“Lovely Place”

Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely Place”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

For my 19th Birthday back in January my girlfriend had booked a night here, and it was a lovely surprise. on arrival was warm welcoming staff and a lovely looking restaurant. The room was lovely and large a lot, lot better than what i expected, the bathroom was lovely, nice modern looking, we will be visiting again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Have just stayed in Victoria Hotel with a student choir from Aberdeen. All staff were friendly at all times, and always helpful. I liked the way that the managers were present much of the time helping out. The room I had was comfortable. Also, the food was good: I ate in the restaurant several times, and the carvery in particular was excellent value for money. In fact, I thought the hotel as a whole was good value and suited our needs ideally. Strangely, one or two people we met in Canterbury remarked that it was quite a long way out. In fact, it was a ten to fifteen minute walk each way to the city centre, which all of us did at least once a day. The walk is a pleasant one, and it certainly did not feel that far away at all.

We all slept well, and if you go for the cooked breakfast it will set you up for the day.

We all enjoyed our stay, and I would recommend this hotel for any individual or group wanting accommodation in Canterbury. Would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Alsager, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2014

This is in a great location to explore historic Canterbury; we were allowed to leave our car in the car park for the day after we booked out (avoiding expensive parking charges) and the staff couldn't have been more welcoming. The room was clean, modern and of a good size and the breakfast (£5.95 for a continental) was of a good standard. Canterbury Cathedral is a gem and this hotel, with its location and quality, made the visit all the more enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I stayed here for the weekend with some friends earlier in March 2012. Originally, seven of us were booked in, but, for various reasons, we had to reduce the booking to four. The hotel were very accommodating and allowed to reduce the booking at no charge. We had a very good weekend at the Victoria - the rooms for three of us were small but acceptable. Our fourth member had a rather larger room. We ate in the hotel on both nights, rather than walk into the city centre (which takes about 15 minutes each way). The food was fine and we had no complaints. All in all, the staff made us very welcome, and I would be happy to stay at the Victoria again.

Room Tip: Worth asking for a larger room, if you want one.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights in two different rooms. Triple room was decent sized but double was on the small side with small bathroom. glad we had tea and coffee in the room and a TV however for the price I dont think it was worth it, we paid £70-75 per night. day staff were nice but there was a gentleman who was on shift in the evening who was a bit rude. Reluctant to let us wait in reception to get out of the rain for my friends taxi and also unhappy about letting me out to have a cigarette which I thought was weird. Most hotels I have been to you can come and go as you please and either let yourself in with a key card or they have a 24 hr reception. Maybe it's just me? anyway if I were in need of a hotel again in canterbury I would probably look elsewhere, as I just think the price was too much for the basic room provided.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank derrybrooker
Flitwick
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We chose this hotel for a weekend break because of its location. It is very convenient for the city centre - 10 minutes brisk walk or 15 minutes leisurely stroll will take you either to Westgate or the city walls. The hotel was very comfortable and clean. The slight smell of paint suggested that there had been some refurbishment recently. The room we were given was spacious enough and the beds were comfortable. However in our room (227) there appeared to be only single glazing and if we had the heating on overnight to a reasonable level, there would be masses of condensation on the inside of the window next morning. Possibly as a result of this, the cleaning staff turned the heat down while we were out during the day which meant that we came back each evening to a cold room!
That was my only real criticism.
The staff were friendly and the breakfasts were very good with plenty of selection. I can recommend the sausages in particular. The Grill and Carvery was o.k. with a limited range on offer, but perfectly adequate for a short break.

Cambridge
Reviewed February 4, 2014

My husband had booked this hotel for a one night stay as a birthday surprise for me. I was very surprised and impressed with his choice! Our room was lovely, I think it may have been recently redecorated as I believe the hotel is in the process of being updated. The bedding and carpet felt new and was spotlessly clean. The bed was a large king size and really comfortable. And I was impressed at the size of the bath towels! Not the usual napkin size that many hotels provide these days!

It was a perfect location with only a short walk into town. We only stayed for one night so did not get a chance to see as much of the town as we would have liked to but would definitely return and would stay at the Victoria again. We did not eat in the hotel except for breakfast and we stopped off at the bar before going up to our room. The breakfast service was perfect. Everything cooked to order and plenty of choice to help yourself to. The staff were all really friendly and helpful. I could not find fault anywhere.