“Great Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Yeovil, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed x2 nights, great food, bar and facilities. Staff very helpful & friendly. Had a view of Rochester Airport from the room so watching the small planes take-off and land was interesting and a little different, not at all noisy though.

The corridors and restaurant were very cold though on Saturday evening, hence ate and back to the warmth of our room. Staff advised that the heating had frozen - it was cold outside during our stay... portable heaters were on around the restaurant but still very cold.

Room Tip: First stay at this hotel, our room was warm, clean & comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Thank you for reviewing the hotel. I am glad you found it warm, clean and comfortable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Chatham
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Everything was lovely including the breakfast. Staff were all very friendly and hotel clean and comfortable. Easy to find so in great location. will definately stay again when in the area and will try other holiday inns.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments with regards to your recent stay with us. I am really pleased to hear how friendly you found the staff and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife & I stayed here for one night as we were visiting a friend for their large birthday party.
The check in was very efficient & the room was very clean with all the facilities that we wanted.
Breakfast was excellent with a lot of choice ,well cooked & served by very helpful staff.
The only downside was the amount of noise from nearby rooms which interrupted our sleep several times..Have arrived home & had an hours sleep & now feel refreshed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank your for reviewing the hotel, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you enjoyed the birthday party. I am sorry you were interrupted during the night by noisy neighbours, I only wish we had known at the time so we could have done something about it.
Towcester, Northants
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The hotel is close to the M2 on the southern outskirts of Rochester and next to (the small) Rochester Airport, literally - the runway is right behind the chain-link fence at the back of the car park. Luckily only small planes use the airport and, far from being a noisy annoyance, the only take-off we saw provided interest for our 5 year old son. It's not possible to turn right out of the hotel so a trip in that direction involves an extra ½-mile down to the roundabout and back. Likewise, you can't turn into the hotel coming from Rochester, so it's necessary to go past, past the large Asda and round the (confusing!) motorway roundabout to come back and turn in. Plenty of parking once there.

Check in was fast and easy and the staff friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. In fact all the staff we encountered: cleaners, waitresses, reception and health club were all very friendly and helpful. Our son was given "I finished my breakfast" stickers each morning, which he treasured and stuck on his case.

Our family room (double bed + double-pull-out-sofa-bed) was clean and tidy with everything you would expect in a hotel room (apart from a Gideons bible) plus a small fridge. Instead of curtains there are instead sliding screen doors, which make the room very dark at night. There was a little bit of noise from the room above (general walking about), so asking for a top floor room might give you a quieter experience if these things bother you. There was also minimal TV noise from the adjoining room, which could be booked to use with the adjoining door, but this was only noticeable late in the evening, when it was dead quiet in our room. Lower room numbers are nearer the reception (as per the hotel 'standard', first floor rooms are numbered 100 upwards and second floor rooms 200 upwards), with our room 50 being almost as far as you could get from reception. Still, the walk helped build up an appetite for the breakfast in the morning.

As you might expect, food in the restaurant is priced at business rates, although there was a much cheaper (reduced) menu available on Friday and Saturday, which we were not told about but there was a large banner up next to reception on those days, which made eating there much better value. The food was actually very good, just expensive. If you decide to order room service, please be aware of the £3 tray service!

Free (slower) Wi-Fi is free in the lobby/restaurant areas but you have to pay an exhorbitant amount to use fast internet in the rooms (we didn't use it). I assume this is because business travellers won't care about the cost as they'll be claiming it back on expenses.

The pool is defintely a bonus and we used it everyday. You don't need 20p for the locker (as stated in the in-room blurb) and the automatic jacuzzi (10 mins on, 5 mins off) is really warm. There is also a sauna in the pool area and a small gym next to the pool.

By searching on the web, we got a good 3-night deal on a family room including breakfast for about £50/night, otherwise we could have spent a fortune on breakfast. By joining the 'Priority Club' (free!) we also got early check-in/late-checkout/free newspapers.

Room Tip: Ask for a top-floor room with a lower number to be nearer the reception, a higher number to have a l...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel and all your great comments about the staff and service. I'm glad you were able to make good use of the pool and that your son enjoyed watching the planes take off from the nearby airport. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel soon.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2013

The hotel is situated in a good location just off the M2, but far enough away for traffic noise not to be an issue. The room was clean and well maintained. It was rather small however. I have stayed at the hotel before and the rooms in the newer part of the hotel are much bigger than those in the original part. The room I stayed in on this visit had just enough room either side of the bed for a bedside table and had no additional seating in the room other than the desk chair. The decor and fittings were a little tired and could do with updating. The bathroom in particular was showing its age.

The pool is a good size and clean, I did not use the other leisure facilities.

The food in the restaurant is of a good quality. The menu is limited however and overpriced. The staff were very friendly, but the service is on the slow side and on both recent visits I have not been offered any sauces with my main meal.

Overall a solid hotel, but like nearly all Holiday Inn hotels it is expensive for the product delivered and the rooms are a little tired and dated.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel I am glad you found the room clean and well maintained, although I was sorry to see you describe the hotel as tired. We do have a continuous re decoration programme going on throughout the hotel.
It was good to see you were able to make good use of the pool and the restaurant, and found the staff so friendly. Sincere apologies for the slow service you encountered, retraining will be taking place for the catering staff where necessary.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is situated by Rochester Airport, a bit out of town. It was clean and tidy, very similar to most Holiday inns.
The room was spacious and had everything I expected, the bonus being a small fridge. I loved the screen in front of the window to make the room really dark. I can't complain about the room at all.
The pool was larger than I expected and very nice to use. This was by far the best reason to stay here.
It was easy to find and there was lots of parking space.I don't usually eat in hotels, prefering to explore the area. The wifi charge was obscene, so I didn't use it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Thank you for reviewing the hotel and all your kind comments. I'm glad the room met all of your requirements and you were able to make good use of our pool. I am sorry that you found the wifi so expensive, the price is due to the speed and security. I do hope to be able to welcome you back sometime in the near future.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I like staying at Holiday Inns, and this was OK as well. The room was clean, tidy and well equipped. I would advise staying at the back though as my room overlooked a very busy dual carriageway and was noisy most of the time - even at 5am. I found all the staff very helpful and courteous, especially the breakfast staff. What did annoy me somewhat (and it has been commented upon by previous reviewers) is the perception that the hotel is trying to squeeze more from you at every turn. For example, why is it that for the price of a cup of coffee I can pop into many coffee shops and have free WI-FI access, but if I spend possibly hundreds of pounds on a weeks visit to this hotel- they want £5 for an hour just to download emails! ( I went without on principle) Come on H.I isn`t it about time this was free for guests - or at least free wi-fi in the lobby? - many other hotels are doing so. I also don`t like the automatic add on of `discretionary`(mandatory) 10% service to the bar meals - The choice was not great and the cost of a small burger and a few chips plus a pint of bitter was £16. Most people did not realise this 10% was discretionary, although in fairness it was printed in small, light print on the menu - overpriced. I also had to wait one hour for a bar meal to be delivered - yes - one hour! A colleague also waited an hour for room service and was charged an extra £3 for this. The restaurant etc was not busy so I cannot understand the slowness. I am not blaming the end - service staff here as they were very pleasant and somewhat embarassed, but there is clearly a problem somewhere that needs to be addressed (see other reviews - it is not a one off). But I don`t want this to be seen as negative review as the stay was fine, nothing special, but it met its purpose. Sadly I would not return for a leisure stay, but I may on business, but only for a night or two - The pricing and service times need to be sorted but the hotel has very welcoming and pleasant staff, which goes a long way.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am glad you found it so clean and tidy, and the staff so helpful and courteous.
The price of coffee and the food at the hotel is comparable with other hotels in the area, and our internet prices are standard across all Holiday Inn Hotels due the speed and internet security.
I will be investigating further why you had a long wait for your food. An hour is certainly not acceptable. Please accept my sincere apologies.
Once again I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your comments as it is only with positive and negative comments that we can strive to improve our service for our guests. I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel sometime in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
#8 of 15 in Maidstone
Ship & Trades
Ship & Trades
#5 of 6 in Chatham

Been to Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham? Share your experiences!