“Gluten free cafe/restaurant”
Review of Oscar & Bentleys

Oscar & Bentleys
Reserve with OpenTable
Oscar & Bentleys is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 369 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: British
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Oscar & Bentleys is an intimate bistro set in one of Canterbury's beautiful, historic buildings, with a modern art deco interior. We serve classic & inspired seasonal dishes. Quality is at the heart of everything we do - from our carefully selected suppliers to the finishing detail of our dishes. Everything is beautifully presented to give you, the diner, a wonderful experience. We have an interesting selection of vegetarian, gluten & dairy free options available at all times.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Gluten free cafe/restaurant”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This was a fantastic find in Canterbury, a place we could all eat without there being any limitations on choice from the menu. I was able to relax and allow my son to choose anything on the menu without worrying about cross contamination or gluten products being added to the plate as has happened previously elsewhere (eg, a wafer stuck into gluten free ice cream!). There are a range of meals on offer and all of ours were really well presented and tasty. My thirteen year old thought he died and gone to heaven being able to indulge in onion rings, a burger and then sticky toffee pudding. We went to this restaurant two days on the trot and will be ensuring we have further stops in Canterbury in the future, just because we know we don't have to worry about eating!

3 Thank LollSol

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Gluten Free Heaven”
Reviewed December 24, 2013

I was diagnosed with Coeliac’s disease in May this year and initially it was difficult to manage as I don’t eat much meat and I have a nut and mushroom allergy. I found eating out to be a bit of a struggle in the early days with restaurants not really understanding and feeling anxious about eating something I shouldn’t…so when a friend told me Oscar and Bentleys had opened I was so relived! It’s such a pleasure to go to a restaurant knowing that you can eat everything on the menu and that everyone working and cooking there understands how important it is for the food to be right.

I have been there for tea and cake around 5 or 6 times now, once with a friend who is dairy free as well as being Coeliac. She had a dairy and wheat free scone and said it was delicious. The cakes and scones are a lovely texture and really tasty, especially like the unusual flavour combinations of some of the cakes such as lemon and lavender and beetroot brownies. I also had a specially organised champagne afternoon tea there in October which was arranged through Sarah who was very patient with my various allergies and intolerances and made sure everything was suitable. We had choux buns filled with smoked salmon and cream cheese mousse, slices of cheese and onion tart, roasted vegetable wraps, beetroot brownies, courgette and lime cake and fruit scones with jam and cream…all of which were lovely and my non-GF friends couldn’t believe that they were all GF. We also visited for lunch with family one Sunday afternoon-there were a few problems in the kitchen that day and the food took a long time to come but was worth the wait and Sarah was very apologetic. A one-off flaw in otherwise fantastic service.

I’m sure Sarah will take some of the less positive comments regarding service on board and this gluten free haven will go from strength to strength.

1 Thank WestgateWonderer
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great for everyone not just Coeliacs!”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Just back from a few days in Canterbury and had dinner and two lunches here. The staff, especially Sarah the owner, are so friendly and the service was great. I went with my wife, who isn't a coeliac, and we both enjoyed the wonderful food. I felt spoilt for choice and especially enjoyed having a nice cold gluten free beer whilst sharing baked Camembert and breads with my wife, something we haven't been able to do for a very long time! We would recommend this place to all but for Coeliacs especially it is superb. Have told both of my brothers who also have Coeliacs that it's well worth a visit. A little gem that we will revisit every time we are in Canterbury. Thank you Sarah for making us feel so welcome.

1 Thank Dan P
Leeds, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A fantastic restaurant for Coeliacs, wheat-eaters and food lovers alike”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I've meant to write Oscar and Bentleys the sterling review it deserves for months now and having seen some of the bad reviews on here now is the time. I'm a regular visitor to this little gem hidden amongst the mass of restaurants lining the streets of Canterbury and I have to say that this place is one of the best - whether you can eat gluten or not.

I have dined in this restaurant on many different occasions and I have to say it's always been fantastic. Whether you're after breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea (the gluten free scones are fantastic and come with plenty of clotted cream, as well as a hot water top up for your tea), dinner or just some cake and coffee O&B will never disappoint. On a warm summer's day the tables outside in the sun are the perfect spot for a gluten free fish and chips and gluten free beer! Or with the winter rolling in pop inside and enjoy a hot bowl of stew with dumplings (gluten free of course) followed by a slice of cake from the always extensive and tempting selection.

From a coeliac point of view this place is a necessity: Canterbury isn't the most gluten free friendly city, unless you want a salad or chili followed by the predictable gf brownie. But the food isn't your average gf fare either - I regularly visit here with my other half who is not gluten free and he agrees that the food is great.

The owner is lovely and always welcomes us (as well as our golden retriever who sometimes comes along for the bowl of water she always receives), and the staff are always friendly and helpful. I've NEVER waited more than 30 minutes for a meal even when I've been in a group, which is saying something considering I've eaten here 10+ times. Quite frankly I'd probably wait longer for the food since it's always cooked fresh and never disappoints.

In short, I love this place. I think it's great value for money (about £10 for a main, £2.50 for a slice of cake); it's always varied; it serves all the gluten free dishes I've been missing without them tasting gluten free, making it perfect for meals out with my gluten eating friends and family; the service is always friendly and all the staff are welcoming.

Plus, the cake is delicious... and who can ever say no to cake?

1 Thank Clarrissa S
Dover, United Kingdom
“first class experience”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

A first class establishment, with tasteful, elegant decor nestled within the heart of Canterbury's historic centre! Fine dining, with a fabulous wine selection. Do not miss out on this family run business! Attention to detail exemplary! And to top it all Gluten free!!!!!

• Visited November 2013