“Has been better”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I went to the pub on Friday night with my boyfriend and some friends. My boyfriend had the burger which he really enjoyed, myself and a friend had the homemade chicken curry, and my other friend had the homemade steak and ale pie. The curry was nice until I found a long dark hair in it. I took my meal back up to the bar and they changed it straight away, however I didn't really eat much of it after that as I was a little put off by they point. The homemade steak and ale pie, was clearly not homemade. I looked like a bowl of warmed up meat had been put on plate with a couple of pieces of pasty plonked on top. This is not a pie! anyway we spoke to the bar man and he gave us the money back for the pie and curry which was nice gesture. However I do feel the standards are slipping. We were at the pub the previous weekend when a customer complained about a chicken dish having blood in it and the staff were actually quite rude!! it's a lovely pub in great settings but I feel the food needs to improve quite drastically before I would want to eat their again.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Having eaten at this pub on a number of occasions it saddens me to feel the need to write my first review.
Visited this pub on a Monday afternoon with my wife both had a Caesar salad mine on the recommendation of my wife who has enjoyed many before including the previous Saturday,it was lovely.
Went back on the next Saturday and what a difference!!!! ordered 3 nibble pots which were great then ordered 2 Caesar salads from a young man in glasses who was very polite but instead brought over 2 Caesar wraps,not a problem.A young lady again very polite got our salads which were very different to any we'd previously had apart from being so small you'd have thought you were in mitchelin starred restaurant they also had different ingredients like little chopped pieces of pepper and cucumber very much like you get in a wrap very curious,also completely smothered in dressing.
When I spoke to the waitress and explained the above she said what do you want me to do?i must say not in a stroppy type of way more of a not sure type.(training maybe)it was a genuine and fair query the salad was horrible which i said.An extra bowl of salad leaves was brought over which wasn't really the point but again fine.we started eating then my wife found the first piece of chicken she picked up was bleeding and I mean bloody which wouldn't have been seen by us in a wrap.when my wife asked if we could just have the money back the waitress spoke to I presume the advertised friendly welcoming Emma and was spoken about as if not there and given childish and ridiculous dirty looks all in front other punters,unbelievable.The thing i cant fathom is if this was the boss not even a sorry can i help is there a problem nothing.A nice pub in a nice setting with usually good food but training for all I think certainly land lady.

1  Thank Glyndon73
WaggonatHale, Owner at The Waggon at Hale, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2013

We welcome all reviews from our customers, and this is a particularly disappointing situation. We appreciate comments regarding the manner in which the staff dealt with your issues. As very much a hands on owner - it is not always possible for Emma to deal with front of house issues at all times - which is why we employ a competent Bar Manager.
It is also saddening that you state you have enjoyed eating here on previous occasions, yet this is the time you feel compelled to leave a review. If you feel like you wish to discuss the matter further, please contact Emma at waggonathale2011@hotmail.co.uk.
We thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, and do hope we can welcome you back for a more positive experience in the future.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We visited the wagon today for a late lunch, despite being a group of nearly 20, we were accommodated at short notice in the pubs restaurant. We waited a while for our food, but that's to be expected with so many to cater for and all our meals were bought out together - which is a rarity to be honest! Having lived in the area for several years now, we have never visited, despite driving past it all the time. We found it to be a lovely little family pub, well decorated and with a great outdoor space and animals too. It was smaller than I expected inside but very cosy and warm. I found the staff to be very quiet, but we certainly didn't experience any negativity from them. We all ate from the bar menu, and even with all our drinks I thought the bill was very reasonable. There wasnt much of an atmosphere amongst the rest of the customers, but you cant blame the pub for that! Overall, a great experience and will definetly be visiting again.

1  Thank minniemoo82_11

Many thanks for your review - we would be more than happy to welcome you back to the Waggon - look out for ever changing specials board and our range of varied special events! See you soon :)

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Went here recently for a friends birthday. I have never met such a bunch of rude and ignorant staff.
The main bar man (with glasses) had no idea how to deal with the public and actually pushed me over.
He was vey immature and seemed simple not the impression the pub wanst to give I am sure.
Very poor first impression.
They must have minimal training on the running of a good friendly pub
AVOID AVOID AVOID

WaggonatHale, Owner at The Waggon at Hale, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Thank you for your review - naturally we are extremely disappointed that you felt compelled to leave a negative review regarding our staff. Customer service is of paramount importance to the success of our business, and would have welcomed being able to resolve this issue at the time of your visit. As such, I would like to find out more about this instance and would welcome you to contact me personally by email to discuss further - waggonathale2011@hotmail.co.uk.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Great night put on by emma and all her staff.Great 4 course meal all cooked by there great chief on the premises.
All food was fresh and pipping hot all served by the nice waitress Alison.
After food was served the new year was seen in by a glass of bubbly and we as entertained by a great disco.
The atmosphere was great and everybody was felt welcome,even children were accomindated for.
Well recommended for future new year Eve's.
But get you tickets early as there was a full house.