“Spot on for what I wanted”
Review of The Happy Chef

The Happy Chef
Ranked #15 of 172 Restaurants in Dover
Cuisines: British, Bar
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed March 27, 2014

We made a quick stop for a spot of breakfast and tea to warm us up. I liked the place a lot. Allthough not having been refurbished in the last years, the place was spotlessly clean. I even wondered and checked the floor's corners: no speck of dust. Tables are instantly cleaned PROPERLY. I saw the waitress making sure, when there's a quiet moment in service, to clean another table further away from costumers. If you are looking for a have a fancy designed artisan bakery, move on.
Service was very good: quick, polite, not overthetop grinningly friendly, but truly concerned with what you are here for, the food and if it is to your liking.
I had a very simple choice of beans, egg, bread. Not overwhelming, but absolutly what I came for and for that price you won't expect artisan farmfood stuff, but simple good cooking, and that was it 100%.
I think their pricing is absoulty reasonable. Pot of tea for the price of a cuppa, it seemed.
The punters are varied: families, builders, pensioners, a spot of clever tourists who go a little bit out of the way of the usual tourist traps (yours truly included :D )

The view is very nice. Not romantic or anything, but can really feel that there's still work life in the harbour.

4  Thank Lucie M
There are newer reviews for The Happy Chef

Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

It is one of the most coziest local cafés for breakfast.The full English is great but must try the Farmhouse as well as the Sticky Toffee Square dessert.There is a free wifi and a great view towards the sea.

5  Thank Alex65651
Reviewed March 11, 2014

They have such amazing choices for breakfast, cater for vegetarians as well. The food is perfectly cooked, and the service is top rate. I turned up one day for breakfast, they remembered me when I arrived 2 days later. On my third visit they asked after my husband who I had mentioned was in hospital. I did not visit for another 2 days, and they remembered me and wished there best to my husband. Not only did I feel like a special customer, but they made my days when I was feeling alone. Cannot compliment them enough, they are the best for me. Prices are also very reasonable. 10 out of 10 for all aspects of there service.

4  Thank maggie v
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Stopped for something to eat after a walk with the girlfriend.

I must say I throughly enjoyed my meal, I had the ham egg and chips which was lovely..
A pot off tea is nearly enough for three cups. If I'm ever back in this area, I will stop off again

6  Thank Adam B
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

Proper well cooked food and nothing seems to be to much trouble for the happy smiling staff. Very reasonable prices, cleanliness is obviously a high priority for the staff the dining area and toilets were spotless. These good basic roadside cafés are few and far between, keep up the good work.

4  Thank damoore1

Been to The Happy Chef? Share your experiences!