“nice meal”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“nice meal”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Lovely little restaurant in the heart of canterbury, great meal, and friemdly and efficient service.reasonable prices,good atmosphere.and in arms reach of the marlowe theatre where we were heading after

1 Thank Kay1966

Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Good, reasonably priced food, and a good atmosphere”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

This restaurant was recommended to us by a member of the family who lives near Canterbury. Whenever we have gone there, we have enjoyed a good lunch, which always seems to consist of tasty, home-cooked food. We were last there on 30 November. The Christmas decorations were up, and have to be seen to be believed. There were eleven of us meeting for a pre-booked Christmas lunch; we all enjoyed ourselves, and were impressed by the attentive service given by the waiter.

Visited November 2013
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“A very poor meal”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Popped in en route to the pantomime, with friends who had visited before. I thought that fish and chips would be a safe bet from a poor selection on the menu. There were 11 of us but the place was otherwise empty. The food did not take long to arrive but the chips were a very small portion and one serving was cold. The fish was small, grey and damp and the mushy peas also a small portion. It took a while for the correct condiments to arrive and these were really needed to add some flavour. The veggie burger looked very boring and lacking any salad and the chilli had a strange taste and left my friend gasping for drink all evening. The cup of tea that I had was the only passable bit. Our party was in a rush to get to the theatre, but when the bill arrived there were 2 extra meals on it which took a while to sort out.

We will not be going there again.

Margate, United Kingdom
“Fitted Our Need”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

I took my boyfriend away for his birthday as a special treat, being so close to new years, it normally gets ignored, and as it was his first together as a couple, i thought i would make it special

We stumbled upon Marlowe's after walking up and down the street a few times, I was really really in the mood for mexican but my boyfriend really really wanted a steak. Marlowe's provided both.

We were seated quickly and given a choice of tables, drinks were ordered in a timely fashion and turned up quickly aswell. We were also given sufficiant time to chose what we wanted.

While looking at the menu i noticed that if you are celebrating a birthday, to let the staff know and there is a special suprise, bent on embarrsing my boyfriend, i prompty told our waitress, who just didnt care.

My boyfriend was very impressed with his Steak, you are given a choice of 3 cuts and then 3 weights and then a choice of 3 sides. So you really can have your steak anyway you choose. He said it was cooked really well and to his liking (i don't eat steak so wouldn't know)

I had chicken fanjita's in the end, and they were really nice. I did want the veg fanjita's but the waitress was unable to tell me what veg was in them :S

I wanted dessert and chose the creme brulee, as i haven't had a proper once since returning from France in 2012. Unfortunatly they sold the last one just before we ordered, and well i couldn't hide my disappointment. Just as i was arranging to pay the bill, the chef offered to make me one "fresh", after about a 15min wait, it appeared, i have to admit it was beautiful, if slightly unset.

Over-all not a bad experience, but it wasn't mind-blowing, it wasn't a very romantic atmosphere. I was more shocked that the bill came back at just shy of £40 for one dessert, a soft-drink, a cider, steak (mid-range cut & smallest weight) and fanjitas

Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“Poor service and unbelievably rude waitress!”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Three friends and I visited Canterbury in order to see some of our friends at University there and stumbled across Marlowe's when looking for a bite to eat. It looked quite full from the outside and we had a ten minute wait for a table, which we initially took for a good sign in that it must have been a good and popular place to eat. How wrong we were!

When waiting for a table to become available, we saw a frankly knackered looking young waiter rushing between tables and the tiny area where the meals were paid for. His hair was soaked in sweat and he looked ready to drop. He wasn't the problem - the head waitress or manager was! The way she spoke to the Waiter was truly appalling; she often barked/shouted orders at him without a please or thank you in sight, and her tone was clipped and rude to the point that my friends and I felt offended just by listening to it!

We WERE served drinks rather quickly, however we did have the table nearest to the bar so I would have been truly shocked if they had of missed us! Unfortunately this was also where the quick service ended. We all had relatively quick and easy dishes to prepare/cook: I had tuna on ciabatta with salad, two had chicken and chips, and the other had a spaghetti dish (please see attached photo of both my lunch and my friends). We waited nearly an hour and a half after being seated for these meals to arrive! Granted they were relatively busy, however what angered us about this is that we were clearly forgotten about as two other tables that arrived much later than we did had their meals before us, and had much 'harder' dishes to cook with one table also having more people! No apology was offered for the lateness of our meal and whilst the food itself was decent enough, it was not so decent as to excuse the wait or warrant the price if I am honest.

I am only abstaining from giving a 'terrible' as the food was not atrocious and for the poor waiter who was treated like utter dirt by the manager/head waitress, after he so clearly was working his socks off - more so than her who often stopped for a chat at the bar!

Perhaps this would be a better experience on a less busy weekday, however the rudeness of the waitress and the extremely long wait for our food with no apology means that I would not particularly recommend visiting this restaurant; Canterbury has so many restaurants and cafes that are so much better and I would instead recommend visiting one of these!

• Visited November 2013