. Will be recommending and most definitely going back

Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Not many good places to eat in Dover but this is one of the best we found. Good choice on the Menu and the food chosen was excellent...good service and a lovely atmosphere in this small but welcoming Restaurant.