“Presentation!”

The Marquis at Alkham Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 175 Restaurants in Dover
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Transit: Bus stop situated directly outside the Marquis. Service no. 91. Nearest train station : Temple Ewell ( Dover - London Victoria line) Please call for preferred taxi services.
Description: We hope you're feeling hungry... Look forward to robust, fresh flavors served with imagination and flair in east Kent's newest contemporary restaurant. Our Head Chef presides over heavenly menus that change regularly and use locally caught fish and locally sourced produce. The wine, beer and drinks list is also top notch. Old school... New World... Kent wines from Kent vineyards... Local real ales... Great taste is everything at the Marquis.
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have lunched here on several occasions, and the experience has never been disappointing.
Though some may quibble with the size of portions (reminiscent of good old 'nouveau cuisine'!), the quality of taste and presentation leaves nothing to be desired.
Ingredients are locally sourced and the chef demonstrates an imaginative ability to make the most of their attributes.
Though the service can on occasion be somewhat slow, I have rarely experienced a more enjoyable meal. We look forward to returning in the near future.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Although we live 5 minutes drive away from the Marquis, we hadn't been back for ages, since the management changed. We have been missing a treat- and will definitely be going back very soon. We spent last Saturday lunchtime there; 4 adults, a good choice of varied and delicious food- I mean really, very, very good. Not huge portions, but you find yourself really savouring every mouthful. You can enjoy a 3 course meal (which we all did) without feeling like a glutton. The wine is well selected to compliment the menu and its high quality food, beautifully cooked and imaginatively presented. the dining area has plenty of brickwork and wooden floors, which is always nice to see in an old building- but with a modern feel and clean styling. The staff were attentive and pleasant too.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Five of us went for lunch, our first time at the restaurant. We felt that although the food was good the choice was rather limited, which made the selection for one of our party difficult - particularly as the vegetarian option was poor. Disappointing too that , with the limited selection, the desert option two of the party would have chosen had sold out.

Overall we enjoyed our lunch and thought it was reasonably good value for money. However I am not sure we would go back: as we are an hour's drive away we didn't feel it was special enough to make us return.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

We have been to the Marquis a handful of time over the last 18 months, I have also written a couple of previous reviews. Last night was different again. I was utterly shocked to see the same things (or at least meat choices) on the menu as there were when we visited last december. We both said straight away that we were really surprised as it felt like there was nothing different to choose from.

We like to turn up early and enjoy a drink in the lounge area there but we were severely rushed and I was asked what I wanted to drink without even being given a drinks menu. There is also a guy there now who I presume is the head waiter that is just laughable, perhaps a language mismatch but his dead pan attempt at humour left us looking at him and even said 'sorry, what?'

We had a lovely table, bread was plentiful but the white was under baked and turned to dough if you touched the bread centre. Food all good, apart from the dessert, the dessert list here is always poor we feel, we opted for the ale cake as other options were not to our liking.

The ale cake was the driest, most horrid thing I have ever eaten, closely followed by the cheese ice cream,served with it, vile. On telling the waiter we didn't like it, he said 'you are entitled to your opinion' and walked off.

Our meal was turned around in 1 hour, very very rushed not the relaxing meal that we had hoped for. We also saw 6 waiters attend to our table during our short 1 hour meal, the place is massively over staffed.

We waited for 10 min for someone to come and process our card, so we took it to the bar where I stood whilst 6 waiters all walked past me and none asked me if I needed anything, really rather poor.

Food is good, massively over priced and staff need some serious training. We can see that you are trying to be michelin star but you are not there yet and until you are, you need to consider the price & quality of the food and invest in some training for your team, they ruined our evening. I suggest that £125 for an evening meal would be better spent (with change) by going to one of the local michelin star restaurant. We have given up on the Marquis now, we have given it enough chances to get itself sorted. We won't be returning.

1  Thank 170,606
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The food is outstanding and the atmosphere understated elegance. We had the six course taster menu; excellent variety of flavours and the imaginative dishes were the just right size to ensure you never felt too full. I could not fault any of it. Will definitively be going back.