“Beautiful and friendly location!”

Canterbury Cathedral Lodge
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Kent, United Kingdom
“Beautiful and friendly location!”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Despite living in Kent, I had never been to Canterbury until I treated my girlfriend for her birthday as she's aways wanted to go to the Cathedral. Though the price of the rooms may be a little pricey, you certainly get what you paid for!

We got room 214 which looks out to the Cathedral, though I'm not sure if every room or most rooms do the same. The view was amazing and as it's summer, the fact that it stays light for later means you get to enjoy the wonderful view for even longer.

The staff are all very friendly and guests are free to look in the library and take an apple from the front reception. The bedroom was pristine and the beds are so comfy!

Breakfast the following morning was delightful as well. They have cute little jam jars, the butter is made pretty, you get teapots for hot chocolate, fresh apple juice, various selection of cereals and/or cooked breakfasts. Again, all the staff were lovely and friendly.

If I was to find any sort of fault with this place it would be that the shower is a bit small and for some reason the water went cold for a brief second on a few occasions. But that really is very minor as both my girlfriend & I enjoyed our little stay and wouldn't hesitate to go back!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Canterbury Cath... L, Guest Relations Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. What a lovely idea for treating your girlfriend – I am so pleased that the stay was everything you had hoped for and they she enjoyed this gift.

Your comments on our breakfast have been passed on to our chef, and thank you for taking the time to give us this positive feedback.

We will ensure that the water temperature in the shower of 214 is checked, and I hope that this did not detract from your overall experience here.

We look forward to welcoming you back for the next special occasion,

With best wishes,

Catherine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Norfolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Canterbury Cathedral Lodge is located in the grounds of the cathedral which is right in the middle of the city.The hotel is modern, clean and extremely comfortable with large rooms that are well equipped. The breakfast was tasty and the staff, extremely helpful. Because it is set in the grounds it is possible for guests of the hotel to visit the cathedral free of charge and also enjoy the quiet of the cathedral early in the morning and in the evening when it it is lit up and the tourists have gone. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and would very happily stay there again.

2 Thank julc190
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful review! It is always so lovely to read such comments, particularly regarding our staff, so please be assured that this will be passed on to our team. The Cathedral Precincts are indeed a peaceful place to be, and I am pleased that you were able to experience this.

We certainly hope to see you here again on your next visit to Canterbury,

With kind regards,

Catherine
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed July 17, 2014

This week when visiting the Cathedral we stayed at the lodge, the breakfast is excellent, it is situated in the grounds of the Cathedral, what else could you want. it is fairly priced, it does not serve dinner, it is surrounded by wonderful places to eat, if you are in Canterbury, this is the place to stay

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Canterbury Cath... L, Director of Sales at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that breakfast was well received.

We feel it’s imperative that our guests receive the highest standard of food and service during the most important meal of the day, ‘Breakfast’. Our chefs source as much produce as possible locally within Kent to offer a great tasting breakfast.

Thank you again for your review and we hope to welcome you back to the Cathedral Lodge again in the future.

With Kind Regards

Sandra
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We spent four days in Canterbury last week and were delighted by the hospitality we received at the Cathedral Lodge.

Given that the hotel doubles as a conference and study centre for the Cathedral, it has perhaps a slightly more serious air than most hotels -- there are no minibars and one would not dream of running up and down the corridors ;-) -- but you can have a drink in the library if you want one and come in late if you want to.

One of the greatest pleasures is that the hotel is within the Precincts of the Cathedral so you can wander around after the crowds have departed and admire the Cathedral's soaring architecture in peace. We did that each evening and it was magical.

The Gate Passes given to each of us felt rather special too: being able to ring a bell at the Christ Church gate (even late in the evening) and be admitted to the Precincts though a huge and ancient wooden door was awesome.

Breakfast was as lavish as you chose to make it, the beds were comfortable, and the double glazed windows shut out all but a little of the outside noise. Our only criticism of the rooms was that the lighting was rather stark.

When we come to Canterbury again - as we surely will - we'll certainly stay here again.

PS: We simply cannot understand the last (5ft 7in tall) reviewer's complaint about her legs sticking out of the end of her bed. Both of us are nearly six feet tall and we had no such trouble.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Robert Y
Canterbury Cath... L, Guest Relations Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us - your kind comments are greatly appreciated. I will of course be discussing your concerns regarding lighting with the team and am pleased to report that we are currently in the process of replacing all shower lights with brighter LED fixtures.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to the Lodge when you return to Canterbury.

Kind regards

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2014

I booked this hotel thinking it would be a nice quiet stay. Unfortunately, it was anything but!

To start, a prom was going on of high school students with music until 11:00 p.m. On a TUESDAY ! Not to mention hey loitered in the area outside our window until almost 11:30 p.m. I understand the reception area may be rented out, but this party went on too late for a weeknight and the staff did not inform us of this upon arrival. Also, bells went off for about three minutes each morning around 7:45. With the bells, people walking around, and birds cawing each morning, we had a hard time sleeping wi all of the noise.

The room was the nicer room, but very uncomfortable. At 5'7, my feet hung off the bed. My husband is a foot taller and suffered worse. The mattresses were too soft and we sank in them. It was also very hot, even with the windows open. With no privacy, we had to keep the heavy curtains closed and this added to the discomfort. No a.c. Either.

The cleaning service came into our room and did not clean up a small dirt plate on the counter. I brought it to the front and one girl said " maybe they thought you were not through " to which I replied, " it's a banana peel. We are through."

To continue, the BBC came to film the cathedral and it closed early at noon. We did not know it would close early and the front said it should reopen. It did not. Oh well, we have tomorrow right? Wrong. A funeral was held the next morning. Had communication been clear, we would have been able to see the entire cathedral during an open time slot.

Overall, I am very disappointed and would not recommend this hotel. Stay somewhere else in town and pay the 10 pounds to visit the cathedral.

Room Tip: I don't think any room would be good.
Dear Reviewer

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. We welcome all constructive feedback as it is one of the ways in which we monitor and improve the service we provide to our guests. I would like to assure you that I have investigated your concerns thoroughly, and to take this opportunity to respond to the points raised.

We are very fortunate to be located in the private precincts of Canterbury Cathedral and because of our close proximity to it and the peaceful nature of our location, bells will of course be heard when rung, as will the dawn chorus of birds. However I would add that this is very much regarded as a positive for the majority of our guests and one which helps to add to the unique experience of staying here.

Whilst we do hold conferences and events, we are very aware that these should not impact upon the residents and indeed our own guests. With this in mind, the event to which you are referring finished promptly by 10:40pm, no guests were permitted in the courtyard area and departure by all was completed by 11pm.

I am sorry to hear that you did not sleep well but would like to assure you that all beds are of a standard size and that an upgrade was made to new Hypnos mattresses, which were replaced in February 2014. With regards to the plate left in the room, it is policy not to remove guests’ food unless it has been disposed of in the dustbin as we cannot assume that it is not still wanted. As there were other items also remaining on the plate, Housekeeping did not remove it.

It is indeed unfortunate that you were unable to visit the Cathedral and I can certainly understand your disappointment. However as a fully operational place worship, there will of course be services and events taking place throughout the year. Whilst this is unavoidable, disruption is kept to a minimum where ever possible and on both days of your stay, only parts of the Cathedral were not accessible for approximately 2 hours. To communicate this to guests and visitors, there was full signage and guidance provided by the Visits department as to alternative entrances to the Cathedral and the times certain parts were closed.

I do hope that helps to clarify your concerns.

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here to experience something a bit different and i'm glad we did. It costs a bit more than we would normally pay, but obviously the central location and the stunning view go some way towards explaining the cost. The room was very clean and had everything we needed with very comfortable beds. I really enjoyed the breakfast, there was plenty of choice in the buffet area and we were soon asked for our order for cooked breakfast. Portions are rather small, but this is made up for by the amount of cooked food available on the menu. I particularly enjoyed the kipper. There is also a lovely private garden to relax with a coffee afterwards. We paid extra to park on site. Although we were given directions, we still found it very difficult to find the entrance. My only small quibble was the i was quite surprised that upon arrival when we asked at reception about cathedral opening times (as you can enter the cathedral for free if you stay there) the person on reception did not know either when the cathedral closed or when it opened the next day.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Canterbury Cath... L, Guest Relations Manager at Canterbury Cathedral Lodge, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Reviewer

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that breakfast was well received!

Please accept my apologies regarding the confusion of Cathedral opening times. We have recently employed some new members to our Reception team, who are still undergoing training. Access to the Cathedral and Precincts is a highlight for many of our guests, so it is most useful that you have drawn attention to the need to strengthen this knowledge for our new colleagues.

With kind regards

Benfleet, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

As many have previously stated, the views from the room are fantastic and the location (if staying in Canterbury) is simply unbeatable. For these two reasons I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it - however, I honestly feel the hotel was average. It was clean, functional and well presented and the staff were very friendly - the room was one of the smallest rooms I have ever stayed in, and had a standard double bed - I was surprised at how small they were. The ensuite had a shower (no bath). I felt the hotel could have sold itself a bit more - having stayed there the night, I'm still not sure if they serve dinner in the evenings, and I'm unclear about the alcohol situation. There is no bar, and it wasn't until the following morning, I read in the guest info that they serve limited drinks in the library - yet they have a fantastic garden area, but unsure if you could take drinks in there? I think with a few extra touches, this could be a great place to stay- accepting the size of the rooms.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rob K
Dear Reviewer

It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and our location within the Cathedral precincts. I would like to thank you for taking the time to post your review and for forwarding your concerns – feedback is greatly appreciated and is monitored in order for us to continually improve the service and facilities we provide.

All bedrooms in the main Lodge offer en-suite facilities with showers as standard, however if a bath is preferred you may wish to consider a room in our adjacent Burgate annexe (value accommodation) next time, as some of these are equipped with a bath.

Although our restaurant is not open on a daily basis for residents (we cater for pre-booked groups), to compensate for this we have negotiated discounts in several nearby establishments for guests. Our Reception team provide a list of these restaurants & cafes upon check-in and the discount can be obtained upon production of your Cathedral Lodge pass.

You are absolutely right that drinks can be ordered from Reception and served to the communal Library area and when the Campanile Garden is not in use by a private function, guests are most welcome to take refreshments into this space. I do apologise if this was not made clear to you upon arrival, however as you mention this information is contained within the welcome pack in the bedrooms and should you have enquired at Reception, and our team would have been only too pleased to advise you.

I do hope that you are able to return when you next stay in Canterbury.

With kind regards