“Good rooms but poor organisation”

Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Farnham
“Good rooms but poor organisation”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We stayed in a 'family room' for 1 night - actually a double with a sofa bed. The room was clean and well equipped and the leisure facilities were good too.
However, their organisation was very poor. My mother stayed for 2 nights. She asked for a wake up call on the first morning. It didn't happen, but instead, she was woken up the following morning when she had wanted a lie-in! I ordered a morning newspaper - it didn't arrive. The buffet breakfast was pretty standard , really not great compared to some of the other Holiday Inns such as Warwick. There was just one stale croissant left so I asked for some fresh ones and then had to wait 30 minutes for them to heat some more up in the oven. It seems a shame that there is a good hotel infrastructure but such poor service.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Paul E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to note your feedback with regards to your recent stay with us. I am sorry to learn that you encountered a few issues during your stay, thank you for bringing them to my attention I will follow these up with my Team Members internally. I do apologise that your mother did not get the lie in she was looking forward to. I do hope that this has not deterred you from staying with us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

I stayed just one night on business. £145 got me dinner bed and breakfast in a small - well equipped and very clean room.

Should I stay there again I would request a room that was not overlooking the very busy main road as it proved to be noisy until late evening and started again at 6am.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Chestertripper
Paul E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for taking you time to kindly review your stay with us, I am pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We would be more than happy to try and accommodate you in the future in a quieter part of the hotel, we look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future
Carluke, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Spent three nights at the hotel
Very good service
Restaurant food very nice my issue with a damaged bowl was dealt with efficiently
We used the pool and it was clean and a nice relaxing atmosphere at the times we used it
Would recommend this hotel without hesitation

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank joeyfied
Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. I am pleased that overall you had a good stay and that you had an opportunity to enjoy the facilities we have to offer. I am aware of your feedback with regards to your dining experience and please be assured this is being managed internally. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

We came here to use the facilities and have some dinner after doing the muddy run....we arrived...muddy!!!(obviously had changed our clothes as not that cruel!) and were met by some really pleasant staff! We used the shower facilities in the health area after being met by friendly staff with clean towels ready! The changing rooms were clean and well maintained. The pool area was also clean and well maintained, the jacuzzi....perfect temperature (like a very warm bath) could have honestly stayed in there forever!! And the sauna was a nice temperature! Then onto the food!! We had burnt 2000 cals so went for it! I had the Aberdeen Angus burger with cheese and bacon and I can honestly say it's actually topped my longstanding favourite...was delicious!!! My husband had the same and my children (who ate free from their special offer) had pizza and wedges and cheesy pasta and garlic bread...perfect size portions and both of them ate the lot!!! We saw the manager who had seen the state of us on arrival and came over to say well done ...what a truely lovely man!! Anyway, this was a brilliant end to a fun day and we would definitely come here again!!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Beckyjc1980
Congratulations on completing your muddy run, hope you have recovered well from it. Thank you for taking your time to review your visit to the hotel, I am very pleased to hear that you were able to relax and have a well-deserved treat in the restaurant. I will ensure your feedback is passed on to all concerned. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again on your next challenge.
Northampton. UK
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Stayed for just one night in order to attend Armed Forces Day at nearby Chatham.
It was a bit busier than my previous stay. A wedding meaning that staff were plentiful and helpful. Especially the female receptionist who took notes of any comments we cared to make as we checked out. Perhaps this is a result of caring about issues and asking about them. Instead of getting guests say nothing whilst there, and then slagging them off later on Tripadvisor.
My comment to her was that a fair amount of the wallpaper in our room was in need of some care and attention.
The swimming pool is nice, and available to guests, although it is part of a leisure facility tied on to the side of the hotel.
Breakfast was tasty and exceedingly plentiful. A very good spread indeed.
The whole place is very clean and tidy. Plus if booked far enough in advance is available at a price identical to a number of lesser hotels in the area.
Can't see any reason why we will not be back next time we visit our son.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank SteveNorthampton.UK
Paul E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay with us, I am very pleased to hear that you feel that we have made some positive steps forward since your last stay with us. Thank you for your feedback with regards to the guest bedroom, we have taken on board your comments and will take further action to improve the points you have raised. I am pleased to hear that you had the opportunity to use the leisure facilities and enjoy the breakfast. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to the area.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed for 1 night. Room airconditioned, comfortable, well-insulated but small. Staff friendly enough but seemed unable to cope adequately with problems; electricity for the beer-pumps kept breaking down, staff unable to take cash for bar drinks after midnight but no explanation, overcharged for breakfast voucher, no explanation. Food ok but not spectacular and not cheap. Fruit juice at breakfast watered down (why do they do this?). Small indoor pool looked pleasant enough but I didn't try it out. Car parking adequate. Only amenities within walking distance are a large hypermarket and a pub (opposite directions). Wouldn't go out of my way to stay here, but there's not a lot of local competition.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Humblestrummer
Thank you for taking your time to post your comments with regards to your recent stay with us. I do apologise that we an issue with the bar pumps during your stay and that this caused, we have now fixed the issue, I do apologise for the inconvenience caused. Our policy within the hotel is to not accept cash payments after 11pm in the hotel, as service is only restricted to Hotel Guests after this time. Thank you for your feedback with regards to the Fruit Juice, I have fed this back to the Food & Beverage Manager to review your comments with our suppliers. I do hope that if you were visiting the area again you would consider using the hotel again
Manchester
Reviewed June 11, 2014

I have been staying at this hotel on a regular basis for years on business. It hasn't changed much over the years but the bathrooms are starting to look a little worn (room 219 crack in the sink). The bedrooms are small but very comfortable. Tea and coffee making facilities are in the rooms but no biscuits (standard room). I tend to eat in the bar area rather than the restaurant and you can also order food from the restaurant menu to eat in the bar (food quality has improved over the last 2 years in my opinion). It does sometimes get very busy though. I have met some really friendly staff over the years I have stayed here which makes for a pleasant stay. There seems to be lots of new faces this year and all seem very helpful and friendly. The facilities are good with the gym, pool sauna etc. on site. There is plenty of car parking available.
Breakfast is really good with a great selection for a light continental style or a fully blown gut busting English.
Overall I always have a good stay here and book it as a first choice rather then another in close proximity (even more so in summer as the rooms have air con).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank LuciferManchester
Paul E, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you for your review of your stays with us over the years. I am pleased to hear that you have an enjoyable stay with us and choose to return on a regular basis. Thank you for the feedback with regards to the bathroom we will look into that further. I am pleased to hear that the staff make you feel welcome during your stays and we look forward to your continued stays.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
#5 of 6 in Chatham
Village Hotel Maidstone
Village Hotel Maidstone
#4 of 15 in Maidstone

Been to Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham? Share your experiences!