“Pure bliss”

The Marquis at Alkham Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 175 Restaurants in Dover
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bus stop situated directly outside the Marquis. Service no. 91. Nearest train station : Temple Ewell ( Dover - London Victoria line) Please call for preferred taxi services.
Description: We hope you're feeling hungry... Look forward to robust, fresh flavors served with imagination and flair in east Kent's newest contemporary restaurant. Our Head Chef presides over heavenly menus that change regularly and use locally caught fish and locally sourced produce. The wine, beer and drinks list is also top notch. Old school... New World... Kent wines from Kent vineyards... Local real ales... Great taste is everything at the Marquis.
Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We visited the Marquis for a post-Christmas treat after hearing lots of fabulous reports and it did not disappoint.

There were 10 in our party and we opted for the tasting menu. Whilst courses were small, as others have suggested, this suited the flow if the meal and we were more than satisfied at the end of the meal.

Each course was divine and the wines suggested to us matched perfectly. The service was very knowledgeable, attentive but also discreet.

What a perfect start to the year!

Marquis A, Manager at The Marquis at Alkham Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Thank you so much for your coments. Hope to see you soon again.

Janus J Olason

Reviewed January 1, 2013

For ages I'd wanted to dine at the marquis, I'd heard great things.
Sadly I wasn't impressed. The food was presented very nicely, but, for one table of three we were given a desert spoon of cabbage a few carrots and 4 small florets of cauliflower. When we asked for more cabbage ( the amount we'd been given was laughable ) it arrived well after we'd finished our meal and was the saltiest thing I've ever tasted! Yorkshire puddings were burnt and we weren't able to give my daughter ( age6 ) a desert as there wasn't anything suitable.
Our table was placed very close to the couple sitting on the next table and we all felt we had no choice but to include each other in conversation as we were practically sat with these people we'd never met and could hear every word! Our quiet family lunch didn't turn out as planned!!
The decor is nice, the staff were friendly but there was nothing special about our food and certainly the table layout needs to be better thought out.
Shame.

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Unfriendly and unwelcoming, pretentious menu with very little choice. The pear tart was lovely and so was the fish course (although very small). However the amuse-bouche was extremely unpalatable and so was the butternut squash risotto. I am not a fussy eater and very rarely dislike anything to the extent that I did these two courses. The risotto had a nasty bitterness to it, very unpleasant. The service was very poor, the main waiter had a bad attitude from the beginning. We won't be going back.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Unfriendly & unwelcoming, no atmosphere, and one of the older waiters was downright rude. Very long wait inbetween courses. Hardly any choice, a few of the very small courses we had were very nice but would definitely not recommend the butternut squash risotto which two of us had & which was horrible. Would have been happy to pay the higher prices if the food and service had been exceptional which sadly they were not.

Marquis A, General Manager at The Marquis at Alkham Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am really disappointed to read your review .We cannot make any excuses, as I can see we did not live up to our usual standards on the evening you visited, and for that I can only apologise.

I do hope if you are ever in the area again, you will think to revisit us. We do set ourselves high standards and I hope that in the huge amount of cases we exceed peoples expectations.

I would very much like to discuss yuour experience with you if you do have a moment. Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Ben

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Ok , now i have watched masterchef i am now able to critique the marquis....went there last Saturday. All very very very good. A few criticisms - sauce with pheasant was too overpowering. It did not bring it all together. This main course was too rich combined with the chicken liver and foil gras pate starter. pre starter of pork with celariac in kilner jar was a great idea - great. wish i had beef as main course. cheese and biscuits not the best I've had. Best I've ever had was in bleeding heart restaurant in London last week. Tip to management: go there and see a real cheese trolley. the manager/front of house could smile a bit more...a sense of humour would help but i concede that you never get the measure of someone until you get to know them but this is a restaurant. Having said this he is efficient and i did catch one smile...and lastly...please get rid of that 10% service charge....i know it's optional so why do it...i ask for it to be taken off and give a tip based on my usual criteria.