“Hidden delight” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Oscar & Bentleys

Oscar & Bentleys
Reserve with OpenTable
Oscar & Bentleys is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 361 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: British
Good for: Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Oscar & Bentleys is an intimate bistro set in one of Canterbury's beautiful, historic buildings, with a modern art deco interior. We serve classic & inspired seasonal dishes. Quality is at the heart of everything we do - from our carefully selected suppliers to the finishing detail of our dishes. Everything is beautifully presented to give you, the diner, a wonderful experience. We have an interesting selection of vegetarian, gluten & dairy free options available at all times.
Fray Bentos, Rio Negro, Uruguay
“Hidden delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

On a wet lunchtime, my friend and I rushed to get off the rammed high street and stumbled into this lovely pub type posh restaurant. It clearly was a pub but has been excellently refurbished. It's spotless and very pretty. Lots of mirrors, glass decorations and the obligatory word "Artisan" emblazoned outside.
The food was good, fairly priced considering the location and the lady serving was very friendly. I had ham, eggs and chips and my friend had the crispy duck pancakes (although the duck was minced and not crispy). Napkins were luxuriously thick (always an indicator of quality of overall experience) BUT I had no idea this was a gluten free restaurant! Only discovered when I wrote this review, so maybe a bit better promotion outside would be good. This is however a back handed compliment as I might have thought the food would be "weird" if I'd known, so it was an education for me and a gold star for them.

• Visited February 2014

Kent
“Fantastic service, couldn't be more helpful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

We are both dieting and they were so helpful making our meal perfect ( fat free). Great atmosphere and fabulous food. THANKS!!!!

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“A rare find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

Recently diagnosed coeliac. Delighted to find somewhere where I could eat anything from the menu. No compromise on taste - fab flavours. Friendly service and great ambience with decor, music etc. Great place to eat whether you have food allergies or not as high standard of flavours and choice. Food delicious and freshly prepared. In city centre so easy to locate. Would definitely recommend this to friends.

2 Thank Andrea C
UK
“Needs to widen out a bit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

I appreciate that this restaurant caters mostly for coeliacs but since it is in the specialist-dietry trade, I think it should broaden what it offers. I went in actually, having just received my results from my York Labs test, which showed I am intolerant to 19 different foods including gluten, dairy and soya. People with allergies and intolerances are often allergic to more than one food. I asked for tea and cake. The only milk they offered was normal, or soya. So I had soya, knowing it would be doing me no good. I asked for a brownie (knowing it would be gluten free) but when it arrived I was told it had dairy in. The only diary-free cake they did was a scone. So I had the brownie, but felt afterwards that my attempt to be "good" by going to Oscar and Bentley's had failed. That said, the tea and brownie were absolutely lovely and both only cost me £3.50. I would go back for the high standard and nice atmosphere but it would be so much better if they offered perhaps oat or rice milk plus more variety of dairy free snacks.

1 Thank badey
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“VERY YUMMY! Happy Happy customers”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We have been to Oscar & Bentley's twice now & we will be returning soon.
The service is spot on, not over the top & not non attentive.
My husband who can't have wheat or gluten had fish & chips on both visits as this is virtually impossible to find else where (done as well as at O&B's)
My son and I had the burger and it tasted amazing, the food was boiling hot on both occasions & there was plenty on the plate.
The garlic prawns with garlic bread to start was to die for, we could have eaten a massive plate for mains too.
Thank you O&B's for your wonderful food & service - we really appreciate it!
Great prices too - no more cost for central Canterbury "specialist" food