“Great stay”
Review of Kipps

Kipps
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The staff were very friendly and seemed genuinely interested in their customers, and were very helpful. The hostel itself was lovely and very good value. Would definitely recommend this whether you're after a quick stop off for a night or two or a longer stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank pascallovell

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed 3 nights in June and we highly recommend it! This is a former home in a quiet residential neighborhood. We had a double room at the back of the first floor. Helpful, friendly staff. Clean, comfortable room with a nice view of the garden space out back and a sink in room (towels included). Clean WC and shower room just down the hall. Nice continental breakfast with free tea/coffee anytime. Lovely garden space out back with chairs to sit and enjoy the space or take your breakfast outside. Have kitchen facilities available which we did not use. This is a smaller hostel instead of the large, rowdy kind so you feel you can easily meet some of the other guests if you want. Nice free touches each evening included popcorn movie night, homemade truffle night and pancakes (crepe like) with Nutella and fruit. Would definitely stay again! Closer to East train station than West.

Room Tip: Double room in back on 2nd floor
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laura P
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Kipps Hostel was brilliant; the staff went out of their way to be helpful. Felt very much a home from home. My 16 month son was welcomed and respected as a guest in his own right. The rooms were innmaculate and the other guests pleasant. the beds themselves were warm and ocmfrtable; good mattresses. Had no issues whatsoever. Only downside was breakfast; £1.99 each and very basic. We brought our own food the following day which we cooked in the kitchen (Staff don't interfer or push at all!)
All in all, 10 out 10. Great place

Room Tip: Don't go for the rooms on ground floor; a lot of through traffic. Our rooms on 2nd floor were pe...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed at Kipps in May 2013, and I think it is way better than any other hostels I know. It is very clean, cosy and the staff are really friendly and helpful. You can think of this place as an old Victorian house, it feels like home. It is close to Canterbury East station, and 10 mins walk to the town centre. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: I stayed in the single room, so don't have an idea about the shared ones, but the single one had...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Such a friendly community here. I stayed in August 2012 (a bit delayed in writing my review - sorry!) but was so glad to have 4 nights here. The staff actually live in the hostel, so they take great care to make it homely, welcoming and it therefore feels like you're staying with friends - great if you're travelling on your own. Reasonably priced. Relatively close to the centre of town, with buses nearby, and two pubs very close by. Great welcome on arrival - the guy on duty carried my bag upstairs for me. Staff are from a wide variety of countries, and they're all so friendly! Stayed in a 6-bed dorm with a shared bathroom, but we all seemed to manage OK with very little waiting. Free towel, free padlock for a locker. Delightful back garden (lovingly tended by one of the staff) with secluded little areas to chat, enjoy a drink or curl up with a book. Conservatory area for breakfast - long bench tables are great for chatting and getting to know others. Plenty of breakfast options, for a small extra charge. Large kitchen with plenty of utensils etc. if you want to cook for yourself. Big lounge room with computer available. Each evening there is a theme if you want to join in - board games, video games, cake-making (I was out til 9pm and they saved me some!). Respectful of people's need to sleep - not a wild partying place (this is a positive in my view!). No real noise issues from other rooms or neighbouring properties. On a fairly quiet road too. My final night coincided with Sally Pearson's hurdles race at the London Olympics. I really really wanted to watch it, but it was video games night. Annabel (a French staff member who had lived in Australia for a while) was amazing - she arranged for the video games to be paused, watched the race with me, and jumped up and down and cheered with me when Sally won the gold medal! :-) This sort of "family" atmosphere and emotional / moral support is so important when you're in the midst of a lengthy trip ... which can become a bit "lonely" at times. If I return to Canterbury, I'll be returning to Kipps!

Room Tip: Ask for a single-storey bed (not a bunk) - more storage area underneath. Private rooms available too...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This place has been one of the most welcoming places that I have stumbled upon during my trip around Europe,so much so that it actually inspired me to write a review. It's a bit more than just quality service that they provide here, the staff seem genuinely invested in your stay, and I had the pleasure of meeting many other happy campers in my one night here. I sincerely considered staying on for a bit longer, just to enjoy the pleasant ambience of this place, but my time was unfortunately very limited. It was only a go-between for me, but I had no trouble sleeping on what I thought were more than adequate mattresses, and all of the other facilities were great too. I even managed to score a free meal of sausages. I highly recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I liked the welcome the receptionist gave us, spending almost 10 minutes of his time showing us every single amenity or service the hostel offered, walking us through it. Breakfast not included, but you can pay for it at reception and it's not expensive at all, besides no one is controlling how much you eat.
However, beds are awfully thin and uncomfortable. When you get in the bathroom it doesn't get better, it's not dirty, but you wouldn't consider it as the type of bathroom you want for your home. If rest is what you are looking for in your break in Canterbury and you have the bad luck to be accommodated next to the living room in the first floor, then you will have to accept some guitar melodies and out-of-tune voices as lullabies. The receptionist was happy to shut them up if we would asked for it, but we decided to let these Beatles wannabes have some fun too :D

In summary, if you have an average backpacker career, go for Kipps, you'll probably be familiar what you will find there.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends