“Good hotel but let down by expensive food and drinks.”

Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed here for one night because it was conveniently close to the location of a social event we were attending and I got our room at a very good price (£42, as opposed to the regular rate of £89). It was generally a very clean establishment and the staff were friendly and helpful.

We didn't know the area, so decided to eat in the hotel before going out for the evening. We had to choose from the bar menu because the restaurant wasn't open until later and the choices were very limited. We found the prices quite expensive for what was, in effect, mediocre food. I also did not like the practice of automatically adding 10% service charge to the final bill.

At the end of the night, we returned to have a nightcap in the bar and discovered that the drinks were also very expensive.

On the other hand, the breakfasts were quite good value at £10.50 for an all you can eat buffet style meal.

We would stay there again, provided that we could get the discounted rate again but would definitely not eat or drink there in future, as there are other pubs and restaurants in the area that would probably be far better value.

• Stayed: January 2013
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

I am glad that you were able to stay at the hotel with such a great rate, and you found the staff so friendly and helpful. My sincere apologies that you found the food and drink expensive. It is in fact comparable with other restaurants in the area. The 10 % service charge is discretionary. I was however pleased to see that you enjoyed the good value breakfast. I do hope to see you here again.

Reviewed January 19, 2013

The best I can say is its ok. The location is handy being between the motorway and town itself however that's pretty much it's best point.
The room I had was clean but just not that fresh feeling.
My room faced the road which makes it noisy, it's not going to stop you sleeping once you are off but the noise is evident.
As others have said the food is quite odd. I had stuffed mushrooms to start and they were fine. My main was chicken off the grill menu. Grilled would have been good, this was more cremated.

I was there for 2 nights on business and it did the job but I'd be pretty annoyed with this if I was there for pleasure.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am sorry we did not live up to your expectations, and I am sincerely sorry for the poor experience that you had in the restaurant . I hope it will not put you off from staying with us again.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Room was a little small but clean and tidy. Staff where friendly and courteous. The main problem I found was with the food both in the evening and at the breakfast service. I'm still waiting for my cup of tea from the first morning I stayed! Some of thefood trays where empty at 8am and stayed that way for some time The evening service was so poor I stayed with a colleague who ordered lasagne ..... Arrived burnt and 2 hours for one course is not acceptable.....that was after the first night that I received my fish cremated. I just couldn't recommend the food to anyone unfortunately so go to stay the facilities are good but eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for reviewing the hotel. I am glad you found the staff friendly and courteous. My sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced within the restaurant. I will be looking into these further with my head chef and restaurant manager. It is only with both positive and negative comments that we can strive to improve our service for our guests and I do hope it will not deter you from staying with us again in the future.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

Quite easy to locate, friendly receptionist but failed to advise of evening meal choice.
Bought a £20.00 voucher for two courses and two drinks. Discovered that there was also a curry night which I was not told about and was £5.00 cheaper.
Ordered a mixed grill, which was served on a breadboard.
I asked for and got a plate.
Read the menu carefully, it was not a mixed grill as I know it.
No chips, no eggs, no veg, no mushrooms.
It was just Mash, mini steak, mini gammon and sausage.

Upgraded the room to executive, very clean and spacious.

There was external noise comming from a extraction fan motor with a duff bearing, spoke to manager who got engineer out within an hour and problem was fixed.

Bed was comfy and had a good nights sleep.

Breakfast was with a voucher, no complaints, plenty of choice and it was fresh and hot.

Room Tip: Enquire if the evening meal has other options and read the menu carefully so you know exactly what y...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. My sincere apologies for the shortcomings you experienced within the catering department. My head chef and reception manager will be providing re training to their staff as necessary.
I am glad you liked the upgraded room and enjoyed your breakfast.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Easy enough to find and although there was nothing wrong on a major sense all the little bits just started to niggle. We had booked breakfast as part of the deal but it was an issue when we checked in. thankfully the Lady on reception was very helpful and understanding and sorted it out for us. The bedroom although small was well equipped and tastefully furnished but the bed was like sleeping on a water bed. The room was clean but the bathroom wasn't overly clean. There where hairs on the back of the sink the type you get from an electric razor. There was nothing wrong with the breakfast food but the crockery was dirty, I had to try 3 or 4 times for a clean bowl/plate/glass. I'm guessing they may need to add salt to their dishwasher. It wasn't a bad stay as we were only there for one night but any more and it would have been an issue. I would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am extremely sorry for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay. I will be looking into these further and retraining will take place where necessary. I am glad you found our receptionist so helpful and am pleased you would stay with us again.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

1 night free stay here with voucher, good location on the edge of a small aerodrome. Room was nice with all the usual bits and bobs. Went into Rochester for the day, had a great visit. We returned to the H/Inn for dinner. Excellent quality food, no complaints, same as breakfast the next day. The staff ever attentive with a great attitude. If i come back to Rochester the H/inn will be my base.

Room Tip: Suggest the back of the hotel with a room overlooking the small airfield
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Myndor

Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding the hotel and staff. I do hope we will be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

the food was very expensive for what it was,i.e i had a pork dish on a bed of mashed potato,the pork was amazing,but i was dismayed to find that powdered mash had been used,the hotel other than that was great,clean rooms,bit noisy during the night but it was to be expected being on a main road,the drinks prices were a bit extreme,i dont mind paying for good wine,but 7.55 for a distinctly average glass of rose? a bit much for me i'm afraid.that said,the breakfast was fantastic,the staff were extremely helpful,id definetley stay there again,but maybe eat out next time,

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for reviewing the hotel regarding your recent stay. I am sorry that you found the dinner so expensive and it did not live up to your expectations. Our prices are in line with other restaurants in the area.
However I am glad to see you enjoyed the breakfast. Our breakfast selection and service is one of the things we pride ourselves on as a hotel chain.
I am glad to see that you would stay with us again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
#5 of 17 in Maidstone
The Inn on the Lake
The Inn on the Lake
#1 of 1 in Shorne

Been to Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham? Share your experiences!