“Disappointing”

The Marquis at Alkham Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 170 Restaurants in Dover
Cuisines: European, British, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bus stop situated directly outside the Marquis. Service no. 91. Nearest train station : Temple Ewell ( Dover - London Victoria line) Please call for preferred taxi services.
Description: We hope you're feeling hungry... Look forward to robust, fresh flavors served with imagination and flair in east Kent's newest contemporary restaurant. Our Head Chef presides over heavenly menus that change regularly and use locally caught fish and locally sourced produce. The wine, beer and drinks list is also top notch. Old school... New World... Kent wines from Kent vineyards... Local real ales... Great taste is everything at the Marquis.
Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

Unfriendly and unwelcoming, pretentious menu with very little choice. The pear tart was lovely and so was the fish course (although very small). However the amuse-bouche was extremely unpalatable and so was the butternut squash risotto. I am not a fussy eater and very rarely dislike anything to the extent that I did these two courses. The risotto had a nasty bitterness to it, very unpleasant. The service was very poor, the main waiter had a bad attitude from the beginning. We won't be going back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
folkestone
“disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Unfriendly & unwelcoming, no atmosphere, and one of the older waiters was downright rude. Very long wait inbetween courses. Hardly any choice, a few of the very small courses we had were very nice but would definitely not recommend the butternut squash risotto which two of us had & which was horrible. Would have been happy to pay the higher prices if the food and service had been exceptional which sadly they were not.

• Visited December 2012
Marquis A, General Manager at The Marquis at Alkham Restaurant, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

I am really disappointed to read your review .We cannot make any excuses, as I can see we did not live up to our usual standards on the evening you visited, and for that I can only apologise.

I do hope if you are ever in the area again, you will think to revisit us. We do set ourselves high standards and I hope that in the huge amount of cases we exceed peoples expectations.

I would very much like to discuss yuour experience with you if you do have a moment. Look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards

Ben
Dover, kent
“usually fantastic but....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2012

Ok , now i have watched masterchef i am now able to critique the marquis....went there last Saturday. All very very very good. A few criticisms - sauce with pheasant was too overpowering. It did not bring it all together. This main course was too rich combined with the chicken liver and foil gras pate starter. pre starter of pork with celariac in kilner jar was a great idea - great. wish i had beef as main course. cheese and biscuits not the best I've had. Best I've ever had was in bleeding heart restaurant in London last week. Tip to management: go there and see a real cheese trolley. the manager/front of house could smile a bit more...a sense of humour would help but i concede that you never get the measure of someone until you get to know them but this is a restaurant. Having said this he is efficient and i did catch one smile...and lastly...please get rid of that 10% service charge....i know it's optional so why do it...i ask for it to be taken off and give a tip based on my usual criteria.

Folkestone, United Kingdom
“Excellent food let down a bit by the service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Went for a Saturday evening dinner. The food and presentation were excellent, however, the service let it down a bit. We ordered wine and went to our table a bit later only to be asked by the same waiter if we would like to order some wine. Also, when ordering our meal there was only one dish (fish of the day) that didn't detail what would accompany it, but the waitress had to go and find out and due to all the staff appearing not to have English as their first language, the description of this dish was very hard to understand as was the description of the amuse-bouche.
I would like to stress again, however, that the food was very good and I would certainly go back again.

Faversham, United Kingdom
“the best food I have eaten.... anywhere... ever!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

The Marquis is a fairly unremarkable looking place in a small village very close to Dover.... don't be fooled!! Inside there are several luxurious rooms to stay in.... more reminiscent of a London boutique hotel..... and the most astonishing food.... not only is it sourced from the surrounding valley mostly.... not only is it beautifully prepared and served.... but each plate that comes looks like a piece of modern art.... often decorated with flowers or humble hedgeside plants..... the combinations are imaginative and original and mouthwateringly good.... we stayed recently for 3 nights... look out for the offers.... and had the 4 course taster menu one evening which was priced very reseasonably..... our favourite dessert from this trip..... feather light quince souffle with bay leaf icecream and a glass of hot spiced cider.... heavenly combination..... I have eaten in high class restaurants all over the world and I simply don't think you can beat this restaurant.... gets my top vote

• Visited December 2012
Marquis A, Manager at The Marquis at Alkham Restaurant, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you so much for your coments. I hope to see you soon again.

Best Regards.