“As good as it always has been.”
Review of Cafe des Amis

Cafe des Amis
Ranked #9 of 380 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Since my previous trip advisor Account being disabled due to security breaches I feel I should update my thoughts on my local establishment. I visited here over the weekend and again was amazed with the food and service received. Well done. Will return again shortly

Write a ReviewReviews (1,250)

Reviewed June 10, 2014

Best Mexican I have ever been to and definitely the best place in Canterbury! Highly recommend duck fajitas they are beautiful! Great atmosphere and real quality food for a reasonable price

Reviewed June 5, 2014

Firstly I should apologise for not writing glowing reviews of this place since we moved to Canterbury in 1996. We've been regulars ever since and (although never cheap) it has always been remarkably good... until now! :-/
This year we have visited four times (last visit in April), and been saddened upon every visit, to the point that we will not be returning :-( What's happened??? Well Greed I guess?
Portion sizes (but not prices!) have shrunk to the point of being laughable! My 4 kids always started with a Large plate of Nachos, which kept them amused until the mains arrived, but not any more! The 'Large' Nachos (£8.95) is now just a handful of Tortilla Chips (11!!! on our last visit) spaced out on the original Large plate (which used to be piled high)... just ridiculous!
On to what used to be a signature dish 'Mojo a la Jojo' which was a fantastic large metal skillet/bowl full of NZ Green Lip Mussels, Crevettes, & Squid, all cooked in a lovely spicy sauce/soup, At £14.95 for two (but we used to buy one each!) it was marvellous, then suddenly 'overnight' it became much less of everything, served in a standard skool type white soup bowl! :-/
We actually visited four times over four months as we were convinced that this was just a glitch, or perhaps a mean chef, and that Cafe Dez would soon see the error of it's ways, but no, despite drawing attention to our gripes it appears that the new 'Portion Control gone Mad' is here to stay :-/
I'm sure Cafe Dez will live on it's reputation for a few years yet, but eventually this crazy new regime will put an end to the success of what was a really great place to eat :-(

2  Thank KentCroc
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We found this place on Trip Advisor and decided to try it. The Staff, Food and atmosphere were all out of the Top Draw.

We visited on a Tuesday evening and were happy on arrival to see plenty of tables taken already and a real friendly buzz around the place.

Our starter of Nachos were very tasty and of a good quality and not out of a packet. These were followed by Spicy Pork Enchiladas and Mussels with Choritzo. Everything was seasoned beautifully and very reasonable.

I a world of Chiquitoes and other bad imitations, this is the real deal and highly recommended

1  Thank Stuandfi
Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Just an amazing place with amazing staff and amazing food loved it. i shall be back soon for some great food. everyone its a must to going there.

1  Thank Samuel B