“Comfortable one night stay..”

Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Chatham
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Clean fair sized room. Helpful and polite reception. Fast response to a request for an extra pillow. The one criticism id have is breakfast, although the choice is excellent the hot food was barely warm and the fruit is so cold its inedible. Not as good as I would expect.
Overall a great stay, and a bonus to find a smoking room on such a wet and windy night.
Would stay again but wouldnt pay 10.50 for a slightly substandard breakfast.

• Stayed: November 2012
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your feedback about the breakfast, I am very sorry to learn that the breakfasdt did not meet your expectations. We are currently reviewing our breakfast standards and I do hope you will enjoy the new measures that we have put in place in the future. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the near future

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Stayed here just for 1 night on business
Easily accessible from the M26/M2, and check-in very easy
I was in a newer room in the "extension" part of the hotel (it is a large hotel!) room very clean and well furnished, bed comfotable and the holiday inn pillow selection available!

Only minor complaint, which may have just been luck of the day was it seemed very busy and as a result struggled to get a seat for dinner! Did happen eventually, and food wasn't too bad either

Would certainly stay here again

Room Tip: Purely based on this visit go for the new section, they are nicely furnished
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am pleased to hear that you found our location and facilities convenient to your needs. I am sorry to learn that our dinner service was busy during your stay, however I am pleased to hear that once you were able to be seated the food was enjoyable. I do hope that on your next visit things will be a little quieter for you.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I had booked a standard room for a one night stay and was initially pleased to be upgraded to an executive room presumably because I am a Priority Club member. The free bottled water and chocolate bar were welcome. There was only one robe although the room was booked for two. After an evening out we returned at midnight where there was a very audible humming sound in our room that lasted all night. The noise- almost a vibration- was heard along the corridor in the morning too. These rooms were in an annexe and as soon as we walked into the main building the corridors were peacefully quiet. Don't take an upgrade !!
The breakfast was not piping hot either and we were down early. There was a queue at check out where only one receptionist was on duty and she was busy giving a refund to a customer who was not satisfied with the standard of their evening meal.
I have stayed here before but the overall impression is that they need to review the quality of stay they give their customers.

Room Tip: Beware the executive rooms on the second floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am pleased to learn we were able to upgrade you on this occasion however that the room was too noisy for you to actually enjoy. I have passed your feedback on to our Maintenance Manager to investigate the source of the disturbance. I do apologise that you only received one robe in the room. I appreciate your feedback with regards to the standards or service and our breakfast delivery and assure you we review all feedback to identify ways in which we can improve our service to our guests. I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Fantastic, on check in which was one of the quickest and efficient I've had recently I was offered a smoking room which is a rarity now but much appreciated. Very helpful staff, even carried my luggage to the room which after a long day was wonderful. Room service excellent and the food I ate in the hotel was all nice. Will definitely stay again

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Thank you for taking your time to review your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay and were well looked after by the staff during your stay. I will pass your kind comments back to the team. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had to go to Rochester for a family event and needed an overnight stay. We have been to this hotel before and new it was just what we needed and we were not disappointed. It was ideal, comfortable, warm and a delicious breakfast before starting back home to Somerset.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to kindly review your recent visit with us. I am very pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future when you next visit the area.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Coming in from the M20, the hotel is easy to spot and get in to, although I arriving from the other side might be trickier.

Check-in was fast and friendly, and the room was very clean and functional. It's a typical "off the motorway" hotel with not a great deal of archtectural charm, but for the price it was great value.

In terms of facilites, the swimming pool and jacuzzi look like they are new or have been refurbished recently, with free lockers and good assistance from staff. The gym was well-organised and appointed too. The bar area is bright and welcoming, although the addition of a group of singing Irish families celebrating a chidren's birthday party certainly helped with the atmosphere.

The room had a full window black-out blind which helped towards a restful night, but the hotel was far quieter than I had expected. Breakfast was very good indeed, served in a light and airy room, and including crispy bacon, black pudding and staff cooking food fresh at the buffet counter, which is unusual these days.

Overall, an excellent stay. This hotel is very well situated for pre or post Europe stop-offs, and also commutable to London. I'll certainly use it again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Chris R, General Manager at Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, I am very pleased to hear that your experience with us very positive from the facilities that we have to offer to the breakfast. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again in the near future.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

We spent a lovely afternoon in Rochester before going to the hotel - which was very hard to get into coming from that direction - we could see it but there were no signs as to how to get there across the dual carriageway!!

We checked in, ordered a newspaper for the following morning and booked a table in the restaurant for dinner that evening. Our room was in the new extension and was very nice - we were travelling with our daughter so the sofa bed had been made up for her - she found this a bit small and uncomfortable to sleep on - a z-bed would have been better.

The bathroom was well-equipped (except no shower cap so take your own if you use one) and there was tea and coffee making facilities, but no biscuits much to our daughter's disappointment!!

We went swimming and the pool was a nice size and there was a jacuzzi, steam room and sauna - all in good working order. You don't need any money for the locker - there is a key provided.

When we went to dinner that evening the waitress was very friendly and helpful. We ordered one rare steak, one chicken fajita and one vegetable fajita. The steak came up like leather and the fajitas were so spicy (although not mentioned in the menu) that they weren't edible. She said that she'd had the fajitas and found them spicy too and offered to get all three meals remade - we felt like we were making such a lot of fuss that we just had the steak and chicken fajita remade and my husband battled on with his vegetable fajita! The fresh steak (which came with a very nice salad and fantastic chips) came back in a reasonable amount of time, unfortunately the chicken fajita took ages but it arrived eventually and was fine. We then had a sharing dessert which was quite nice.

The staff at breakfast weren't so helpful or friendly - the empty tables were all dirty (not sure why they hadn't been cleared and cleaned) so one was cleaned for us and we were seated. Nobody asked us if we wanted tea or coffee so we thought it was self-service but couldn't find it - we asked somebody for tea who said they would bring it, which they did, but unfortunately they didn't bring any cups and seemed quite put out that we asked for them!! Everything else is self-service. There was a good choice at breakfast - fried eggs, scrambled eggs, hash browns, mushrooms, bacon, sausages, tomatoes, baked beans. There was a choice of juices - apple, orange, tomato and cranberry and a good choice of cereals with both semi-skimmed and skimmed milk - with a note that there was soya available too. Then there were cold meats, cheeses, fresh fruit, yogurt, toast and pastries.

One annoying thing about our stay - when we checked in we were asked if we wanted a newspaper in the morning and we did. When we woke up on Sunday morning a letter had been put under the door to say that our newspaper was waiting at reception to be collected but when we went to collect it they had given it to somebody else and didn't have one for us??!! Why go to the bother of putting a letter under the door and then give the newspaper to somebody else?? They'd kept it on the bill - obviously we didn't pay for it though.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank asdas1

Thank you for your review of your recent visit with us. Your feedback is very important to us. I am disappointed to learn that there were certain aspects of your stay that did not meet you expectation on this occasion. I have shared your experience with both my Head Chef with regards to the standard of food and my Food & Beverage Manager with regards to your experience in the restaurant at both Dinner and Breakfast to ensure that these issues are addressed in the future.
I am very sorry that you did not receive the newspaper that you ordered on the following morning, unfortunately, due to previous experiences of newspapers going missing at the weekends, it was decided that this was the best way to ensure guests received their papers, however to not receive your paper is clearly unacceptable and I will raise this point with my Reception Manager. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused.
I sincerely hope that these experiences will not deter you from staying with us again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chatham
Bridgewood Manor - QHotels
#5 of 17 in Maidstone
Hilton Maidstone
Hilton Maidstone
#9 of 17 in Maidstone

Been to Holiday Inn Rochester-Chatham? Share your experiences!