“Bloody chicken/dirty looks”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of The Waggon at Hale

The Waggon at Hale
Reserve with OpenTable
The Waggon at Hale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #37 of 129 Restaurants in Chatham
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Bloody chicken/dirty looks”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Having eaten at this pub on a number of occasions it saddens me to feel the need to write my first review.
Visited this pub on a Monday afternoon with my wife both had a Caesar salad mine on the recommendation of my wife who has enjoyed many before including the previous Saturday,it was lovely.
Went back on the next Saturday and what a difference!!!! ordered 3 nibble pots which were great then ordered 2 Caesar salads from a young man in glasses who was very polite but instead brought over 2 Caesar wraps,not a problem.A young lady again very polite got our salads which were very different to any we'd previously had apart from being so small you'd have thought you were in mitchelin starred restaurant they also had different ingredients like little chopped pieces of pepper and cucumber very much like you get in a wrap very curious,also completely smothered in dressing.
When I spoke to the waitress and explained the above she said what do you want me to do?i must say not in a stroppy type of way more of a not sure type.(training maybe)it was a genuine and fair query the salad was horrible which i said.An extra bowl of salad leaves was brought over which wasn't really the point but again fine.we started eating then my wife found the first piece of chicken she picked up was bleeding and I mean bloody which wouldn't have been seen by us in a wrap.when my wife asked if we could just have the money back the waitress spoke to I presume the advertised friendly welcoming Emma and was spoken about as if not there and given childish and ridiculous dirty looks all in front other punters,unbelievable.The thing i cant fathom is if this was the boss not even a sorry can i help is there a problem nothing.A nice pub in a nice setting with usually good food but training for all I think certainly land lady.

1 Thank Glyndon73
WaggonatHale, Owner at The Waggon at Hale, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
We welcome all reviews from our customers, and this is a particularly disappointing situation. We appreciate comments regarding the manner in which the staff dealt with your issues. As very much a hands on owner - it is not always possible for Emma to deal with front of house issues at all times - which is why we employ a competent Bar Manager.
It is also saddening that you state you have enjoyed eating here on previous occasions, yet this is the time you feel compelled to leave a review. If you feel like you wish to discuss the matter further, please contact Emma at waggonathale2011@hotmail.co.uk.
We thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, and do hope we can welcome you back for a more positive experience in the future.

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely little pub, good location. Wish we'd tried it before now!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

We visited the wagon today for a late lunch, despite being a group of nearly 20, we were accommodated at short notice in the pubs restaurant. We waited a while for our food, but that's to be expected with so many to cater for and all our meals were bought out together - which is a rarity to be honest! Having lived in the area for several years now, we have never visited, despite driving past it all the time. We found it to be a lovely little family pub, well decorated and with a great outdoor space and animals too. It was smaller than I expected inside but very cosy and warm. I found the staff to be very quiet, but we certainly didn't experience any negativity from them. We all ate from the bar menu, and even with all our drinks I thought the bill was very reasonable. There wasnt much of an atmosphere amongst the rest of the customers, but you cant blame the pub for that! Overall, a great experience and will definetly be visiting again.

1 Thank minniemoo82_11
Many thanks for your review - we would be more than happy to welcome you back to the Waggon - look out for ever changing specials board and our range of varied special events! See you soon :)
London, United Kingdom
“AVOID”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Went here recently for a friends birthday. I have never met such a bunch of rude and ignorant staff.
The main bar man (with glasses) had no idea how to deal with the public and actually pushed me over.
He was vey immature and seemed simple not the impression the pub wanst to give I am sure.
Very poor first impression.
They must have minimal training on the running of a good friendly pub
AVOID AVOID AVOID

• Visited January 2013
WaggonatHale, Owner at The Waggon at Hale, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for your review - naturally we are extremely disappointed that you felt compelled to leave a negative review regarding our staff. Customer service is of paramount importance to the success of our business, and would have welcomed being able to resolve this issue at the time of your visit. As such, I would like to find out more about this instance and would welcome you to contact me personally by email to discuss further - waggonathale2011@hotmail.co.uk.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Chatham, United Kingdom
“New Year's Eve party”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Great night put on by emma and all her staff.Great 4 course meal all cooked by there great chief on the premises.
All food was fresh and pipping hot all served by the nice waitress Alison.
After food was served the new year was seen in by a glass of bubbly and we as entertained by a great disco.
The atmosphere was great and everybody was felt welcome,even children were accomindated for.
Well recommended for future new year Eve's.
But get you tickets early as there was a full house.

Chatham, England, United Kingdom
“Good Evening Out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

After living in the area for many years, and avoiding this place as i remember it being full of fruit machines and TV screens, i decided to pop in one Sunday afternoon for a quick pint. I was very surprised to find a very nice cosy warm and friendly pub waiting for me. Friendly staff, clean and well decorated interior. To sit by the real log fire on a cold day IS A MUST ! A quick Sunday drink turned into a very relaxing Sunday afternoon.
We decided to try the bar food, and the HOMEMADE Burgers are to DIE for. A MUST.
None of this pre-made rubbish that certain pubs do, when they say Home made, they mean home made.

After such a nice Sunday, We decided to return the following Friday night, to see if the place had the same feel for an evening out.
Happily the place is just as good in an evening as the afternoon.
This time we booked into the Restaurant.
Excellent.
Food was well cooked, well presented, and service was very good too. A good choice, so something for everyone.

I have read on here that some people are saying that the Beer is expensive, so here is my take on these comments:-

Breweries set the prices on Beer and what Beers a pub must sell.
Secondly this place is not a Witherspoons with its out of date beer, its Microwave food, over crowded bars, and sticky carpets ( sorry Witherspoons - but you know its true )
While Witherspoons have there place in the pub market, if you are looking for £1.99 a pint, and Microwave Burgers then the Waggon is not for you, if however you are looking for a Clean friendly, well presented pub that its warm, cosy, does very good food, both Bar and Restaurant. then this place is well worth you taking the time to visit.

In the Summer the Gardens are to be updated ( so i am told ) so yet another plus if you have a family, and want the Kids to run around while you enjoy a well deserved pint, or Vino.

if you are lucky you may even get to pet the Resident Pig ( So Cute )

Waggon - You have changed over the last year or so, and you moving in the right direction, i WILL be returning again and again.

• Visited November 2012