“Good but not GREAT!”
Review of Quex Barn Restaurant - CLOSED

Quex Barn Restaurant
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Good but not GREAT!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My partner and I visited the Quex Barn today for the first time since it had opened.
The staff were friendly and accommodating and the restaurant itself has been beautifully finished.
However the meals themselves weren't quite there just yet.
Choosing from the set menu for £10 my partner started off with the mushroom risotto, unfortunately leaving much to be desired. Our Initial thoughts were on the well presented dish however it appeared quite loose/wet for a risotto; nevertheless we both tucked in (sharing is caring right?) The consistency wasn't there to start and the risotto (normally a one pot meal) seemed to be constructed separately, with what appeared to be steamed rice with a creamy sauce containing peas and carrots (why the peas and carrots, who knows? After all this was meant to be a mushroom risotto) and wild mushroom varieties placed on top. In addition we also felt that the parmesan you'd expect to find in a risotto was missing. In all however despite the missing cheese, the flavours were there but not as a risotto. When the waiting staff came to pick up our plate we wasn't asked how the dish was (another downside, as constructive criticism is always good) instead we got a smile before quickly picking up the plate and walking off.
Onto the mains. Myself choosing the pan fried sea bass with pea puree and Brendon having the pork loin. These were good but we felt that a little bit more seasoning and these dishes could have been GREAT! Still the flavours were good and they soon got demolished.
Dessert (where sharing is not caring) I chose the chocolate parfait with coulis. Initially again beautifully presented. Regrettably the parfait itself was still solid/frozen, so after leaving it 5 minutes (extremely difficult leaving a dessert in front of me for that long) the parfait had defrosted enough to break into with a spoon and from that point onwards it was amazing, it was rich chocolate with a light sponge that worked well with the coulis.
All in all a good meal but with room for improvement (to make it GREAT) which is understandable of-course for such a new establishment!
I would definitely recommend going and I will be going back in the near future. Fingers crossed that the minor problems are ironed out and the Quex Barn continues to be a great eatery in Canterbury.
Wishing the owners the best of luck in the future

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Luke1308

Hythe, United Kingdom
“Lovely”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

Went for lunch today the 27th Sept, great service and made us feel welcome with the twins. Supplied drawing books and pencils for the girls. We all enjoyed our food:-)

1 Thank Meatball27
Canterbury
“Wow wow wow”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We came for a evening meal and all I can say is, try it. Just fabulous. Fine dining at incredible prices. Very friendly service. Great wines on offer. Beautiful building, ask for a table with Cathedral views. I've no doubt that this will soon be the number 1 place to dine in Canterbury

2 Thank DonnaChoolhun
St Nicholas-at-Wade, United Kingdom
“Fantastic!!!”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

This restaurant has really lifted Canterbury. Ir is bright and so beautifully fitted out. The staff are lovely and just like the Barn in Birchington, the products are of absolute top quality.
We only had coffee but when we looked in at lunchtime it was absolutely full with a wonderful atmosphere. I feel quite excited at Ian's latest venture and just know it is going to be a fantastic success1

“Truly excellent food”
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

We've been watching the building renovations over some months, so were pleased to find that the restaurant is now open in 'soft launch' mode.

Dinner last night was fantastic. Not only was my ham hock terrine with lentils beautifully presented and very tasty, the accompanying side salad was fresh as a daisy, something often overlooked. I could have done with some nice rustic bread to go with it though - something the Goods Shed and Deesons do well. The confit duck leg main course with cauliflower purée was also amazing and very rich! All in all a memorable meal, thank you and we'll be back.

One final point. I'd really urge the owners to rethink the decor. Gloss paint and untainted pine are indelibly 1970s to my mind, and not in a good way. For me, the food deserves something more contemporary - some nice chalky Farrow and Ball would be just the job.

Visited September 2013