“reception bit hit and miss”

Premier Inn Canterbury City Centre Hotel
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“reception bit hit and miss”
Reviewed February 14, 2014

recently stayed here for some cultural and retail therapy with my sister . Arrived a bit early so couldn't check into the room but receptionist kindly let us put our cases in the locked store room so we could go for a look around. Was quite hard to explain that we had booked for 1 night then changed our mind and had added an extra night so had 2 separate bookings and we had been told over the phone that we could stay in the same room . Was told that we would have to check out in the morning and then check back in which seemed a bit strange. We did eventually get it sorted out but wasn't easy. Also heard another guest asking where he could locate a doctor as his wife was unwell but receptionist didn't have a clue and said she could get him a taxi , when we went out there was actually a red cross surgery just round the corner. Hotel itself is very well located for visiting Canterburys beautiful Cathedral and other historical buildings .The room was spotlessly clean and the housekeepers were very friendly and helpful. The staff in the restaurant were also brilliant , very friendly and the service was excellent., food was lovely. All in all we had a great visit the only comment I would make is that the reception wasn't open all the time and we found it a bit difficult to explain circumstances to receptionist.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Teresa H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Stayed here recently and we're advised by reception staff that the small car park at rear of building belongs to Tescos and cars have been clamped previously. We checked this with Tescos were we were informed that they have no idea why staff at the Premier Inn keep stating this, the car park does not belong to Tescos, and as the gate is in the Premier Inn colours it is obviously theirs. I can only presume staff want the parking spots for theirselves.

Other than that the hotel was ok, bar staff not the quickest, spent ages organising change whilst I stood waiting to be served, then started chatting with another member of staff, then said sorry to keep you waiting, before wandering off somewhere! Another member of staff came and served me eventually.
Hotel is a good location for getting to City centre and the food looked good, didn't try as many really good restaurants around. I don't like the new automated check in system, especially when there was two receptionists on duty talking us through it, why not just check us in? Would I stay here again? Yes and I would bloody well use the car park as our car was fine left there from Friday night till Monday morning

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CarmelJenkins64
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed February 12, 2014

I enjoyed my stay at Premiere Inn very much. My experience there was much better than I expected for the amount of money I paid. The rooms were quiet, very clean and comfortable. I also enjoyed the complimentary tea and coffee in my room.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Andreeea M
Broadstairs
Reviewed February 11, 2014

The hotel is new to Canterbury. I received a message the day before our booking to say no parking was available at the hotel, so beware Canterbury parking is not cheap. We arrived at 2pm to check in, you have to us the automated system, this referred us to a receptionist as our room was not ready. This seemed to be general for all those checking in, we were told it was because they had been busy the night before. This was fine as we were able to leave our luggage and check in later. We checked in at 4.30 and thought we would use the bar for a drink! no can do the bar doesn't open until 6. Thankfully there is a Tesco under the hotel so we purchased a bottle of wine and took it to the room. The room was fine and the breakfast the following morning OK, the kitchen did not seem to be keeping up. Its all OK but I do think Premier Inn are cutting costs but not room rates, it was £89.00 for the two of us with breakfast, plus £8 to park down the road.

1 Thank PRSbroadstairs
Odiham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Feb 7 - 9th 2014
This recently opened hotel was excellent value for money. Stylish furnishing throughout, with a very comfortable bar and restaurant. The rooms were clean, warm, with stylish decoration and a wonderful king size bed!
I have travelled extensively and stayed in good hotels and can honestly say that the friendliness of all staff was second to none.
Deborah
Odiham

1 Thank Deborah M
bristol
Reviewed February 9, 2014

The hotel is exceptionally clean and smart. We arrived fairly late and did a self checkin process but this was easy to do. There was a tesco below the hotel which was very handy too. The room was definitely above average in size with a HUGE bed and choice of pillows. The whole place was spotless and a real credit to the Premier Inn Brand!! Nice one :) I did not have any food but it did look great and not overpriced.

3 Thank imlivid
Bushey, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Just spent a couple of nights at the Premier Inn in Canterbury, A very new hotel, spotlessly clean. Our room gave us a fantastic view of the cathedral. Lovely room, very well kept. The only downside to the room was that there was no mirror over the dressing table, so I had to actually do my hair and make-up standing up using the mirror by the door to the room. Staff here were very friendly and helpful. My only criticism would be that the hotel bar did not open until 5 pm. Guests were turning up a little bit earlier than 2 o clock (checking in time) and unfortunately couldn't sit and have a drink at the bar. I have stayed at Premier Inn hotels in the past and have always been able to get an alcoholic beverage at any time of the day. This I find is a big downfall to this particular hotel. Unfortunately there is not any parking available either at this hotel. If your looking for a great value hotel within 5 minutes walking distance to the city centre then I can highly recommend this hotel. As I have a daughter at the university in Canterbury I will definitely use this hotel again for my next visit. Please sort out the licensing hours though.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends