“Fab location and spotless comfy room”

Sun Hotel and Tea Rooms
Ranked #67 of 74 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is a gorgeous quirky building in the centre of Catnerbury and is full of olde worlde charm and character.

We stayed in the Chaucer room. It was spotless (and believe me I am fussy) the bed was extremely comfortable and the bathroom was beautiful. The lack of big windows (small skylights only) and its location in the attic, meant that none of the streets noises from the noisy Friday/Saturday student party crowd, made it up to us and we had a really quite relaxing stay.
Contrary to KatyCLondon, we had a wonderful stay and no complaints.

We always carry our own toiletries so did not need the radox or washngo provided in the bathroom and we had plenty of fluffy towels. Andrew did leave his phone number in case we had any concerns but we didn't need it.

Breakfast was huge and cooked to perfection, and nothing was too much trouble.

We would definitely stay here again

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I really could not recommend this hotel to anyone. Despite it being a very good location (its only redeeming feature) everything else was poor. The cost for the room was astronomical, we were in the Chaucer room (I think) which was a mish mash of furniture despite being labelled as a suite, there were no towels in our room when we arrived and the only product in the bathroom was a half used bottle of imperial leather. The carpet was stained and the sheets also stained.The water was so hot I burnt my hand and the only windows were tiny sky lights. Breakfast was good, though we had to send the coffee back as it was literally cold. When we complained to management (the manager was supposed to see us the night before but didn't, and was covered in food with unbuttoned shirt) and were basically told we were wrong which was the icing on the cake. It may have just been we had a bad room, but the cost for what we had was completely disproportionate. If you want a romantic break I would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Don't choose Chaucer.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KatyCLondon
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The location is fabulous, almost next to the west Gate of the Cathedral. The owner goes out of his way to be helpful and I enjoyed the best scrambled eggs and toast anywhere on my trip. You truly get a sense of Canterbury life when you stay at the Sun Hotel.

Room Tip: Be prepared for night noise on occasion as foot traffic walks past hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We stayed here for a night in late April. We booked the jacuzzi room which was fantastic. The view from the double aspect windows of the old street was great and gave you an idea of how Canterbury was many years ago. The location of the hotel is perfect, bang in the middle of town near all the main shopping areas, bars and restaurants. The cathedral is also a stones throw away.

The welcome from the receptionist was very nice and polite, and the breakfast was of a high standard. The room itself was great with a big comfortable four poster bed, ipod docking station and freeview tv. The bathroom is very modern. The best part of the room was the enormous jacuzzi which was big enough for two.

The street did get busy of an evening with people going home from the bars and clubs but this wasn't a problem as people were just passing through and not hanging around.

There are some great pubs and places to eat on the doorstep of this hotel. I would highly recommend staying here and it is well worth spending the extra to have the jacuzzi room.

Room Tip: Pay the extra and have the jacuzzi room, it is very romantic.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Perfect location, a stones throw from Canterbury Cathedral. The owner and staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble. The breakfast was very good, particularly the sausages!!. It is very clean and the decor in each of the bedrooms is different and resembles a stately home. its perfect for romantic breaks. The bed was extremely comfy and I slept very well.
The only minor criticism I have is that the wardrobe in my room was only big enough to hang one item of clothing, but I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel before and found the location on of the best in Canterbury!! The place is very clean and confortable. the staff is helpful which recommended the best Greek food I had in Canterbury.

The atmosfere is very friendly and the building dates back to 1503, I understand lots of famous people stay here when they visit Canterbury. There is a ghost tour that concludes at the hotel. I would highly rate this hotel to anybody for their stay !

Room Tip: I definately recoment the Sun room with Jacuzzi and 4 poster bed !
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Stay with my other half as a treat for her Birthday. Let just say she was impressed and very pleased with the surprise. It was pricy but worth every penny. The staff was great the room was great, the breakfast was great

It was a perfect stay.