“Very lovely B&B”

Yorke Lodge Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 74 Canterbury B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 14, 2009

We stayed in the Yorke Lodge for 3 nights and had a wonderful stay there. The room was very nicely decorated and very well cleaned and maintained, lovely breakfast in the morning. We asked for a quiet room at the back of the house, but I think a room in the front of the house would have been just as good. Everything is available for an enjoyable stay. The owner is very kind and helpful. The distance to the city centre is easily walkable, about 10 minutes. I would definately recommend a stay in this B&B. It is a nice and comfortable place to stay and from here you can explore the beautiful city of Canterbury (we loved eating mussels at the nearby Cafe Belge). Also, when you own a car, I recommend a visit to Dover or Whitstable.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LondonTourist09

Reviewed March 29, 2009

With two colleagues, we had to be in Canterbury for business purposes for several days. Previously, one of my friends had recommended this hotel, as he had stayed there a few times before.

I can definitely recommend this hotel ; the rooms are clean and the owner Mrs Vicky was very, very helpful. We had to held some meetings and sometimes customers came in to pick up some papers and to discuss business matters : on every occasion, there was always coffee, tea and biscuits for free, spontaneously offered by Mrs Vicky. That's what I call service.

In a few weeks, we'll have to come back to Canterbury : we will certainly book our rooms at Yorke Lodge !

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2009

We stayed one night at the Yorke Lodge and it was perfect for what we wanted. Our room was beautiful, very big with a four poster double, fireplace, big Flatscreen and good bathroom. It was very quiet as at the back of the house. The owner was very friendly and helpful with information on Canterbury. Breakfast was ok, I don't understand why B&Bs serve canned prunes....someone must eat them! My husband had the cooked and it was good. They could have benefitted from fresh fruit salad and some croissants. The room was deducted a little as we booked last minute so it was £85 and I think expensive but one of the nicest rooms I've stayed in.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 10, 2008

As we needed to take our dog with us we needed a dog friendly B & B.
Felt £90 was at the top end for a B & B in Canterbury, but they allowed dogs.

Booked Yorke Lodge as it was recommended on Tripadvisor and was not disappointed. We were in a large double room at the front and the traffic noise was very bad all night. Asked to change to a back room in morning and it was no trouble at all.

Although we took our dog none of the rooms smelt anything but fresh and all were very clean. Power shower and plenty of towels.
If I have one complaint it is the breakfast time of 8 - 9 am which if you are vacationing is much too early. 8 - 10 am would have been much better.

Walking distance to Canterbury with all its bars and restaurants as well as good shopping. Proprietor was very, very helpful.

So all in all would recommend the place to anyone

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2008

I stayed 3 nights at the Yorke Lodge, by myself. The lodge is only a short walk to town, about 5min.s.
The room was small, single bed.. had a fire place which I didn't use.. t.v. and a wonderful private bathroom & shower. Everything was very clean. They even had tea and biscuits in the room every day. perfect for coming back to, after exploring the town.
The breakfast was pretty darn good as well. They did me a special breakfast on the morning asI had to leave early, no problem arranging it the day before as well as settling up my account. Vicky was friendly, and runs a very comfortable clean home. Full of antiques thruout the breakfast room.. makes for interesting viewing. Also there is a lovely outside garden area, but I didn't use it. Who has time.. my schedule was pretty full.
Dover isn't that far away either.
Higly recommened for woman travelling alone. I felt quite safe there, and exploring Canterbury in the evenings too.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank cariboo.b.c.
Reviewed January 29, 2008

We stayed three nights at Yorke Lodge. From our first enquiry about vacancies the service was professional and friendly. The property was immaculately clean and absolutely beautifully decorated throughout. We were upgraded free-of-charge to a huge room at the back of the property with lovely views. Breakfast was served in a very pleasant room and locally sourced produce was used.
We had come by train and the directions on the website of how to get to Yorke Lodge were excellent. From the Lodge it was a pleasant stroll to the city centre.
Highly recommend the Goods Shed to buy local produce also the pies at Old Weavers Restaurant.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed October 29, 2007

what an wonderful stay!
hotel owner- vicky could not have been more helpful. she was aware that i needed to get to local university early morning, and greeted my arrival with bus timetables and instructions to aid me.
room was comfortable, beautifully fresh and clean, and restocked daily - the beautiful bathroom was always clean, and complimentry toiletries of a high standard. clear instructions for adjusting the heating were given.
also for comfort- there was a hairdryer, electric fan, tv, radio/alarm, as well as a well stocked hospitality tray, and bowl of sweets in the room.
i am suprised at previous reports re breakfast- i had totally the reverse experience of concern re only wanting cereal and fruit for breakfast- with daily requests from vicky to have'just a little toast with it'!
all in all, i had a very comfortable 4 day stay, and would highly recommend this hotel- in fact i am returning later this year!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business