“Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Turkey
“Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This hotel reminded me once again why I should think twice before I book a Holiday Inn. Whilst it is in a good location with ample parking, it's own leisure centre and conference facilities it still lacks the basic requirements for the business visitor in terms of value for money.

You find most rooms at Holiday Inn's are around the £100 mark. However, you are left feeling as if they want to squeeze every last penny out of you in terms of add on services.

The rooms here are excellent and very clean and tidy. They are spacious and the hotel environment if not a little clinical is well maintained. There are no vending machines and the hotel is a little out of the way in terms of popping over the road for something to eat so you might feel obliged to buy one of their £20 for a two course or £25 for a three course meal inc drinks for fairly average meals.

The beds are comfortable although nothing special. The facilities provided are good. However, if you want to watch a film you will get charged a wacking £8.50 to watch it in your room. If you want an hour on the internet it will cost you a fiver and if you want the full entertainment film packing and internet they will be happy to take £28 off you. This is the reason why I do not really like Holiday Inns. Many charge for parking too although in this case the parking is free.

The breakfast was reasonable albeit a little boring. Staff were helpful and efficient but you got the impression they were tired with the place and uninspired by it. It is not one of the better places I have stayed in and it certainly isn't great value for money.

Better deals are to be had with the Premier Inn who excel with their breakfast provisions or with the Best Western Group which although a bit hit or miss is certainly far better in terms of value. Would I stay again? Probably not.

Room Tip: Get a room on Reception side of the hotel or you will have a long walk.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Thank you for your comments and taking the time to review the hotel. The cost of the pay per view movies and internet are standard across all Holiday Inn Hotels. We will forward your comments to the head office for review. We are revamping our breakfast standard and will be introducing an upgraded choice from February. I do hope you will consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
West Midlands
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here for one night because it was conveniently close to the location of a social event we were attending and I got our room at a very good price (£42, as opposed to the regular rate of £89). It was generally a very clean establishment and the staff were friendly and helpful.

We didn't know the area, so decided to eat in the hotel before going out for the evening. We had to choose from the bar menu because the restaurant wasn't open until later and the choices were very limited. We found the prices quite expensive for what was, in effect, mediocre food. I also did not like the practice of automatically adding 10% service charge to the final bill.

At the end of the night, we returned to have a nightcap in the bar and discovered that the drinks were also very expensive.

On the other hand, the breakfasts were quite good value at £10.50 for an all you can eat buffet style meal.

We would stay there again, provided that we could get the discounted rate again but would definitely not eat or drink there in future, as there are other pubs and restaurants in the area that would probably be far better value.

• Stayed January 2013
I am glad that you were able to stay at the hotel with such a great rate, and you found the staff so friendly and helpful. My sincere apologies that you found the food and drink expensive. It is in fact comparable with other restaurants in the area. The 10 % service charge is discretionary. I was however pleased to see that you enjoyed the good value breakfast. I do hope to see you here again.
Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

The best I can say is its ok. The location is handy being between the motorway and town itself however that's pretty much it's best point.
The room I had was clean but just not that fresh feeling.
My room faced the road which makes it noisy, it's not going to stop you sleeping once you are off but the noise is evident.
As others have said the food is quite odd. I had stuffed mushrooms to start and they were fine. My main was chicken off the grill menu. Grilled would have been good, this was more cremated.

I was there for 2 nights on business and it did the job but I'd be pretty annoyed with this if I was there for pleasure.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations, and I am sincerely sorry for the poor experience that you had in the restaurant . I hope it will not put you off from staying with us again.
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Room was a little small but clean and tidy. Staff where friendly and courteous. The main problem I found was with the food both in the evening and at the breakfast service. I'm still waiting for my cup of tea from the first morning I stayed! Some of thefood trays where empty at 8am and stayed that way for some time The evening service was so poor I stayed with a colleague who ordered lasagne ..... Arrived burnt and 2 hours for one course is not acceptable.....that was after the first night that I received my fish cremated. I just couldn't recommend the food to anyone unfortunately so go to stay the facilities are good but eat elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing the hotel. I am glad you found the staff friendly and courteous. My sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced within the restaurant. I will be looking into these further with my head chef and restaurant manager. It is only with both positive and negative comments that we can strive to improve our service for our guests and I do hope it will not deter you from staying with us again in the future.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Quite easy to locate, friendly receptionist but failed to advise of evening meal choice.
Bought a £20.00 voucher for two courses and two drinks. Discovered that there was also a curry night which I was not told about and was £5.00 cheaper.
Ordered a mixed grill, which was served on a breadboard.
I asked for and got a plate.
Read the menu carefully, it was not a mixed grill as I know it.
No chips, no eggs, no veg, no mushrooms.
It was just Mash, mini steak, mini gammon and sausage.

Upgraded the room to executive, very clean and spacious.

There was external noise comming from a extraction fan motor with a duff bearing, spoke to manager who got engineer out within an hour and problem was fixed.

Bed was comfy and had a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was with a voucher, no complaints, plenty of choice and it was fresh and hot.

Room Tip: Enquire if the evening meal has other options and read the menu carefully so you know exactly what y...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. My sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced within the catering department. My head chef and reception manager will be providing re training to their staff as necessary.
I am glad you liked the upgraded room and enjoyed your breakfast.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Easy enough to find and although there was nothing wrong on a major sense all the little bits just started to niggle. We had booked breakfast as part of the deal but it was an issue when we checked in. thankfully the Lady on reception was very helpful and understanding and sorted it out for us. The bedroom although small was well equipped and tastefully furnished but the bed was like sleeping on a water bed. The room was clean but the bathroom wasn't overly clean. There where hairs on the back of the sink the type you get from an electric razor. There was nothing wrong with the breakfast food but the crockery was dirty, I had to try 3 or 4 times for a clean bowl/plate/glass. I'm guessing they may need to add salt to their dishwasher. It wasn't a bad stay as we were only there for one night but any more and it would have been an issue. I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am extremely sorry for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. I will be looking into these further and retraining will take place where necessary. I am glad you found our receptionist so helpful and am pleased you would stay with us again.
West Sussex
Reviewed January 11, 2013

1 night free stay here with voucher, good location on the edge of a small aerodrome. Room was nice with all the usual bits and bobs. Went into Rochester for the day, had a great visit. We returned to the H/Inn for dinner. Excellent quality food, no complaints, same as breakfast the next day. The staff ever attentive with a great attitude. If i come back to Rochester the H/inn will be my base.

Room Tip: Suggest the back of the hotel with a room overlooking the small airfield
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Myndor
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding the hotel and staff. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
#5 of 6 in Chatham
Village Hotel Maidstone
Village Hotel Maidstone
#4 of 15 in Maidstone

Been to Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham? Share your experiences!