“Beautiful if a bit old”

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Ottawa, Canada
“Beautiful if a bit old”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

The hotel was beautiful and with a very historic sense. It was old, which makes sense given it's a converted part of a castle wall, but very serviceable with a good feel to it. The only thing was some of the limitation from it being so old, such as no elevator, so lugging large suitcases up the stairs was a pain. Also very limited outlets in the room.

Still, a nice area, and only about a 15 minute walk to the Cathedral area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank gideonit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel on a Saturday night in July and were in a room the name of which escapes me but had a four-poster bed and was the best room on offer (booked because no cheaper rooms available rather than choice). We were visiting Canterbury to attend a show at The Marlowe Theatre and had not visited Canterbury of the hotel before.

Our choice of The Castle House Hotel was, I confess, not entirely out of choice. Having left our hotel arrangements until the last minute we found Canterbury pretty much fully booked. The Castle House was quite simply the only place we could find in Canterbury proper.

We paid £160 for our room which was a fair amount more than we'd hoped to pay, but as mentioned, we had little choice. However this was for a very nice looking room with breakfast included.

On arrival the hotel is quite picturesque. It is easily located, just off a main road and whilst close to the entrance to Canterbury, it remains well located for a mere 5 minute stroll into the town centre. We parked in the hotel car park and were met at reception by a pair of polite and helpful members of staff.

Our room was precisely as depicted on the hotel website and was very pleasing. The bed was indeed quite impressive and ideal for anyone looking for a romantic getaway. It was comfortable and very conducive to a good night's sleep. The room was spacious and well appointed. The bathroom was also spacious, nice and bright. A large bath for anyone who likes a soak although the shower, whilst perfectly functional, was somewhat lacking in pressure. This has never been something that bothers me much but I realise some people are quite picky about hotel showers.

Extras in the room included a mini bar (not cheap but what mini-bar is?!), a safe, the usual suspects of complimentary coffee/tea/hot chocolate and biscuits. The toiletries in the bathroom were ample and very nice. The TV offered the standard Freeview channels you come to expect from hotels nowadays.

The only significant 'issue' with the room was the outside noise. I should be clear I had no problem with the following but only flag it up because again, I know some people can be touchy about this. The hotel room we had directly overlooked a very busy traffic island. Our large bay window had secondary double glazing fitted and when closed this was sufficient at sealing out the not insignificant traffic noise. However there was some lingering traffic noise and if it's hot, although the room had a fan, the double glazing when hot did heat up the room. Again, I should stress this didn't bother me in the slightest, but VERY light sleepers or people who are sensitive to temperatures may disagree.

The following morning breakfast was served in a nice breakfast room and included a nice selection of fruit juices, cereals, yoghurt etc. The 'Full-English' option was, it seemed, the only cooked option available, but was worth it as it was well cooked, tasty and nicely filling. Again served by polite and friendly staff.

Overall my wife and I were very happy with our stay at this hotel. I would say that I felt the hotel and room generally justified the £160 cost, although my wife felt that £130-£140 would have been a fairer reflection. I would at least acknowledge that I'd say £160 certainly didn't feel like a bargain. But as I said, it felt fair.

The only reason I don't award 5/5 for this hotel is because of the price, the fact the décor is a little chintzy in parts and although they didn't bother me the things relating to the shower and room noise may bother others.

If 4.5/5 was an option I'd have gone for that. Probably not going to return to Canterbury for a while, but I would recommend this hotel to others and were I to return, I'd probably stay here again.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper, request a room away from the main road.
1 Thank JoeTG
Crowborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Just arrived home from a 2 day stay at the Castle House. Location is ideal to go straight into the city centre. Lots of restaurants / eateries to choose from. Great shopping centre either in White Friars or down the main High Street. Hotel staff very welcoming and willing to assist. Room quality excellent, even though we were on the side by a round about did not hear any noise at all. Will be back for a further stay when next in Canterbury

1 Thank MarkF846
cambridgeshire
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have just got home after a 4 night stay and we were in room 10 which is seperate from the main building. The room was lovely with everything you could need, tea coffee, tv and a very welcome fan which was very handy as it did get a bit warm, the en-suite was really big and the whole room was very clean. Breakfast was lovely and the staff will sort put pretty much whatever you want, big pots of tea and lovely toast, fresh coffee is also there. The location is perfect 10mins to the centre and cathedral. The hotel is positioned on a roundabout but this really isnt a problem its very handy actually as it picks up all of the routes. Consider buses to get around they go everywhere and very cheap no 4 to whitstable bay and the no 6 back, takes 20mins and worth a visit. Special thanks to Sarah who was very helpful and Tom in the bar. Try the Three Tuns pub 5 mins away on route to city centre for good food.

Room Tip: Its an old building with masses of character and a nice garden to sit in when the sun shines
Ipswich
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We are a family of four and had 2 nights in family room 16. When we checked in and were taken back outside to a outbuilding in the car park my heart sank but once in side I was pleasantly surprised! The quality of fittings and spaciousness of the room made up for the unpromising exterior. The kids were very impressed by the tv in the bathroom. The beds were really comfy. it was not noisy in this room as you are not backing on to the main road as you may be in the main hotel.The staff were very friendly and helpful. We were staying for a wedding and they reserved a parking space for us so we could shuttle back and forth from church/reception during the day and let us stay in the room to get ready with out disturbing us to make up the room etc.Breakfast was good too! Very handy for town centre as it is about 10 min walk max.

Room Tip: If you are a family ask for room 16!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Stevenage
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Good : Very good staff. Breakfast very good. Excellent Internet connection.Great location.

Not so Good : Shower pressure quite poor. Very small TV for size of room. We paid £120 per night. I think £80 per night would have been more in keeping with the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ian S
Manzanares el Real, Madrid
Reviewed April 14, 2013

A quiet and friendly hotel for a short visit. I had double room for single occupancy - would have been tight with two of us in that bed - in such a tight space! Room was nicely decorated and despite being on the main street, was quiet. The bathroom was small, but had everything and was very nice and clean. Only two moans - hairdryer was no-where near a mirror, which made things very difficult and the room was directly opposite the breakfast room, and there was a gap in the door - which although no-one could see in (I checked!) when I was in bed, I could see directly into the breakfast room - very disconcerting, and the smell of the coffee was somewhat nauseating. The staff were extremely helpful and accommodating throughout my stay - I couldn't have asked for more - I will definitely consider staying here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo