“OK - That's All!”
Review of The Arlington West Bistro - CLOSED

The Arlington West Bistro
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A small Bistro seating up to 25 people, fully licenced. Very close to Dover Port, opposite the marina on slip road.A warm friendly service with good home cooked food.
Ashford, Kent
“OK - That's All!”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

A group of us, consisting 5 persons, went to an Italian theme special here at the end of August.

This very small restaurant appeared to be the downstairs of a two-up/two-down house and that's exactly as it felt. It appeared to be family run, which is fine, but family members were dressed very casually (jeans & trainers) and, overall, this did not have the ambience of a Trip Advisor #1 rated establishment.

The downstairs bar, which didn’t have the aperitif my wife wanted (Campari) and which served bottled real ale chilled and the special Italian lager at room temperature, wasn't a really bar at all in my opinion. Well, as a CAMRA member you would expect me to notice such things, wouldn’t you?

The food was OK but my relatives and friends cook and prepare meals equally as well. As I have indicated above, I prefer to eat out in restaurant atmosphere.

What I will say, in defence of the establishment, is that it was fully booked but for me this was just like eating an average meal at somebody else’s home.

• Visited August 2012

“Just as it was a year ago Excellent”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

A huge Thank You for your kind hospitaility , excellent food and service. I stummbled across your Bistro a year ago looking for Chip shop after returning from Paris. Pleased we never found it.... we returned after a year again on route from Disneyland to Middlesbrough bringing my In laws and step children. Your menue choices have something for everyone and at excellent rates. The food was delicious , tasty and excellent ingredients used. fantastic idea for the donations to the RNLI on your burger menue. You welcomed us with open arms, catered for everything we needed , extra tea was a bonus for us adults after French coffee for a week and Ben has not stopped raving about his icecream dessert Hidie made him. Wish you would branch out to Middlesbrough .. Thank you Again

Winchester, United Kingdom
“Just your average home cooked dinner”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

We booked based on the reviews of tripadviser - apparently this is the #1 restaurant in Dover. I doubt that is truly the case after eating here. The meal itself was acceptable, but no tastes or flavors that you would savor. And to top it off, served flat soft drink for the whole table.

Oriental fish cakes lacked the necessary punch and the only flavor came from the sweet chilli sauce on the side. The pork belly was chewy and a top of soggy boiled potatoes, surrounded by an overly sweet tomatoe mixture that drowned out everything else.

If you are looking for big servings of food and taste is less important, then you would probably enjoy this meal.

Obviously a family run diner which was comfortable and local, but unfortunately does not live up to the rating it has on tripadviser.

Northwood
“Fun place and great food”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I went for a birthday party and the hot buffet was great, chef Heidi knows her stuff. I returned the next day for Sunday lunch and opted for the brie and roast; I'm not keen on roast dinners but as the rest of my party were having it and there was a choice of meat, including my favourites beef and turkey, I had the same. Both were perfectly cooked and most enjoyable, a big plateful including stuffing, cauli cheese, roast and boiled potatoes and carrots with plenty of gravy. As before, the staff made us feel very welcome and even obliged with a "floater" coffee which many small restaurants won't. A thoroughly good meal and look forward to returning to the AWB next time I visit. Very reasonable too.

Sydney Australia
“Great food and lovely hosts”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

The hosts were very friendly and helpful. The food was delicious and the portions were very generous. The produce used was also good quality.
We actually returned on the second night in Dover to have dinner there again.

Visited July 2012