“Friday night curry”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Jalsha Restaurant - CLOSED

Jalsha Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
York, United Kingdom
“Friday night curry”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

Excellent food and service, we arrived at about 9.30pm on the Friday night and taken to our table by a pleasant male member of staff. We were not rushed and the food arrived in good time and was perfect. We were looked after by a most pleasant and charming waitress from Moldova, she spoke good English and took time to chat with us. Most recommended place.

Visited September 2013

“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

I just read the last review and I don't know what went wrong but I went there with some friends last week and we got the 50% off on main dishes, with our student ids. And they even gave us a 50% off card to use next time we go in, within a month, a pretty good deal.! The food was really good and well presented, I had a chicken Shashlik which was amazing!! I'll go Jalsha again! Cheers guys!

• Visited August 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Try the other Indian restaurants in Canterbury instead! Jalsha just isn't worth it.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Was planning on going to Kashmir when I heard about Jalsha and their '50% off on main dishes' offer on their website - checked out all the tiny prints on the menu - no catches. Called them up to confirm the offer was still on - they said yes. We finish dinner, and are told we wudn't be getting the discount as apparently, it's for students only - a clause they conveniently forgot to put on their menu cards. Anyways, we were students at Kent - but guess what? The guy at the paying desk cudn't read the date on our student IDs - so no discount. And right in front of us, his customers, he gets pissed at the waiter for not checking our student ID cards.

I'm Indian and I know Indian food - the food was pretty bad compared to the other restaurants in Canterbury too. And it's way over-priced too. Not worth it at all. Try Kashmir or Ancient Raj instead.

• Visited September 2013
5 Thank Arjun P
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“A bit over priced but still very good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2013

Yes they could do with reviewing their charges and it would be nice if the owner didnt write his own (very transparent) Tripadvisor reviews - take note Tripadvisor this sort of thing happens too often. Still the chicken phal hit the spot very nicely, the saag king prawn was excellent and the beer was very cold. Works for me oh yes and the staff are super friendly and handled the awkward customer who was kicking off about not very much, with more courtesy than I would have given. Better than most Indians in Canterbury so give it a try.

• Visited August 2013
Canterbury, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Food was good, service was good, atmosphere was good, in fact it was all good - but nothing special, just a normal Indian restaurant. Which is why I feel it's expensive for what they offer - a meal for 2 cost us £70 plus tip (we had popadoms with dips to share, 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 ice cream desserts, 2 beers and 2 soft drinks). Knowing we can get better meals out for less elsewhere in Canterbury, we will not be going back.

• Visited May 2013