“5 Star not 4”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I wish I lived closer to Canterbury so that I could visit this restaurant more often. We've been a few times before and have always been very pleased. These people can cook.

I had skate wing with green veg and it was perfectly cooked with a lovely sauce. The other two diners both had pigeon breasts and they liked it/them very much. We all gave our desserts 10 out of 10 and it makes me feel very childish that I am still thinking about it and wishing for more a week later. The fabulous dessert was simply rhubarb and orange mess; so, rhubarb, cream, meringue, orange and tiny, tiny handcut slices of lime zest, It was just delicious and divine. My son had chocolate fondant and orange ice cream which was also fab.

The service is absolutely fine and waiters and waitresses are all very nice.

Whoever said this is pub grub is a very lucky person to have found such pubs. Name them.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

Well, it's not easy to say.
The GS does the important things really well.
95pc of the food in the restaurant comes from the farmers market. So, the offer is local and seasonal. The food is carefully prepared and is presented beautifully.

But, it's not really fine dining as most people think of it.
The shed is an old industrial space, the china is mis-matched and the whole thing is rustic in feel. In the evening, they add candles on each table.

I think the balance between simplicity (decor) and sophistication (food) is bang on. But it could be a bit confusing if you were looking for a certain kind of environment.

And its open all day, serving breakfasts, lunch and dinner. Terrific.

PS They do a very nice kir.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

My family and I came here for my Mums birthday and we were very impressed. The staff were very efficient and polite. I had the scallops for starter and steak for mains, they were very tasty and good size portions and left I left feeling very satisfied.I will be returning to The Good Shed very soon for another fantastic meal.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Had Lunch here on Tuesday, Staff very attentive and pleasant, food lovely, very fresh and beautifully cooked. Very reasonable priced and in interesting surroundings, whats not to love

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I've been to Rafael's (or the "Good Sheds Restaurant" as many reviewers refer to it) several times over the past year since I moved to Canterbury. I have never been disappointed. The food served here is beautiful - thoughtfully prepared using the best local ingredients, with a nice selection of creative and delicious mains. The beet-walnut-blue cheese salad, the rabbit, and the seafood dishes have all been superb. I've recommended this restaurant to friends and visitors, and have taken family here when visiting from out of town. The prices are comparable to a fine meal in other tasty Canterbury restaurants (e.g. Deeson's) and if you enjoy the bustling atmosphere of a farmer's market, with a bird's-eye view of the activity, this is a great place to dine.