“Great place for lunch tapas”
Review of Cafe Mauresque

Cafe Mauresque
Ranked #12 of 382 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Moroccan, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Cafe Mauresque is an atmospheric Andalucian/North African Oasis located in the heart of the historic City of Canterbury. A restaurant for food lovers!
Reviewed May 4, 2014

Great food in a lovely setting. Good quality and excellent service. Tapas dish recommended for lunchtime.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,430)

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Just fantastic, the food is all so tasty and wonderful, big portions and packed with flavour, loads of options and always a decent price. they have student and resident nights with discounts so it really feels like a local place where they appreciate their customers. Cannot recommend Cafe Mauresque highly enough!

Reviewed May 3, 2014

My daughter recommended this restaurant and it didn't disappoint. It has a lovely atmosphere - we went down in the basement for the full experience. The food was great- with loads of choice even though we are all vegetarian. Between four of us we ordered 2 starters for two to share and two tapas dishes. There was plenty of food. I loved the fact that we were given free water and a jug to top up if we needed.
The service was excellent, very attentive without being overbearing- and everyone seemed very relaxed- families with young children and couples out for a romantic meal. The layout means that you don't feel overlooked or crowded. Overall a great meal, great service and great atmosphere.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was my first trip to Canterbury. I'd come across Cafe Mauresque online when looking for places with vegan options. The service was a little slow with drinks taking a long time to come, and there had been a miscommunication as the sparkling water I ordered actually turned out to be a sparkling mojito when it finally arrived. I decided to have it anyway and it was a very good mojito indeed. There was an ingredients list available so it was easy to identify dairy free options. The food was very good, with decent portions and reasonably priced. I would definitely come here again and would recommend to others, but allow plenty of time as it may be slow when busy.

1  Thank Mitten82
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Authentically decorated with sloping floors and a really quirky feel to the place. It was a saturday lunchtime and clearly very popular as it was packed, so booking is recommended. There was a great atmosphere downstairs with real ambiance. We went for lunch and had 5 tapas type dishes which was more than enough for two people. The food was beautifully presented and really tasty. The staff were lovely, and it was good value for money. I don't visit Canterbury much but will definitely return on my next visit, as I'd love to try out the dinner menu.