“Beautiful Hotel but a Poor Service”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Dover Marina Hotel & Spa
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Dover
London
“Beautiful Hotel but a Poor Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Went for a weekend holiday with my girlfriend and was very excited not until we check in. As we came in the back entrance of the hotel and straight to the reception. The receptionist saw us straight away from their back office. Thinking I will be served for the check in I was wrong we waited minutes before she came and attended us, not even an apologies for keeping us waiting or even a simple hello or greet us with a smile. That was the first poor service. As we had a long journey to get there we thought we will have a late lunch in the bar. As we sat at the table next to the window again we thought we will get some service we have waited for 15minutes so I went to the bar instead asking if I can order some food. It will be too long to mention all the poor service that we received from the staff. If it wasn't for the beautiful room and a beautiful view that we have that weekend would have been ruined completely.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TJM86
bwmarina, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Dover Marina Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback regarding yoru recent stay.

Please accept my sincere apologies for all the inconvenieces caused .I will make sure to retrain all my staff to improve the customer service level.

I would be grateful if you could get in touch with me personally either on 01304203633 or by email at gm@dovermarinahotel.co.uk so that we cna disucss this in detail.

Once again my sincere apologies

Anoob Saban

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Polish first
ohappydays
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed for two nights 28th Dec 12 - 30th Dec 12. Room 404
Reception team (John and Lucy) extremely helpful. Arrived and informed car park around the back and given a free parking pass. The hotel has two entrances, front and back. Our room was on the fourth floor and we had requested a sea view. Was not disappointed. The room was fairly roomy, however only had one chair (double room). Usual tea/coffee facilities, hairdryer, dressing table, tv. Iron and Ironing board in wardrobe. No trouser press (not that we wanted one but just pointing out) and no mini bar/fridge. Room was clean and fresh. Like a fellow trip advisor, we too noticed the toilet rim, not nice but the rest of the bathroom clean. We did have a bedding issue but this was rectified quickly and efficiently.
The evening restaurant team are equally helpful and the food cooked well. The breakfast on the first day 29th was great with an egg chef at the ready and plenty of the team around however on the 30th, we had to wait and eventually ask for the egg chef, the hot plates run out and the team seamed not so helpful.
The Bar team are fun and happy to chat. We also ate here on our second night where they offer a bar food menu. Lovely. Nice choice of whisky and brandy too. Rob should get a mention here for being helpful, loaning us a bottle opener for our own brought drinks in our room. TIP, as it was bitterly cold, we left our larger/beer bottles on the ledge outside our window.
Took a walk along the very clean beach and to the cliffs. We also walked to the castle and spent the day there.
Didn’t use the gym facility.
Will stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us.

I have made a note of all your positive as well as negative comments and please be asusured that I will work on the negative comments so that I can serve you better during your next visit.

Please do contact me directly so that i can make necessary arrangements for your next visit.

Once again my sincere Thanks

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

This Hotel's location is excellent for Dover area. The reception we received from the front desk was excellent all staff were very attentative to my husband and I as guests. We were very pleased with this experience.
This is my new favourite place to stay in Dover.
Truly exceptional hotel in a great location close to the Dover Castle and walking distance to the Dover ferry crossing.
The location is perfect, right on the seafront, just a short walk from town as well situated if you want a day trip to Calais as well.
The bed was very big and comfortable, it was spotlessly clean, and had all necessary amenities.
We had a very good bar snack in the evening and sat in the glass verandah area overlooking Dover port and the sea.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Xenahussain
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

It is good to know where we stand with regards to quality and customer service and feedback like yours will definitely help us.

Once again my sincere thanks and I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the near future.

Neath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Booked this hotel with 11 friends for the New Year Break. We all had a fantastic time. The hotel was very welcoming, the staff very polite and helpful throughout the busy period.

Our bedroom was on the fourth floor, my only complaint is that it was very hot even with the window open apart from that the room was clean and well stocked with tea, coffee etc.

This hotel is well situated if you want a day trip to Calais as well.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your valuable feed back.

I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.I have asked the Maintenance engineer to look into the heating issue of the room.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the near future

Cochem, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We happened upon this hotel thirty years ago and have used it many times since, for one night stop-overs. The location is perfect, right on the seafront, just a short walk from town and a quick drive to the port. We were a little disappointed this time though. The hotel used to be called The Churchill and its public areas spoke of a former time of late-Regency/early Victorian grandeur whereas now, the fake-Deco reception area and bar seem out of place. Still, this shouldn't be a deterrent. The hotel is clean, the staff friendly and helpful and the rooms adequate. Wi-fi is free (ask for a code at reception) but is a bit iffy in some rooms. Parking is easy. There are pay-and-display spaces right outside the hotel, or you can obtain a free permit from reception to park across the road behind the hotel. And finally, a tip for those who book a room without breakfast included. Just go next door where they serve an all-day full English breakfast for about half the price of eating in the hotel.

Room Tip: Book early and request a seafront room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your valuable feed back and I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.
I have asked our IT department to look into the WIFI issues .

Many Thanks again and I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel in the near future

Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I stayed here for a friend's wedding. The reception was first class, great food.
Room was clean but I spotted the toilet whilst sitting in the bath. Ugh! around the rim was disgusting. I do not think it had been cleaned since fitted'

My only complaint was the bar. I had a pint of very well kept Shepherd Neame Spitfire. Alas it was the only one I had as it ran out. The staff were eventually bullied into looking at it. The second pint was like mud. "It's ok" I was told.want to guess my answer to that?
Like many hotels the staff do not work slick enough. There were two functions on this evening and the staff could not cope. They must be trained to look for customers instead at looking at other staff and themselves in the mirror.
Breakfast at 08:15 was, I am sure cooked the night before. inedible!

Room Tip: Do not ask for a single. I thought that small rooms with a single bed stopped many years ago. I aske...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Great location on the sea front and sea views, stayed one night on business, good welcome clean room and good breakfast. Staff friendly and helpful. Plenty of parking out fron meter 9 am to 6 pm. Can walk to local places to eat or into the town, station about 5 minutes away. Would stay again if in Dover for Ferry or for business.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business