“Best Bistro...”

The Allotment
Ranked #18 of 175 Restaurants in Dover
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Traditional home cooked British classics and European favorites offering local & seasonal selections. Lunch. Afternoon Tea. Evening dinner. Vegetarian, vegan & Gluten free friendly. Game dishes. Kentish produce.
Reviewed March 18, 2013

On a chilly, wet and windy day visiting Dover with friends it was such a relief to see somewhere that sold food in an inviting and slightly quirky establishment.
Then we sat having been greeted by a tall, chilled gent (that did not look or sound unlike Mick Fleetwood).
What we ordered was nothing fancy and had a wine with it; what we got was a more than satisfying preparation of food with a local wine and local beer.
To say they knew what they were doing with what they had is an understatement.
I had the "crying lamb" which was a preparation of lamb slow-cooked over slices of potato (to soak up the juices) with a small sprinkling of cooked spinach on the side...sounds good so far? Tasted so much better. The hint of garlic and fennel in the spinach complimented the succulent yet still in tact lamb that only fell apart when you tried to get to the potato's now drenched in the juice (not fat) of the rest of the meal.
Our vegetarian friend was in the mood for a lighter bite that he wanted and happened to be two starters and his soup starter brought not only the colour back to his cheeks but a smile that only comes with culinary pleasantly-surprised satisfaction.
Another friend had the home-made burger and chips - all freshly made it was like a meaty pillow and the chips were superbly flavoured.

Not having room for a desert myself, a friend had the baked cheesecake and though my stomach was saying no, the rest of me was saying "ooh yes please".

I do like supporting local business and clearly these guys do too and the result is something I highly recommend and they should definitely be starred regularly.

1  Thank IWM21

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at The Allotment in Dover. The daily menu is cooked before your eyes in the open plan kitchen/ restaurant by Dave's excellent chefs. Dave is exceptionally welcoming and we took our time over our three course meal, which included a refreshing seasonal vegetable dish before the main course. The chocolate mousse served in a vintage teacup was a perfect end to the meal. We also stayed in The Allotment's boutique accommodation at 39 Castle Street. The individually designed suites are in an ideal location and make a unique stay in Dover.

1  Thank Olivia B
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We´ve now been a couple of times in this restaurant and we were always satisfied. Fresh, local food and a very friendly service! Prices more than reasonable!

1  Thank Paterstafel
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My partner and I headed to Dover last weekend on a Saturday daytime - don't ask me why - and, feeling hungry, had a quick google for local restaurants and came across The Allotment. I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. The restaurant decor itself is very pared back, almost industrial and there are no frills to detract from the food itself. The place was packed and felt friendly and welcoming. The kitchen is open plan to the restaurant so you can see everything being prepared in the kitchen. I had salmon and my partner had steak. Both were cooked to perfection and in good time. We had a New Zealand Sauvignon blanc and a crianza and both were very good. I agree with another reviewer that vegetarians could do with a little more choice however. Perhaps the best thing about the restaurant was the owner/host Dave? A charismatic and friendly man who obviously cares about his business and customers. We will be making the precarious trip back to Dover soon but this time for dinner. The Allotment really is a diamond in the rough.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

I took my gf to Dover with the goal of proposing. I had the moment all planned out, the champagne was already chilled in the B&B's private storage, all I needed to find were pancakes. I found online that the allotment was the only restaurant in Dover that sold them. When I went to the Allotment I was greeted by a man named John. I found out the Allotment doesn't do take out but when I told him my plans he was more than happy to agree. John didn't simply prepare outstanding sour dough pancakes. He went out of his way to add melted chocolate and fresh cream to these discs of love. Even though the Allotment doesn't usually do take out, John gave me an aluminum cooking bin for the pancakes and wished me well. Well I am happily engaged soon to be married and its thanks to the Allotment and a wonderful guy named John. I encourage everyone and anyone to go, the pancakes were fantastic and I'm sure all their other food is. But more importantly John and the Allotment care about their customers.

4  Thank David L

Been to The Allotment? Share your experiences!