“It's like you're no longer in Dover”
Review of The Allotment

The Allotment
Ranked #17 of 173 Restaurants in Dover
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Traditional home cooked British classics and European favorites offering local & seasonal selections. Lunch. Afternoon Tea. Evening dinner. Vegetarian, vegan & Gluten free friendly. Game dishes. Kentish produce.
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Although I think you can have fun anywhere, and we definitely had fun in Dover, it was probably the most challenging place to have fun because it's pretty grim.
We got incredibly lucky with nice weather so our hike along the white cliffs was gorgeous, and the castle was fun too. The actual town is very depressing and bleak so we weren't sure where to eat, but we turned to Trip Advisor and found The Allotment. This was such a pleasant surprise. It was modern, trendy and fresh. The service was fantastic, the wine was great, and we had such a good meal! I felt like we'd stepped into a restaurant in a trendy part of London. Make this your number one destination for dining in Dover.
After dinner we headed over to the silver screen cinema - such fun! It's old school, complete with an intermission where you can have hot tea and more snacks.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

from the outside and once inside, this place is very appealing; high ceilings with rustic long plank cladding to the walls and a very cool lighting rig of suspended warm glow transparent incandescent bulbs.
we sat down and immediately noticed cold draughts coming from the walls. someone on the staff agreed that it was a problem. so we shifted over and it was a bit better. someone arrived with some 'freebie' side-plate dominated by a large piece of carrot. there was cole-slaw too. our hearts sank. cole-slaw?
we ordered some water and our mains; one lamb, one pork. the owner kept coming over and filling our glasses which meant we had to stop our conversation and wait. why? where does this ridiculous convention come from? do you all go out to have someone be subservient to you? i told him to go away and that we were both perfectly capable of pouring our own water.
the main events arrived. it looked like two cans of dog-food with cabbage and potato ....and a couple of green beans thrown on top to address the presentation problem. so, in effect, two cans of dog-food with green beans on top.
i had the pork. it was the driest meat i ever tasted. i only know it was pork because that's what it said on the menu....but it could have been anything....chicken, beef, cavity wall insulation....the mind boggled.
my dining partner's lamb was also unpalatable....though not as dry. she left some of hers. staff came over on three occasions and asked us to lie about our experience and the food. we obliged - what else can you do - tell them their food is merde?
ok, so we're affluent londoners who are used to good food and this was Dover after all....but the restaurant had been recommended by my dining partner's friend who i later discovered was stick thin - never trust restaurant reviews by skinny people; they have no interest in food.
the cabbage was quite tasty, as was the potato dauphinoise.....but we were so disappointed by the experience that we fled without dessert.

6  Thank Hackneybloke
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I usually just pop in for a coffee during the day and to have a bit of their cheesecake which is to die for! But my husband and I went for dinner and I was blown away. My steak was cooked to perfection the wine was gorgeous. We will be going again. Just a lovely atmosphere. The staff are friendly and helpfull. Cannot praise the allotment enough!

Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Everything from the flowing ease and politeness of the staff to the oversized chalk board menus is aimed at not bombarding diners or rushing anyone. Staff were attentive but also allowed us time between courses whenever we wanted. Food is exquisite. Nothing being too complicated leaves the chefs time to ensure every element is perfect. Complimentary salads served between starters and mains were unexpected, lovely and refreshing.
Whether taking a full evening meal or a mid afternoon coffee I would definitely recommend The Allotment. It breaks the unfortunate stereotype that seems to preside in Dover.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

We arrived in Dover for a weekend stay/day in Calais and was met with the most awful weather on arrival. Our day didn't get any better when we walked past a KFC, Wetherspoon's, Subway and tired and depressing eateries whilst finding somewhere for lunch. Thank goodness we carried on walking as we ended up at The Allotment.

The restaurant/wine bar has great decor; smart and modern yet simple and welcoming. Our waiter who we assume was the owner, showed us the giant blackboard and helped with with any questions we had on the dishes.

I had Lamb Dijonnaise and my partner had Cod with a Beurre Blanc sauce. We then opted for English wine (Chapel Down).

Both lunches were delicious and we were bowled over with the wine. I was very full but my partner had room for his home made apple crumble which was gone in a flash!

Should we ever venture to Dover again, we will be back for sure.