“A hostel but offering service comparable to a good hotel”
Review of Kipps

Kipps
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Justifiably awarded the Number 1 spot in England more than once, exceptionally welcoming, with the friendly and helpful staff making it feel like a top family hotel. One of the few independents that can match the English YHA hostels in standards.
Free tea/coffee, sometimes even cakes/snacks available are an ideal welcome for tired travelers.
The reception sells some food and other essentials, useful as the nearest supermarkets are in the city centre, perhaps 20 minutes walk.
The area is residential, so you need to be quiet after 11.00 in the evening and get a takeaway if you wish to eat after this time, as the kitchen is closed overnight. There are plenty of restaurants and takeaways in the city centre, although the nearest pub only serves food until 8.00pm during the week, which is rather early.

Room Tip: It is a large victorian property, with high ceilings, so cool in summer. There aren't any poor...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
kippscanterbury, Owner at Kipps, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Hi
Thank you for your nice commentsand glad you agree with out No.1 spot in England.

Hope to see you back in Canterbury and at Kipps another time

Thanks
Kipps Canterbury

Reviewed December 2, 2012

I had come to Canterbury for my sons graduation and was running VERY late due to train problems from the recent bad weather. I literally ran in in a panic as my taxi was staying outside to take me to the cathedral. I breathlessly explained my plight and the lovely young lady said she would take my bag up to my room for me so i could run off. I got back after midnight, and found my room to be tidy, warm and with everything I needed (I opted for a single room with shared bathroom facilities). There was a hairdrier, tea and coffee, a washbasin, a cd player, clean towels etc. much more than I expected for a hostel. the bed was comfy with lovely fluffy pillows and I slept like a log after such a hectic stressful day! The next morning I had a shower in the shared bathroom, there were plenty of toiletries if you had forgotten your own, it was clean and a fab shower. the breakfast downstairs was lovely, you pay £1.95 and can eat all the continental breakfast you like (I did lol). Chatted to some other guests too who were very friendly. My first time in a hostel but wont be my last - if I come to Canterbury again I will be using Kipps again, cannot praise highly enough! well done guys!!

Room Tip: single rooms are available with shared bathroom facilities if you dont fancy the "dorm" ex...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I saw many hostels and so my wife did. This one was one of the best hostels ever. Adequate rooms, clean showers and toilets and very nice staff. Breakfast can be ordered on the day before, you have also the opportunity to use the kitchen to cook for yourself, thats is very helpful for backpackers. There was also free wifi and a pc for internet usage.

Nice staying at all, we can honestly recommend this hostel (unless you are group of German pupils... )

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I had an interview at the nearby uni n stayed onr night in a private room. Friendly atmosphere about the place, ppl of all nationalities, and the woman at reception was very helpful and pleasant. Room was well equipped with sink, mirror, lighting, tv/radio system, bedding, soaps and towel. Also had a hairdryer but i had bought my own. For what you pay this is a great start point for a group of friends to share a room and explore what canterbuty has to offer.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This is the best hostel I ever stayed in by far. Brilliant atmosphere, staff who go out of their way to make you feel at home, and who are full of ideas to make your stay even more pleasant (pub night and barbecue!). All this contributes to the great "family feeling" of Kipps. And, on top of that... You don't need ear plugs to enjoy a good night's sleep. I simply LOVE this place.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 20, 2012

Fine. Basic but adequate & at less than £20 it can't be bad. Lovely staff were very helpful. Beautiful garden too. Give it a try, it won't cost you much.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Stayed at Kipps for a hen night and was excellent accommodation for our needs. Weather was beautiful so we had such a good time in the garden space which was lovely and sunny and well maintained. Staff were very helpful and friendly. We did have a bit of an issue with lack of hot water for the shower...but everything else was fine. Hostel was very clean and tidy.

Room Tip: Room near the road can be quite bright and we were woken up by birds singing!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends