“Third time lucky! ”

The Old Coach & Horses
Ranked #36 of 404 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: A lovely old English Coach House in the picturesque village of Harbledown. Just 5 minutes drive from Canterbury City Centre, or a leisurely 15 minute walk. A village pub with a friendly, informal atmosphere serving top qualtiy food from local suppliers and seasonal ingredients. Open for Lunch and Dinner every day, serving a wide range of local beers, cask ales and the finest wines. There is also a lighter bites Lunch/Garden every lunchtime excluding Sundays. Our garden is simply breathtaking with stunning views of the surrounding woods. Open for drinks all day. Now open for lunch and dinner Mondays.
Reviewed June 1, 2019 via mobile

After vowing not to go back after my last two less than perfect visits I was persuaded to give this place another go by my parents who have become frequent visitors.

I have to say that I am glad that I went. Stuart (manager - not sure if correct spelling) made sure that nothing went wrong and made a real fuss of me and our table. I ordered a starter that was a slight variation from the menu - prawns and smoked salmon and was served first with a very large portion of salmon and 3 lovely big Mediterranean prawns. My parents had the sharing seafood platter and my husband had the asparagus with egg. Everything was great.

Mains took a little while to arrive but were all nicely presented and exactly as ordered. Three of us had fillet steaks, mine was served with salad as requested, my mum had skinny fries and my dad had normal fries. My husband had a veggie stack. All totally full at the end and all really enjoyed our food.

Stuart and the other staff can’t do enough for you, very attentive, friendly and my mum got the banter she enjoys so much.

This is a great village pub/restaurant with a lovely friendly atmosphere.

Thank you Stuart and next time I will have the eton mess as well!

Date of visit: June 2019
1  Thank 422SueK

Reviewed May 29, 2019 via mobile

Booked to go here in the week, they don’t start serving food until 6 so booked for then. The restaurant is very small with limited seats but its a nice setting. The staff were so friendly and down to earth and couldn’t be more helpful. Unfortunately the burgers we had were a bit dry but everything else was lovely. There was a garden in the pub which looked nice, I think next time I would just have a drink.

Reviewed May 6, 2019 via mobile

The minute we walked in the pub, we were greeted with a friendly smile and accommodating service. My partner and I ordered 2 roast dinners, which were both of good quality, followed by an Eton mess which was simply divine.

We enjoyed our meal and our afternoon so much that we ended up having a couple of drinks with a couple of members of staff. What a lovely place with some truly charismatic characters

Reviewed May 6, 2019 via mobile

Stopped here after walking dogs. Staff were lovely. Welcoming us and our dogs. We were seated and ordered the seafood platter to share. It was lovely. The mains we chose the specials, mussels and the pie (pork and apple). Mussels had a funny smell to them like a farm yard so did not eat them all. Wish I had returne them! The pie was a bowl of gravy with a pastry top (puff it was not!). Didn’t grumble, ate what we could and got the bill! It was £15 for the pie! A bowl of gravy.... absolutely ridiculous that a pie would cost so much! That is NOT a pie of the week surely. I wish I had seen the specials price beforehand and spoken up. The staff are lovely and the starter lead us to believe the mains would have been of the same quality. The mains really let this place down. Real shame as had spoken about how lovely the place was and would be nice to take parents there. Will go back for a sandwich only.

2  Thank Stormboi69
Reviewed April 21, 2019 via mobile

We had a lovely Easter Sunday lunch at the Old Coach and Horses.

We had a bit of an emergency in the morning which pushes our booking back by 3 hours, but they were very accommodating and understanding.

The food was superb, and service was to boot. Lovely food and a lovely location. Will definitely be going back again!

Date of visit: April 2019