“Disappointing”
Review of The Victoria Hotel

The Victoria Hotel
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Having lived in Canterbury for 20+ years I had often walked past the hotel ( 5 mins from my parents house) but had never needed to stay in it. A few weeks ago, I had a few days in Canterbury so decided to try it out.
The plus’s - a great location for anyone visiting Canterbury – it’s a 10-15 minute walk into town and. also near (though maybe not with luggage) Canterbury West Station and a bus ride away from Canterbury East Station. There’s a bus stop nearby which will take you into town (handy if you’re getting a National Express Coach) as well as into Faversham – nice for a half day trip. Further down the road there’s the bus stop to the University and Whitstable. The hotel also has a car park which seems to be a decent size.
The bar area is nice enough and there’s a reasonable selection of bar meals available.

Now onto the areas for improvement. It’s not often I write negative comments but unfortunately here I have to. I will in the hotel’s defence however mention that it is a family run hotel and so at busy times things aren't going to run as smoothly as they would in other places.

Firstly – the room – I know this might just be down to my lack of experience with UK hotels but never before have I stayed in a single room that actually has a single bed. As I said this may be down to my lack of knowledge so if it is the norm then apologies. It was also rather scruffy and out dated and a major refurbishment is needed to bring it more up to date. The bath/overhead shower combination could be a problem for anyone with mobility problems as it is very high-sided – I know my parents would have a problem climbing in / out.

There was nobody to help with luggage either on arrival or departure. As it is an old building there obviously aren't any lifts and this is where a Porter would be very useful. The stairs up are not really suited for dragging up luggage (and I was only on the first floor). I did raise this with management who did tell me that there was always a member of staff available to help. This may be true but surely a guest shouldn’t have to ask and should be an automatic part of the welcome. I wouldn’t recommend it for those with mobility problems.

Breakfast – again it was adequate though it would have been nice to have seen vegetarian choices for the cooked breakfast (and I don’t mean baked beans/tomatoes etc but veggie sausages for example would have been welcome).

Staff – this is where I think the hotel does need to invest some serious money in staff training. It would be useful if staff spoke a language other than English as I did notice some clients having problems understanding the waitress at breakfast they also need to focus more on customer service and less on chatting up the guys at the bar in the evening.
I know this may sound harsh but having travelled extensively I was very disappointed that what could be a fabulous hotel was let down by the points mentioned.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The Victoria Hotel

Reviewed May 29, 2014

For my 19th Birthday back in January my girlfriend had booked a night here, and it was a lovely surprise. on arrival was warm welcoming staff and a lovely looking restaurant. The room was lovely and large a lot, lot better than what i expected, the bathroom was lovely, nice modern looking, we will be visiting again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Have just stayed in Victoria Hotel with a student choir from Aberdeen. All staff were friendly at all times, and always helpful. I liked the way that the managers were present much of the time helping out. The room I had was comfortable. Also, the food was good: I ate in the restaurant several times, and the carvery in particular was excellent value for money. In fact, I thought the hotel as a whole was good value and suited our needs ideally. Strangely, one or two people we met in Canterbury remarked that it was quite a long way out. In fact, it was a ten to fifteen minute walk each way to the city centre, which all of us did at least once a day. The walk is a pleasant one, and it certainly did not feel that far away at all.

We all slept well, and if you go for the cooked breakfast it will set you up for the day.

We all enjoyed our stay, and I would recommend this hotel for any individual or group wanting accommodation in Canterbury. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This is in a great location to explore historic Canterbury; we were allowed to leave our car in the car park for the day after we booked out (avoiding expensive parking charges) and the staff couldn't have been more welcoming. The room was clean, modern and of a good size and the breakfast (£5.95 for a continental) was of a good standard. Canterbury Cathedral is a gem and this hotel, with its location and quality, made the visit all the more enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed here for the weekend with some friends earlier in March 2012. Originally, seven of us were booked in, but, for various reasons, we had to reduce the booking to four. The hotel were very accommodating and allowed to reduce the booking at no charge. We had a very good weekend at the Victoria - the rooms for three of us were small but acceptable. Our fourth member had a rather larger room. We ate in the hotel on both nights, rather than walk into the city centre (which takes about 15 minutes each way). The food was fine and we had no complaints. All in all, the staff made us very welcome, and I would be happy to stay at the Victoria again.

Room Tip: Worth asking for a larger room, if you want one.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in two different rooms. Triple room was decent sized but double was on the small side with small bathroom. glad we had tea and coffee in the room and a TV however for the price I dont think it was worth it, we paid £70-75 per night. day staff were nice but there was a gentleman who was on shift in the evening who was a bit rude. Reluctant to let us wait in reception to get out of the rain for my friends taxi and also unhappy about letting me out to have a cigarette which I thought was weird. Most hotels I have been to you can come and go as you please and either let yourself in with a key card or they have a 24 hr reception. Maybe it's just me? anyway if I were in need of a hotel again in canterbury I would probably look elsewhere, as I just think the price was too much for the basic room provided.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank derrybrooker
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We chose this hotel for a weekend break because of its location. It is very convenient for the city centre - 10 minutes brisk walk or 15 minutes leisurely stroll will take you either to Westgate or the city walls. The hotel was very comfortable and clean. The slight smell of paint suggested that there had been some refurbishment recently. The room we were given was spacious enough and the beds were comfortable. However in our room (227) there appeared to be only single glazing and if we had the heating on overnight to a reasonable level, there would be masses of condensation on the inside of the window next morning. Possibly as a result of this, the cleaning staff turned the heat down while we were out during the day which meant that we came back each evening to a cold room!
That was my only real criticism.
The staff were friendly and the breakfasts were very good with plenty of selection. I can recommend the sausages in particular. The Grill and Carvery was o.k. with a limited range on offer, but perfectly adequate for a short break.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple