“Interesting and tasty menu...”

The Ambrette Canterbury
Ranked #7 of 382 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Indian, Fusion
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Agree with Nicola W's review... food is good but service was a little lacking in attention.

We booked in for 8pm and decided to go for the tasting menu. The flavours were interesting, the quality high and good that much of the ingredients were/are locally sourced.

Husband opted for the wine paring option and felt that the wines complimented the food well. He had to ask several times for a couple of the wines and the order of service for the tasting menu.

Deserts were lovely... a mix of Indian and English tastes. Dessert wine was a nice finish.

Would definitely return.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,262)

Reviewed August 21, 2014

We enjoyed a 3 course lunch with friends at The Ambrette last week, having earlier received very positive recommendations from several different sources and we were not disappointed. The service was most attentive and the food exceptional ..... beautifully presented portions of exquisite food. The atmosphere was ideal for chatting with friends.....no loud, intrusive, pumping music preventing you from hearing the conversation.
We have recommended it in turn to other friends and can't wait for the opportunity to go again and try a different combination of dishes. Brilliant!

3  Thank LynneP597
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

I would have given this restaurant five stars only the ice cream with the dessert was too perfumey for my taste and we had to ask for water several times before the staff remembered it. Also, I had tried to book a table at seven but was told it was full and had to book at six - we were in the restaurant until around seven thirty and only one other table was taken so I don't know what happened there. Otherwise, the food, other than the ice cream, was very good as was the service. Almost five stars but for the price you expect these minor things to be right too.

1  Thank Nicola W
Reviewed August 20, 2014

Service was friendly and the food was amazing! Will absolutely be going back again and highly recommend a try! Deserts were FANTASTIC - hats off to the chef!!!

2  Thank Georgina E
Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

I wouldn't say that I know much about Indian cooking, but the meal was probably the best Indian I've ever had! Forget, tandoori or balti, this is subtle spices, fine ingredients well presented. The lamb steak was perfectly cooked, pink and melt in the mouth, each bite made me smile - honestly!

2  Thank ridler36man