“It really needs a "good" rating - = 3.5”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Allotment

The Allotment
Ranked #14 of 170 Restaurants in Dover
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Traditional home cooked British classics and European favorites offering local & seasonal selections. Lunch. Afternoon Tea (vintage style). Evening dinner. Traditional Sunday roast.
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“It really needs a "good" rating - = 3.5”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2013

We are staying in Dover for the week and decided to visit this restaurant (particularly due to the name as we are non-meat but fish eating people). The restaurant itself is lovely and the service is excellent.

The menu choice was surprising quite limited for people who don't eat meat but I chose the carrot soup (which was lovely) for starter and my husband had the prawns and chilli (which he said were very good). The free amuse-bouche was wonderful and probably the hi-light of the meal for me. For the main course we both had the cod adobe which was very good but unremarkable. Then for dessert my husband loved his home-baked cheesecake (which he said was the hi-light of his meal). I had meringues with plums and a sweet berry sauce. The problem was that it should have been a pavlova (with whipped cream) - then the cream won't mix into the sauce therefore making it a pink sauce and the meringue would have been softer.

So all in all a very good meal - the main draw back was the constant beeping of the microwave in the background. I think it's good to have an open kitchen but I'm not sure about the use of microwaves in a restaurant. Would it put me off visiting again? Probably not!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Janey M

Dover, United Kingdom
“Good, simple and tasty food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

We live near this restaurant but have not had the chance to eat here until now. The menu had something for everyone and the food was fresh and tasty. Service was good and the staff very attentive. Was reasonably priced too.

Dover, United Kingdom
“Not worth the money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Very dissapointed. I had the burger and it looked like some minced beef, squished together, cooked (mostly) then put on a bun. The bun was a bit like the tesco wholemeal buns. It also tasted like the above. No flavour and no style. Had I not been there for my mother-in-law's birthday and on a time schedule I would have sent it back. It was also very noisy so we had to shout to hear each other.

Ordino, Andorra
“Surprisingly good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

The four of us quite often eat out together, but our last experience - not at this restaurant - had been extremely disappointing, so we approached this meal with mixed feelings. The initial impression was not good, simply because this is a small restaurant on a busy high street, and parking can obviously be quite difficult. When we arrived, one of our group said it looked more like a café than a restaurant.
However, once inside our perceptions changed considerably. The waitress was friendly, efficient, knowledgeable and very welcoming. We each had three courses, almost all different, and all of us thoroughly enjoyed the meal. The food was tasty, the portions ample even for a big eater, and there was not the slightest problem in getting exactly what we wanted - ice cream and cream added to a sweet, for example.
The bill was modest bearing in mind what we'd eaten and drunk, and we left feeling extremely satisfied. I would recommend this restaurant without hesitation.
The slightly unusual name, by the way, is because locals with allotments often visit and sell their surplus fresh produce to the restaurant, which I think is an excellent idea for all sorts of reasons. We'll be back!

• Visited September 2013
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Go try it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I just had a lovely meal in this wonderful little restaurant. The restaurant breathes simplicity in a very tasteful, modern, well thought manner.
The menu's written down on several large chalkboards across the restaurant & I love the open kitchen format as it gives you a great look and smell of what's being prepared.
It has a very welcoming atmosphere, great service and excellent food!

Go see for yourself, you won't be disappointed.