“3 years of dining in Canterbury...”
Review of Cafe Mauresque

Cafe Mauresque
Ranked #13 of 381 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Moroccan, Spanish
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Cafe Mauresque is an atmospheric Andalucian/North African Oasis located in the heart of the historic City of Canterbury. A restaurant for food lovers!
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I was a student in Canterbury for three years and my girlfriend and I ate in virtually every single restaurant there. We avoided chains early on when we realised how good the independent places were, and I can honestly say this is one of the very best restaurants I have ever visited!

The place specialises in Moorish (Spanish-Moroccan) food. I cannot recommend the duck tagine or belly of pork enough! Ask the waiting staff for a recommendation and they will tell you the same! The staff were incredibly friendly and the underground seating area gives a brilliant moorish vibe.

1  Thank Tom W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,422)

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Great place with real atmosphere. Genuine Moroccan food all freshly prepared. Not cheap, but really very good value for money.
One word of caution - if you sit in the basement, it's two stories up to the toilets!

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my other half went here last night. I had never been before and from the outside I thought it looked tiny. However inside is another story. We were seated in the basement which is really beautifully decorated and the seating was great. We had the moorish starter which was amazing, a small selection of moorish tastes. Then I had the chicken tagine and my other half had the royale couscous. Again bother were absolutely delicious. The place was packed when we got there and I can see why. I will definitely be visiting again!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

Went here for a party and we were given a room on the first floor. We started outside in the street so we could all meet up, or there are two pubs very close by if you like this idea. Butchery Lane is very narrow and short, with a view straight to the cathedral so it's a really good spot. The restaurant is small and cosy but nobody seemed to feel as if they had been crammed in. The service was attentive and quick, carried out with good humor.
The food I had was really good: mixed mezze (all of them, twice, shared amongst us) and I had the pork belly as a main. I really don't care what anyone else had and neither should you. Just eat the pork. It was sublime.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

I choose this restaurant for a special birthday with my family. We all enjoyed the food and experience very much. We sat downstairs which is romantic and has a great ambience. The menu is varied and different the flavours are fabulous. You get large portions, mixed mezze for starters, duck tagine and many others. We were a mixture of ages and it was good for everyone. Great to try different flavours. The waitress couldn't of been more helpful and the manager was very welcoming. Can't wait to return.