“What a fabulous little gem”
Review of Canterbury Hotel

Canterbury Hotel
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Canterbury
Cornwall, United Kingdom
“What a fabulous little gem”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed here for one night on 11th March. I picked the hotel based on the reviews on this site and I was not disappointed.
My room was a standard room and it was lovely with plenty of space and a proper bathroom - with great little extras - a dental kit; proper bath robes; an ironing board and iron; a room safe. My coat hangers were all wooden and there were plenty of them!

The staff were all very polite and really helpful.

It is only a 15 minute walk in to the heart of Canterbury where there is a huge choice of restaurants.

The only note of caution I would advise is that although there is parking at the hotel, it is not a huge car park so you need to be confident of your parking ability and it really isn't suitable for vans.

However I would happily stay here again and would recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Reviewed March 13, 2014

A group of mummies booked a spa evening the service was fantastic the treatments were brilliant. The staff were so friendly and welcoming. We were all very relaxed and can't wait to book again. The range of treatments and the value for money is great. Really recommended for relaxing session of me time

• Stayed March 2014
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

This is a perfectly pleasant hotel a short walking distance from Canterbury City Centre. Our room was clean and well presented with a comfortable bed. Overall a fairly decent 3 star hotel, with a few minor details to improve, such as a dead flower arrangement on reception, and coat hangers which fell apart. However, the full English breakfast has to be the worst I have ever tasted, which was a shame. Spotlessly clean throughout with friendly and attentive staff.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tony W
Lynda D, Owner at Canterbury Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Thank you Tony for your review. I'm very glad that in the main, you both enjoyed your stay at Canterbury Hotel. I really don't understand what happened with your breakfast, as we are constantly praised for the quality of our food, and strive to keep the standard high at all times. I can only apologise that, on that day, it was not to your liking. Although if you had told a member of staff that you were unhappy during your breakfast, they would have brought you a replacement immediately.

It was also unfortunate that you happened to be checking out just as I was swapping the older flowers for the new arrangement!

I do hope that in spite of this, you both liked the beautiful roses in your room, which I personally chose for you from our local florist, which I was a bit sad to see that you had not mentioned here.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2014

We booked at the last minute via an efficient evening receptionist and stayed here for two nights in February. We thought the hotel was very good value - room was large enough for two on a short stay and included two comfortable armchairs and all amenities such as a bottle of water (many expensive hotels are mean with that) and biscuits and drinks. Breakfast was varied, generous and well-cooked. The staff were efficient and friendly. The hotel is 10 - 15 minutes walk from the cathedral but as the centre of town is pedestrianised, we didn't find this to be a problem. Would definitely stay here again and delighted to recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Judy619
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2014

After a dreadful stay at a previous hotel the night before (the fallstaff which we booked out early) we found this one on the internet and called them to see if they had a room available. The young man who answered the phone was very helpful and found us a room which was the four poster room. We were not disappointed this is a lovely room with a big bathroom very comfortable bed and nice size room, very clean and nice decor. I also had a facial at the spa which was lovely and very reasonably priced. All the staff are very friendly and attentive. The breakfast was good and again the staff very friendly and efficient. I would highly recommend this hotel and would definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Glennzoe
Middlesex
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I stayed in this lovely hotel for one night in February with my family and we really enjoyed or stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The bedroom was very clean, with a nice décor, and the beds were comfortable. The hotel has a good swimming pool, which is also very clean, and a sauna. It was quite nice to relax in the sauna after sightseeing in Canterbury all day. Breakfast is included in the price, and there was a good selection of food. The hotel is not far from the city centre, so we left the car parked in the hotel, while we went sightseeing, as parking is not free in Canterbury's city centre. The hotel has a spa, where my husband had a relaxing back massage. I definitely recommend this hotel, and I will stay there gain when I go back to Canterbury.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I booked this on spec as a valentines surprise and we weren't dissapointed.My wife and I were made to feel at home as the hotel is small but big enough to pander to our various requests.It doesn't have a restaurant but you get breakfast and there are a range of eateries and pubs nearby.There is also a small bar with an above average selection of single malts plus a spa and swimming pool.Great value for money.There are a few creaks and noises but this adds the charm of this old georgian building.We will be back!

• Stayed February 2014