“Nothing Worthy of Credit”

Sun Hotel and Tea Rooms
Ranked #70 of 78 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Surrey
“Nothing Worthy of Credit”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Rang up just tonight, and apparently spoke to the manager. What an experience. I tried to book a room for me and my son and was told "no". When I asked why I was told "you're a joke". Absolutely abysmal customer service. I was then hung up on. Absolutely disgraceful. I rang back minutes later and was once again subjected to a torrent of rudeness. The man on the other end of the phone who claimed to be the manager also laughed at me several times, and told me to book on the internet before hanging up on me once again. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone based on my experience, and if that was indeed the manager, he shouldn't be running marathon, let alone a hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Leslie D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Very central hotel means you are never far from all the attractions of this amazing city. It also means you are a long way from your car so pack light! We stayed in the Cathedral Room. The walls and windows were paper thin which means you hear EVERYTHING going on below, even with the windows closed you can hear every word of a conversation taking place below. This is a very very old building however so you can excuse it little. The owner was very nice and looked after us well. The room was clean and the beds comfortable, Breakfast was huge but it's a shame the butter was not butter and the jams were quite cheap (think supermarket value range and you'll get the idea!) Pity, as the hot food (sausages and bacon etc) seemed decent quality. All in all very good, would I go back? Yes, I would.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Roseville, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

You can't get much more central to Canterbury city centre than The Sun Hotel. The location is excellent. The furnishings, however, are pretty worn and dated. The water temperature in the shower refused to get hot, and the noises from the street came in loud and clear through the windows. It was also possible to hear the conversation going on in the room next door at 3 in the morning as clear as a bell. Breakfast was standard. If you're looking for a comfortable stay, look elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KeepCalmKeriOn
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

The location of this hotel was perfect, central, close to some excellent restaurants and near to the shops. The pro's of this hotel were the location and the staff were very accommodating, happy to order taxis and provide all that was asked of them. I would however note that the rooms could have been cleaner, by that I mean it was dusty in places and cobwebs on the lampshades. The beds could've been more comfortable and there was no reception on the TV especially as we had 2 TVs, we couldn't watch anything which was a shame and would've been nice while we were getting ready. The breakfast was substantial and enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband went to Kent University so we decided to go for his big 40th birthday there. We have been to Canterbury so many time so we know exactly where it is and how nice it is (from the outside). Everything went well, there was almost empty and not a shadow of a staff apart from the one open the door for us when we just arrived but still nothing to complain. Breakafast was OK and the 2 staffs were trying their best. However 1 hour after we left, I was on the train home and I realised I forgot my phone charger. Called the hotel straight away, noone answered, left a message. Called back the next day, noone answered again, emailed, no reply... Could never get hold of them. I cant believe I paid nearly £200 for a service like that. It is just a small matter of lost and found and just a small matter of pick up the phone and answer that but noone bothers. Will never ever go there again.

Room Tip: I read reviews before booking the trip but because I have passed the hotel so many times so I though...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mods63

Travelers are raving about these Canterbury hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

Great central location, pedestrianised centre makes car parking restrictive so be prepared for a reasonable walk to a car park if you arrive by car, once at the hotel your in a great central location. Cathedral, shops & restaurants in close proximity. Building dates back to 1500's so rooms and corridors are designed to fit in with the character of this old building but it has character. If your looking for a hotel in a great location, then this is for you, if you are looking for a hotel with lots of modern facilities then you will have to compromise and stay out of town. Breakfast choice is full english or continental and is served rather than buffet style but the quality and quantity of the English breakfast was very good.

• Stayed April 2012
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2012

We've just returned from an overnight stay and wanted to share our positive experience of staying at the Sun Hotel.

The hotel is right in the heart of the mediaeval town centre and a stone's throw from the cathedral. The surrounding streets have loads of characterful shops, bars and restaurants. I won't review Canterbury rather than the hotel, but suffice to say that it has avoided the worst of the town planning that has blighted so many other English cities and is really rather charming.

The same is true of the Hotel. The owner told us that the downstairs of the building used to be the coffee shop of the adjacent Debenhams store and upstairs had been derelict for fifty years. It has been very sympathetically restored. Wisely they have avoided repro Dark Ages and instead the look and feel is as it might have been in the Queen Anne/early Georgian period. Our room, at the top of the building, had double aspect leaded windows with lovely views of the surrounding streets and cathedral. Fortunately the historic vibe doesn't extend to emptying bed pans through the windows and instead there is a well-planned and nicely decorated en suite bathroom. Beds were comfy and linen fresh.

The downside of the sympathetic refurb (and probably the Grade II listing) is that with original leaded windows and no secondary glazing the room was rather noisy, particularly at pub kicking out time. After enduring a twenty minute drunken conversation at 2am in the street directly below us, having a full bed pan to hand might not have been such a bad idea. That said, our 7yr old slept soundly all night.

We felt we were the only people staying and as others have commented, staff do not appear to be on site at all times. That wasn't an issue for us and we were able to get all the attention we needed when we needed it. We also had an excellent and plentiful breakfast prepared by the owner.

Parking was a problem and we ended up leaving the car in the Canterbury West station car park, about ten minutes walk away. Of course you cannot have both an unspoilt mediaeval town centre and unlimited off-street parking - a point that seems to have passed a couple of other reviewers by.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family