“The best breakfast I've ever had”

The Refectory Kitchen
Ranked #33 of 364 Restaurants in Canterbury
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Market Drayton, United Kingdom
“The best breakfast I've ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

We had breakfast here last weekend. It was a chilly Sunday but in the Refectory Kitchen was a burning fire and the best breakfast I've ever had. There is so much choice on the menu, friendly staff and its great value. I'm hoping to go again soon.

Greenville, South Carolina
“Great find in Canterbury-- Delicious!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

I'm so glad we found this restaurant on TripAdvisor before leaving on our trip to Canterbury, as the outside of the restaurant is unassuming, and it's found on a road with many other places to eat. But don't let appearances fool you; the inside is warm and welcoming, and the food is delicious.

The Refectory Kitchen is found on the walk from Canterbury West train station to the historic west gate to the city, so it was a perfect place to stop on a cold, rainy morning. We had a late breakfast/early lunch. My husband had parsnip soup, which was creamy and delicious. My son and I both had the smoked mackerel (smoked fresh by the restaurant), duck egg, and rice dish (came with a curry ketchup). It was so delicious, and it was definitely one of my favorite meals on my 10-day trip to England. We also had the espresso, which was great.

Our waiter was so friendly and helpful, answering every question or request with a smile and "no probs." He was great! The bathroom was also clean, which is important to me in an eating establishment.

We wish we could have tried more of their yummy-sounding foods, including their smoked cheese and lots of great-looking sweets.

We would love to return to Canterbury and the Refectory Kitchen.

1 Thank SunriseEspresso
Alicante, Spain
“Best Breakfast ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

We were introduced to this wonderful little café through our hotel, the ´Arthouse B and B´ as breakfast here was included in our deal. The breakfast menú is extensive and offers much more than your average eatery with a huge range of breakfast options as well as the obligatory english breakfast, which was one of the best I have ever had. The staff were also really friendly and attentive. Could´nt recommend this place more

Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Best Breakfast Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

We've lived in Canterbury for over 10 years now and often head into town on a Sunday for some breakfast and shopping so it's safe to say we've eaten everywhere that does one! Never before have I felt the need to write about somewhere but this is the exception. It was an amazing breakfast, reasonably priced, the ingredients were all fresh and the service was fantastic. Hard to see us ever going anywhere else again.

• Visited September 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Unusual breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

Went to Canterbury today and looked at trip adviser to decide where would be good for breakfast. We decided to go to this restaurant (useless we saw somewhere we liked better en route -which we didn't ). You walk along the high street throughout the West Gate and a minute further. The environment in the restaurant is very pleasant and the waiter was very attentive. I had scotch pan cakes with bacon and maple syrup and cappachino . It was very taste. I would recommend going there.

• Visited September 2013